SQL Server Transactions
Author Message
 SQL Server Transactions

My company is working on its first SQL server application and we are
having a few problems that I am sure others have addressed. So hear goes
my question.

We are using MS VFP 5.0a as the front end and are sending SQL Pass
through statements for beginning tranasction , rollbacks & commit

as follows

=SQLEXEC(lnConnectionHandle,'BEGIN TRANSACTION)

etc.

We are in the developement phase of the app and when I am in the middle
of a transaction it seems no other developer can gain access to the SQL
server tables I am in the middle of a transaction with, Granted while I
am debugging and stepping through my code the tranaction is "Open/Alive"
for 5 mins or so when in reality at run time it might be only 3-5
seconds.

Any ideas about how SQL is locking tables,pages etc while a transaction
is in progress or why others would be locking up while I am debuging my
transaction? By locking up I mean the other deveoplers are using VFP
5.0a and it becomes "not responging" and has to be shut down by task
manager. And sometimes the server has to be stoped and restarted in
order for any one to continue.

Thanks,
Jerry Rodgers
DesignMind Inc,
Berkeley, CA

Sat, 09 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Controlling SQL Server transactions in VFP6

2. Begin - End Transaction & SQL Server

3. Transactions with VFP & SQL SERVER

4. VFP w/ SQL Server 6.5 - transactions question

5. Transactions (updating tables on 2 servers or more)

6. MS Transaction Server and VFP5

7. Very Slow Transactions when VFP Database stored on Windows 2000 Server or Professional redirector

8. Error using VFP7 transaction processing on Win2K File Server

9. Problem accessing VFP data through SQL Server linked server

10. SQL transactions last too long

11. Is Transaction Processing Necessary When Using SQL Statements?

12. SQL-SELECT and transactions