still having problems- hiding input fields
Author Message
 still having problems- hiding input fields

ok, here's my situation again...

i've got a window that will always display basic information (job#, client
name, client contact, client phone #, etc.).  the lower 2/3rds of the
window need to serve several functions...what is being displayed in this
area of the window is dependent upon the user's selection in a popup.

the lower 2/3rds of the window will display either a job's scheduling
information (several check boxes, buttons, and output fields), a job's
specifications (output fields), or a job's history/notes (two memo
fields). therefore the popup choices are schedule, specs, and history.

obviously if schedule is selected, i don't want the fields associated with
specs and history showing on the screen.  this is how i assume it would be
done if say, schedule was showing, and the user selects 'specs'.

-disable all the schedule fields
-draw a box over the schedule fields
-enable the specs fields

here's my question...where would this code go?  i can't find a "bring to
front" command...ideally i would simply bring the same rectangle to the
front, then bring all the specs fields to the front, then enable them.

help!!!!!

(thanks to those who got me _this_ far!)

--
Narayan Nayar

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 still having problems- hiding input fields
"Bring to front" is an "Object" menu selection in the screen builder.  All
it does is change the object order, so that an object is displayed on top
of the objects behind it.

To do what your asking, you need create a variable that describes the
layout of the screen, i.e. variable piScreen, where 0=no additional info,
1=schedule, 2=specs, 3=history.  Declare this in your setup code, and
assign it a value based on which info you want to be displayed initially.
Then, in the SHOW clause for your screen, have a case statement like this:

DO CASE

   CASE piScreen = 0
      * Disable all additional info fields
      * Draw a filled box over the unwanted fields, same color as the
background

   CASE piScreen = 1
      * Disable all non-schedule fields
      * Draw a filled box over the unwanted fields, same color as the
background
      * Enable all schedule fields

   CASE piScreen = 2
      * Disable all non-spec fields
      * Draw a filled box over the unwanted fields, same color as the
background
      * Enable all spec fields

   CASE piScreen = 3
      * Disable all non-history fields
      * Draw a filled box over the unwanted fields, same color as the
background
      * Enable all history fields

ENDCASE

This will do what you're wanting.  By placing the fields correctly, you
can actually have the same area of the screen used by different fields,
since the unused fields will be hidden behind the box that you draw.

Good luck!

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 still having problems- hiding input fields

N>ok, here's my situation again...

N>i've got a window that will always display basic information (job#,
N>client name, client contact, client phone #, etc.).  the lower 2/3rds
N>of the window need to serve several functions...what is being
N>displayed in this area of the window is dependent upon the user's
N>selection in a popup.

N>the lower 2/3rds of the window will display either a job's scheduling
N>information (several check boxes, buttons, and output fields), a job's
N>specifications (output fields), or a job's history/notes (two memo
N>fields). therefore the popup choices are schedule, specs, and history.

N>obviously if schedule is selected, i don't want the fields associated
N>with specs and history showing on the screen.  this is how i assume it
N>would be done if say, schedule was showing, and the user selects
N>'specs'.

N>-disable all the schedule fields
N>-draw a box over the schedule fields
N>-enable the specs fields

N>here's my question...where would this code go?  i can't find a "bring
N>to front" command...ideally i would simply bring the same rectangle to
N>the front, then bring all the specs fields to the front, then enable
N>them.

N>help!!!!!

N>(thanks to those who got me _this_ far!)

N>--
N>Narayan Nayar

How about creating three different windows, one for each option.  In the
valid clause(s) of the selection field(s) activate the required window
in the bottom of the screen.

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 still having problems- hiding input fields

Quote:
> How about creating three different windows, one for each option.  In the
> valid clause(s) of the selection field(s) activate the required window
> in the bottom of the screen.

actually, i've gotten some extremely good responses, and am on my way to
implementing them.  not to say your's is not a good response...i was
thinking of that.  thanks to all who responded, and if anyone following
this thread is interested in the answers, i've saved the posts to a file
(with due credits)

thanks again,

narayan nayar

--
Narayan Nayar

Sat, 17 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. hiding input fields

2. Still having problems with updating scattered variables attached to fields :(

3. Character Input Control for Input Fields

4. logical field input problem

5. FPW 2.6: Problem with Input Field

6. Masking / Hiding Input Password

7. Hide field based on another field's value

8. I'm having PROBLEMS whit a project...

9. FP 2.6 having problems under NT4.0

10. vfp 3 -- still having problems

11. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAVING PROBLEMS USING A PROJECT !!!!!!!