BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step
Author Message
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Has anyone had the occasion to use this book and its accompanying floppy? It's published by
Microsoft Press and "written" by a subcontractor, Technical Learning Resources.

I'm finding that the data provided in the tutorial samples is flawed, i.e. you can't complete
tutorials in the book because sample data is not there as referred to.  Sometimes the lessons
will crash because of variables not found, etc.  Not exactly a friendly hand-holding introduction
to VFP!

I've called Microsoft (why?) and was referred to 5 different telephone numbers:  1) Microsoft
Press recording referred me to 2) Foxpro tech support who referred me to 3) Microsoft Sales who
referred me to a "live" number at 4) Microsoft Press who referred me to 5) Microsoft Office Tech
support (I think they were just trying to get rid of me!)

I was just trying to see if there was a newer floppy available than the one that came with the
book.  Oh well.  Anybody out there using this book/floppy have a similar experience to me?
I'll probably just struggle through the parts of the tutorials that do work...and then go buy
another book not published by Microsoft.

Thanks for listening!

Matt Bloomfield

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Matt,

A corrections disk exists.  I apologize but I do not remember the source -
believe it was the VFP Support Home Page...

If all fails let me know.  I will e-mail the file to you.

Carl Lindner

Quote:
> Has anyone had the occasion to use this book and its accompanying floppy?
It's published by
> Microsoft Press and "written" by a subcontractor, Technical Learning
Resources.

> I'm finding that the data provided in the tutorial samples is flawed,

i.e. you can't complete
Quote:
> tutorials in the book because sample data is not there as referred to.

Sometimes the lessons
Quote:
> will crash because of variables not found, etc.  Not exactly a friendly

hand-holding introduction
Quote:
> to VFP!

> I've called Microsoft (why?) and was referred to 5 different telephone

numbers:  1) Microsoft
Quote:
> Press recording referred me to 2) Foxpro tech support who referred me to

3) Microsoft Sales who
Quote:
> referred me to a "live" number at 4) Microsoft Press who referred me to

5) Microsoft Office Tech
Quote:
> support (I think they were just trying to get rid of me!)

> I was just trying to see if there was a newer floppy available than the

one that came with the
Quote:
> book.  Oh well.  Anybody out there using this book/floppy have a similar
experience to me?
> I'll probably just struggle through the parts of the tutorials that do

work...and then go buy
Quote:
> another book not published by Microsoft.

> Thanks for listening!

> Matt Bloomfield

Tue, 11 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Quote:
>Matt,

>A corrections disk exists.  I apologize but I do not remember the source -
>believe it was the VFP Support Home Page...

>If all fails let me know.  I will e-mail the file to you.

>Carl Lindner

Carl,

Thank you!  After bouncing around several Microsoft web pages, I finally did
locate the correction file and downloaded it.  If only one of the
five people I talked to at Microsoft could have told me this!

Thanks again...

Matt Bloomfield

Wed, 12 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

2. WTB: MS Visual Foxpro 3.0 Step-by-step

3. Visual FoxPro 3 For Windows Step by Step

4. Step by step book for Macintosh

5. Any other step by step example for Web Connection

6. VFP3 for Windows Step by Step

7. VFP50a - SET STEP ON / SET STEP OFF?

8. Codebook 3.0 - A step-by-Step Guide" by Paul Bienick.

9. Stepping through Fields in a .DBF

10. Set Step On with OLE ?

11. TAPI - First Step

12. Help with multiple step reports