FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
Author Message
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run

I have an application written in FoxPro 2.6.  It runs fine on many PCs
(even the ones above 333 MHZ after applying a patch), except one PC.
It seems that my application starts loading but then disappears
completely.  Does anyone know by any chance what is the problem or
where can I start looking for a solution?  The specific PC has Windows
NT as an operating system.  Please, help me!
Thanks in advance,
Ewa

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:18:52 GMT
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
Ewa,
Are you asking about a FPD or a FPW 2.6 application? (FoxPro for DOS or
FoxPro for Windows). How much memory is on the system? What settings
(especially MEMLIMIT) do you have in the CONFIG.FP (or .FPW) file? Is the
data local or on a network?

Rick

Quote:
> I have an application written in FoxPro 2.6.  It runs fine on many PCs
> (even the ones above 333 MHZ after applying a patch), except one PC.
> It seems that my application starts loading but then disappears
> completely.  Does anyone know by any chance what is the problem or
> where can I start looking for a solution?  The specific PC has Windows
> NT as an operating system.  Please, help me!
> Thanks in advance,
> Ewa

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:30:55 GMT
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
It's a FoxPro for Windows (FPW 2.6).  The computer has 32 Meg of RAM.
The MEMLIMIT=70,3072 in my config.fpw file.  The database is on the
network.

The application was first run from the network also, but it didn't
work, so it was installed locally, which didn't help either.

I never before looked at or paid attention to the config.fpw file.
Here is all it's contents:
KEYCOMP = WINDOWS
MVCOUNT=600
MEMLIMIT=70,3072
EXCLUSIVE=OFF
CATMAN=OFF

Thank you,
Ewa

Quote:

> Ewa,
> Are you asking about a FPD or a FPW 2.6 application? (FoxPro for DOS or
> FoxPro for Windows). How much memory is on the system? What settings
> (especially MEMLIMIT) do you have in the CONFIG.FP (or .FPW) file? Is the
> data local or on a network?

> Rick

> > I have an application written in FoxPro 2.6.  It runs fine on many PCs
> > (even the ones above 333 MHZ after applying a patch), except one PC.
> > It seems that my application starts loading but then disappears
> > completely.  Does anyone know by any chance what is the problem or
> > where can I start looking for a solution?  The specific PC has Windows
> > NT as an operating system.  Please, help me!
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ewa

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:58:35 GMT
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
Ewa,
You might want to add the third parameter (maximum RAM) to the MEMLIMIT
line. e.g. I use:
MEMLIMIT = 60, 2048, 15360

FPW can't use more than 16mb (but it may try anyway <s>), due to the
underlying memory manager assumptions. (Remember when FPW was first
released, 4mb was a lot and only "servers" had more than 16mb!)

Rick

Quote:
> It's a FoxPro for Windows (FPW 2.6).  The computer has 32 Meg of RAM.
> The MEMLIMIT=70,3072 in my config.fpw file.  The database is on the
> network.

> The application was first run from the network also, but it didn't
> work, so it was installed locally, which didn't help either.

> I never before looked at or paid attention to the config.fpw file.
> Here is all it's contents:
> KEYCOMP = WINDOWS
> MVCOUNT=600
> MEMLIMIT=70,3072
> EXCLUSIVE=OFF
> CATMAN=OFF

> Thank you,
> Ewa

> > Ewa,
> > Are you asking about a FPD or a FPW 2.6 application? (FoxPro for DOS or
> > FoxPro for Windows). How much memory is on the system? What settings
> > (especially MEMLIMIT) do you have in the CONFIG.FP (or .FPW) file? Is
the
> > data local or on a network?

> > Rick

> > > I have an application written in FoxPro 2.6.  It runs fine on many PCs
> > > (even the ones above 333 MHZ after applying a patch), except one PC.
> > > It seems that my application starts loading but then disappears
> > > completely.  Does anyone know by any chance what is the problem or
> > > where can I start looking for a solution?  The specific PC has Windows
> > > NT as an operating system.  Please, help me!
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Ewa

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:25:17 GMT
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
If it's NT it might be a lack of environment space - especially if your Task
Manager shows a NTVDM process sucking up CPU time. Try putting this in your
\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT

SHELL=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\COMMAND.COM /e:2048

Then restart.

Quote:
> It's a FoxPro for Windows (FPW 2.6).  The computer has 32 Meg of RAM.
> The MEMLIMIT=70,3072 in my config.fpw file.  The database is on the
> network.

> The application was first run from the network also, but it didn't
> work, so it was installed locally, which didn't help either.

> I never before looked at or paid attention to the config.fpw file.
> Here is all it's contents:
> KEYCOMP = WINDOWS
> MVCOUNT=600
> MEMLIMIT=70,3072
> EXCLUSIVE=OFF
> CATMAN=OFF

> Thank you,
> Ewa

> > Ewa,
> > Are you asking about a FPD or a FPW 2.6 application? (FoxPro for DOS or
> > FoxPro for Windows). How much memory is on the system? What settings
> > (especially MEMLIMIT) do you have in the CONFIG.FP (or .FPW) file? Is
the
> > data local or on a network?

> > Rick

> > > I have an application written in FoxPro 2.6.  It runs fine on many PCs
> > > (even the ones above 333 MHZ after applying a patch), except one PC.
> > > It seems that my application starts loading but then disappears
> > > completely.  Does anyone know by any chance what is the problem or
> > > where can I start looking for a solution?  The specific PC has Windows
> > > NT as an operating system.  Please, help me!
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Ewa

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:33:14 GMT
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
It still doesn't work!
I added the suggested (by "Surge") line into the
\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT file, rebooted the system, lunched the
application (written in FPW 2.6), but it closes after a second.  Any
other suggestions??? Please, help.

Ewa

Quote:

> If it's NT it might be a lack of environment space - especially if your Task
> Manager shows a NTVDM process sucking up CPU time. Try putting this in your
> \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT

> SHELL=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\COMMAND.COM /e:2048

> Then restart.

> > It's a FoxPro for Windows (FPW 2.6).  The computer has 32 Meg of RAM.
> > The MEMLIMIT=70,3072 in my config.fpw file.  The database is on the
> > network.

> > The application was first run from the network also, but it didn't
> > work, so it was installed locally, which didn't help either.

> > I never before looked at or paid attention to the config.fpw file.
> > Here is all it's contents:
> > KEYCOMP = WINDOWS
> > MVCOUNT=600
> > MEMLIMIT=70,3072
> > EXCLUSIVE=OFF
> > CATMAN=OFF

> > Thank you,
> > Ewa

> > > Ewa,
> > > Are you asking about a FPD or a FPW 2.6 application? (FoxPro for DOS or
> > > FoxPro for Windows). How much memory is on the system? What settings
> > > (especially MEMLIMIT) do you have in the CONFIG.FP (or .FPW) file? Is
>  the
> > > data local or on a network?

> > > Rick

Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:48:41 GMT
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
That MEMLIMIT line looks a bit weird actually. Try removing it temporarily
and see what happens.

Quote:
> It still doesn't work!
> I added the suggested (by "Surge") line into the
> \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT file, rebooted the system, lunched the
> application (written in FPW 2.6), but it closes after a second.  Any
> other suggestions??? Please, help.

> Ewa

Quote:
> > If it's NT it might be a lack of environment space - especially if your
Task
> > Manager shows a NTVDM process sucking up CPU time. Try putting this in
your
> > \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT

> > SHELL=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\COMMAND.COM /e:2048

> > Then restart.

> > > It's a FoxPro for Windows (FPW 2.6).  The computer has 32 Meg of RAM.
> > > The MEMLIMIT=70,3072 in my config.fpw file.  The database is on the
> > > network.

> > > The application was first run from the network also, but it didn't
> > > work, so it was installed locally, which didn't help either.

> > > I never before looked at or paid attention to the config.fpw file.
> > > Here is all it's contents:
> > > KEYCOMP = WINDOWS
> > > MVCOUNT=600
> > > MEMLIMIT=70,3072
> > > EXCLUSIVE=OFF
> > > CATMAN=OFF

> > > Thank you,
> > > Ewa

Is
> >  the

PCs
PC.
Windows

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:34:43 GMT
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
I followed your advice, Rick, and corrected the MEMLIMIT line.  I
tried the exact one you are using.  Still no luck!  I don't know what
to do.  Any other advice?  Please, help.

Thanks,
Ewa

Quote:

> Ewa,
> You might want to add the third parameter (maximum RAM) to the MEMLIMIT
> line. e.g. I use:
> MEMLIMIT = 60, 2048, 15360

> FPW can't use more than 16mb (but it may try anyway <s>), due to the
> underlying memory manager assumptions. (Remember when FPW was first
> released, 4mb was a lot and only "servers" had more than 16mb!)

> Rick

> > It's a FoxPro for Windows (FPW 2.6).  The computer has 32 Meg of RAM.
> > The MEMLIMIT=70,3072 in my config.fpw file.  The database is on the
> > network.

> > The application was first run from the network also, but it didn't
> > work, so it was installed locally, which didn't help either.

> > I never before looked at or paid attention to the config.fpw file.
> > Here is all it's contents:
> > KEYCOMP = WINDOWS
> > MVCOUNT=600
> > MEMLIMIT=70,3072
> > EXCLUSIVE=OFF
> > CATMAN=OFF

> > Thank you,
> > Ewa

> > > Ewa,
> > > Are you asking about a FPD or a FPW 2.6 application? (FoxPro for DOS or
> > > FoxPro for Windows). How much memory is on the system? What settings
> > > (especially MEMLIMIT) do you have in the CONFIG.FP (or .FPW) file? Is
>  the
> > > data local or on a network?

> > > Rick

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:49:49 GMT
 FoxPro 2.6 application cannot run
Do the systems where it's working have anything in the Config.nt file? Check
them against the system where it's not working...

--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro

"The only glory most of us have to
hope for is the glory of being normal."

        - Katherine Fullerton Gerould

Quote:
> I followed your advice, Rick, and corrected the MEMLIMIT line.  I
> tried the exact one you are using.  Still no luck!  I don't know what
> to do.  Any other advice?  Please, help.

> Thanks,
> Ewa

Quote:
> > Ewa,
> > You might want to add the third parameter (maximum RAM) to the MEMLIMIT
> > line. e.g. I use:
> > MEMLIMIT = 60, 2048, 15360

> > FPW can't use more than 16mb (but it may try anyway <s>), due to the
> > underlying memory manager assumptions. (Remember when FPW was first
> > released, 4mb was a lot and only "servers" had more than 16mb!)

> > Rick

> > > It's a FoxPro for Windows (FPW 2.6).  The computer has 32 Meg of RAM.
> > > The MEMLIMIT=70,3072 in my config.fpw file.  The database is on the
> > > network.

> > > The application was first run from the network also, but it didn't
> > > work, so it was installed locally, which didn't help either.

> > > I never before looked at or paid attention to the config.fpw file.
> > > Here is all it's contents:
> > > KEYCOMP = WINDOWS
> > > MVCOUNT=600
> > > MEMLIMIT=70,3072
> > > EXCLUSIVE=OFF
> > > CATMAN=OFF

> > > Thank you,
> > > Ewa

Is
> >  the

PCs
PC.
Windows

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:11:19 GMT

1. Cannot run Foxpro 2.6 Dos EXE program under Windows

2. Foxpro 2.6 for window cannot run under win 98

3. FOXPRO 2.6, Run Application Without Window Title bar?

4. Converted vpf3.0a application cannot run, help

5. Visual Foxpro databases cannot open in foxpro 2.6

6. Visual Foxpro DBF cannot open in Foxpro 2.6

7. FPW 2.6: Running Report from Application ???

8. Problems running FPW 2.6 application in VFP 5.0a

9. Running FoxPro 2.5 Applications under Visual FoxPro

10. FoxPro 2.0 runtime EXE cannot run under WIN95

11. Foxpro 2.6 Win - Cannot Read from Drive A:

12. Cannot connect to Foxpro 2.6 DBF file