To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question
Author Message
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

Hi!

I saw some post about good things (fixed bugs) and bad things (system
instability) about the VFP 5.0a...

I just received the VFP5.0a cd-rom and i'm a bit scared to installed
it so...

  AM I GONNA BE MORE {*filter*}ED OR LESS {*filter*}ED WITH 5.0A ???

Please leave your personnal opinion so I can make my own...

        To or no to...

ciao

Fri, 18 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

To 5.0x from 3.0 or wait for 6.0?  :-(
Sheesh.

Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

Quote:
> To 5.0x from 3.0 or wait for 6.0?  :-(

5.0a, definitely... There should be a reasonable upgrade deal, and the
extra time spent taking advantage of 5.0 features won't be wasted (extra
fields in DBCs, DODEFAULT(), etc...)
--
Garrett Fitzgerald
Software R&D

Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

The only truly annoying thing I have found so far with the move from 5.0 to
5.0a is that they broke the Treeview control.
There is an updated (i.e., broken) COMCTL32.OCX that 5.0a installs.  The
good news is that (at least for us) the Treeview that we had put in an app
built with 5.0 still works just fine under 5.0a.  The not-so-good news is
that if we want to create others, we shouldn't use the 5.0a version of
COMCTL32.OCX - but we can put the old (i.e., 5.0) version of the OCX back
in the system and distribution directories.

One BIG yippee for us moving from 5.0 to 5.0a is that Visual SourceSafe
works MUCH faster.  It still doesn't do everything it says it will do (like
let you pin a different version of a VCX into a project), but it does keep
us from stomping on code.

So, I guess my response is - LESS OR EQUALLY F'd with 5.0a than 5.0.

--
Trey Walpole

-- For legit e-mail, remove underscores

Use of the return address on this message for commercial purposes
is prohibited.  The transmission of unsolicited commercial material
is prohibited under federal laws (47 USC 227).  Civil penalties and
claims of $500.00 per occurrence (47 USC 227[c]) may be
assessed for violations.

"Dream no small dreams, for they have no power to move men."
  -- Johanne Goethe

Quote:
> Hi!

> I saw some post about good things (fixed bugs) and bad things (system
> instability) about the VFP 5.0a...

> I just received the VFP5.0a cd-rom and i'm a bit scared to installed
> it so...

>   AM I GONNA BE MORE {*filter*}ED OR LESS {*filter*}ED WITH 5.0A ???

> Please leave your personnal opinion so I can make my own...

>    To or no to...

> ciao

Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

Stephane,

I've been quite happy with 5.0a

df  - (MVP FoxPro) http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/9834/

Quote:
> Please leave your personnal opinion so I can make my own...

>    To or no to...

Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

 unless you have to develop to win3.x (in which case I believe FPW2.6 is a
better option than VFP3)
definitely go with VFP5 , it is more mature than VFP3 was

Arnon

Quote:
>To 5.0x from 3.0 or wait for 6.0?
>Sheesh.

Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

Or, unless you have a boss who croaks at software costs and never-ending
updates...Personally, I like 3.0 okay.  It's not perfect, but then again,
life ain't :-)  But, then again, this is coming from someone who liked
Clipper 5.x!

Quote:
>  unless you have to develop to win3.x (in which case I believe FPW2.6 is
> better option than VFP3)
> definitely go with VFP5 , it is more mature than VFP3 was

Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

Quote:
> Or, unless you have a boss who croaks at software costs and never-ending
> updates...Personally, I like 3.0 okay.  It's not perfect, but then again,
> life ain't :-)

Well, explain to him how the de{*filter*} and the context menus will save you
lots of development time, so it will pay for itself. :-) I liked 3.0
until I started using 5.0 regularly....
--
Garrett Fitzgerald
Software R&D

Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

Quote:

> Y're gonna be LESS {*filter*}ED WITH 5.0A

> --
> Morys

Hey...Why not TRY to be professional.  This kind of message is NOT
needed or wanted here.

Thank you

Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

On Wed, 03 Sep 1997 15:22:16 -0700, "Nancy Folsom"

Quote:
>Hee hee hee hee hee.  You're a card, Garrett!  :-)  If I get to go to
>DEVCON, I'll be amazed!

Maybe next year I'll make it. :-) For some reason, my wife doesn't
want me to be on the other side of the country the week before our
daughter is due to be born... (Sounds better than 'couldn't afford
it', doesn't it? :-) )

The "Database programmers' guide to elephant hunting" claims that
Foxpro programmers spend so much time learning the latest and greatest
hunting techniques that they never actually get to see an elephant...
:-)
Garrett Fitzgerald
R&D Programmer
MicroKnowledge, Inc.
Bangor, ME

Tue, 22 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 To 5.0a or not to 5.0a, that's the question

On Fri, 05 Sep 1997 07:58:42 -0700, "Nancy Folsom"

Quote:
>> For some reason, my wife doesn't
>> want me to be on the other side of the country the week before our
>> daughter is due to be born...
>Hey, a girl!  Good luck to you and your wife.  Is it your first child?

Yup -- wish us luck. :-)
Garrett Fitzgerald
R&D Programmer
MicroKnowledge, Inc.
Bangor, ME

Fri, 25 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Follow up question to previous thread on VFP 5.0a query questions

2. Follow up question to previous thread on VFP 5.0a query questions

3. VFP5.0a Placemenu of MPR's

4. VFP 5.0a and NT 4 -- App Won't Start

5. VFP 5.0a TLB's

6. VFP 5.0a: Record locking doesn't seem to work in NetWare 3.11

7. VP5.0a won't recognize recompilations?

8. displaying jpg's on a form in VFP5.0a

9. bar code not printing in distibution copy from foxpro 5.0a

10. VFP5.0a: flock() not waiting between data sessions ??

11. When is a Macro not a Macro in VFP3.0a

12. FirstElement not working in 5.0a comboboxes?