FP 2.5 Dos - Too many files open
Author Message
 FP 2.5 Dos - Too many files open

I am recreating an environment to convert an old FP 2.5 program and i get
the message "Too many files open" when trying to open all the database
tables used by this program. I have tried setting the Files environment
variable in config.sys to both 100 and 200  and i have tried increasing the
buffers variable but i still get the same message. I am running Foxpro from
a Dos command prompt under Windows NT WS 4.0 with SP3.

Does anyone remember the cause of this error, i think it was rather common
some years ago.

Thanks in advance!
David Jenssen

Wed, 04 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FP 2.5 Dos - Too many files open

What else do you have open in terms of other programs? This sort of problem
happens frequently in 32-bit multi-tasking environs (with several programs
open)and Fox wants more memory to work with.
Mike Ballai

Try DBRITE -- the better FoxPro Tablemaker shareware program

Wed, 04 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FP 2.5 Dos - Too many files open

Quote:

> I am recreating an environment to convert an old FP 2.5 program and i get
> the message "Too many files open" when trying to open all the database
> tables used by this program. I have tried setting the Files environment
> variable in config.sys to both 100 and 200  and i have tried increasing the
> buffers variable but i still get the same message. I am running Foxpro from
> a Dos command prompt under Windows NT WS 4.0 with SP3.

> Does anyone remember the cause of this error, i think it was rather common
> some years ago.

> Thanks in advance!
> David Jenssen

  It sounds like your computer is loading the standard version of FP rather
than the extended version.  The standard version only supports 25 work areas.

After loading FP type ?VERS() at the command prompt, if the display does not
include (X) after the 2.5 then the standard version is loaded.

To solve the problem assign sufficient extended memory to the app.

Thu, 05 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FP 2.5 Dos - Too many files open

Quote:
> I am recreating an environment to convert an old FP 2.5 program and i get
> the message "Too many files open" when trying to open all the database
> tables used by this program. I have tried setting the Files environment
> variable in config.sys to both 100 and 200  and i have tried increasing the

CONGIG.SYS? I thought under Windows NT4.0 it is called CONFIG.NT that is
in the \WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory. And be sure to have enough memory so
that you can run the eXtended version (the (X) in the blue start screen).
How that is arranged under NT I'm not sure of it.

Here are my config.nt lines (without the REM lines)

ECHOCONFIG
dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=100

--
Groetjes,
   Wim de Lange

(remove _noSpam before replying)

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FP 2.5 Dos - Too many files open

Quote:
> I am recreating an environment to convert an old FP 2.5 program and i get
> the message "Too many files open" when trying to open all the database
> tables used by this program. I have tried setting the Files environment
> variable in config.sys to both 100 and 200  and i have tried increasing the

CONGIG.SYS? I thought under Windows NT4.0 it is called CONFIG.NT that is
in the \WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory. And be sure to have enough memory so
that you can run the eXtended version (the (X) in the blue start screen).
How that is arranged under NT I'm not sure of it.

Here are my config.nt lines (without the REM lines)

ECHOCONFIG
dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=100

--
Groetjes,
   Wim de Lange

(remove _noSpam before replying)

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. fp 2.5 DOS - too many files open

2. I need a patch to FP 2.5 or 2.6 for DOS to make *.exe files

3. Unable to open requested tables error in FP 2.5

4. newbie question, FP 2.5 DOS

5. Comm libraries and FP 2.5/6 DOS, 2.6/Win

6. Upgrading from FP 2.5 for DOS

7. FP DOS 2.5 and Invisible Buttons!

8. spawning LARGE dos apps from extended FP 2.5?

9. RQBE and Label not doing what it should (FP 2.5 for DOS)

10. Adding a MESSAGE to the choice in menu builder FP 2.5 DOS

11. Distribution Kit for FP 2.5 DOS

12. FP DOS 2.5 Consultant needed - Cambridge, MA