FoxPro 6 Transaction limits???
Author Message
 FoxPro 6 Transaction limits???

I have an associate who is being told that they are
exceeding the limit of the number of transactions the
FoxPro 6 DB can support.....

There current solution is to constantly rePack and
reIndex the DB...

Q1.  Is there a limit to the number of concurrent
transactions of the native FoxPro6 DB
Q1a. If so the what is the limit?

Q2.  Anny suggestions or ideas or additional questions I
can ask of them to help resolve the issue?

Thanks
Phill

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 05:31:23 GMT
 FoxPro 6 Transaction limits???
Hi Phill,

Lee thought you were referring to nesting levels of BEGIN TRANSACTION ...
END TRANSACTION, but I have a different take on your problem - I thought you
were referring to a generally high level of inserts, changes, and deletions
in your tables, brought about by a large number of busy users.

When tables are large, usage is heavy, or the network is unreliable, some
data problems can be eliminated by moving to SQL Server.

Your associate is "being told" that they are reaching the limits. Exactly
what are the _symptoms_? Factors to consider other than the possibility that
they are "outgrowing" their tables would be poor application design, poor
network connections, and users who turn their computers off without shutting
down properly ("pulling the plug" without closing all running apps first).

Finally, any corruption in an index file is not eliminated with the REINDEX
command. You need to DELETE TAG ALL followed by INDEX ON ... or the
corruption will persist.

> I have an associate who is being told that they are
> exceeding the limit of the number of transactions the
> FoxPro 6 DB can support.....

> There current solution is to constantly rePack and
> reIndex the DB...

> Q1.  Is there a limit to the number of concurrent
> transactions of the native FoxPro6 DB
> Q1a. If so the what is the limit?

> Q2.  Anny suggestions or ideas or additional questions I
> can ask of them to help resolve the issue?

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:29:43 GMT

1. Begin-end transaction limit

2. Transaction Tracking with FoxPro 2.x

3. Transaction mechanism in FoxPro 2.6 for DOS

4. FoxPro 2.6 Transactions Fail with VB5

5. What Version of FoxPro Supports VB5 Transactions?

6. ** Transaction Tracking with Visual FoxPro **

7. Foxpro 2.6 limiting the amount of users

8. FoxPro 2.6 limits

9. How to limit memory in FoxPro 2.6a for DOS

10. Foxpro 2Gig Filesize Limit

11. limits of scalability of foxpro 2.6 (for windows)

12. FoxPro speed limit again