FPW26 Updateable queries
Author Message
 FPW26 Updateable queries

Hi All

I am using some updateable queries (fpq files)  in fpw26 and they work well,
though if you look at the code in the fpq file there are no clues as to how
the query actually does its updates or how it really functions.    Does
anyone know what happens in there  or should I just "maintain the faith" ?

Regards
Al

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW26 Updateable queries
Al,

I haven't used the updateable query, but when I read the docs I notice that
it does not allow aggregate fields (SUM(), COUNT())).

I know that with the BROWSE command you can include fields from related
tables, so I'm guessing that the wizard generates a BROWSE with fields from
tables that are related by opening them up under aliases.

So that would mean that it's updateable because you're typing directly into
the original table.  Contrast this with a VFP view where you add data to a
"copy" of the data and then use buffering or whatever to synchronize the
data in the view with the data in the back-end table.

--

Cindy Winegarden
Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

Duke Children's Information Systems
Duke University Medical Center

| Hi All
|
| I am using some updateable queries (fpq files)  in fpw26 and they work
well,
| though if you look at the code in the fpq file there are no clues as to
how
| the query actually does its updates or how it really functions.    Does
| anyone know what happens in there  or should I just "maintain the faith" ?
|
| Regards
| Al

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW26 Updateable queries
Cindy

I agree with you.   I was just curious about the code because when you look
in the fpq file there are a lot of comments about SQL  and a commented  sql
statement, but  then the actual code just sets up aliases, filters and a set
of fields to browse.    It doesn't  actually run a select yet it is
generated through the query wizard.   It sounds like it might have been
marketing hype to call it an updateble query with the sql connotations when
it is just a regular browse.   No big deal just curious

Regards
Al

Quote:
> Al,

> I haven't used the updateable query, but when I read the docs I notice
that
> it does not allow aggregate fields (SUM(), COUNT())).

> I know that with the BROWSE command you can include fields from related
> tables, so I'm guessing that the wizard generates a BROWSE with fields
from
> tables that are related by opening them up under aliases.

> So that would mean that it's updateable because you're typing directly
into
> the original table.  Contrast this with a VFP view where you add data to a
> "copy" of the data and then use buffering or whatever to synchronize the
> data in the view with the data in the back-end table.

> --

> Cindy Winegarden
> Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

> Duke Children's Information Systems
> Duke University Medical Center

> | Hi All
> |
> | I am using some updateable queries (fpq files)  in fpw26 and they work
> well,
> | though if you look at the code in the fpq file there are no clues as to
> how
> | the query actually does its updates or how it really functions.    Does
> | anyone know what happens in there  or should I just "maintain the faith"
?

> | Regards
> | Al

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Updateable query question

2. FPW26 Query Problem - I'm perplexed

3. FPW26 Query Stumper

4. Ad-hoc Query for fpw26

5. Super Query for fpw26

6. User-defined Query program for fpw26

7. FPW26 Ad-hoc Query App. available

8. Ad-hoc User-defined Query for fpw26

9. Query Tool for fpw26 - see web site

10. Cool! Ad-hoc Query tool for fpw26

11. New User-Defined / Ad-hoc Query tool for fpw26 - see web site

12. FPW26 Query Stumper