Why project manager does not manage projects?
Author Message
 Why project manager does not manage projects?

Hi all,

Re VFP 6.0

Comments would be appreciated from seasoned users....

One of course has to create a 'project' in order to finally get an EXE
(which is a bummer by the way)

If you compile your exe to where your stuff is - NO PROGRAM.....
So you gotta put your exe somewhere else (also a bummer)

Then you tell the project manager when 'building an exe'....
 o.k. put the exe in this new subdir.....

The project manager Fails to manage the project,
i.e.
it puts your Exe in your new subdir ...

and along with your EXE - it puts "nothing" .... some project manager!

Why the heck?
Why could it not put all the dependancies it needs in there with it?
(it knows what they all are!)

So now you gotta go manually hunting for all the 'parts' you
need...hopefully you get them all...... and hope than none are
missing if you want to distribute?

Am I missing the plot somewhere.......

Thank you,

Derek
Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Why project manager does not manage projects?
Comments inline below.

--

Cindy Winegarden
Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

Duke Children's Information Systems
Duke University Medical Center

| Hi all,
|
| Re VFP 6.0
|
| Comments would be appreciated from seasoned users....
|
| One of course has to create a 'project' in order to finally get an EXE
| (which is a bummer by the way)

I like the project manager because I can open all my files from there - but
what's easy for me may not be the same for you.  Depends on what you're used
to.

| If you compile your exe to where your stuff is - NO PROGRAM.....
| So you gotta put your exe somewhere else (also a bummer)

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  You can always compile a program to an
FXP file.  I compile my EXE right where all the rest of the project-related
files are.  Did you possibly have the default directory set wrong?

| Then you tell the project manager when 'building an exe'....
|  o.k. put the exe in this new subdir.....
|
| The project manager Fails to manage the project,
| i.e.
| it puts your Exe in your new subdir ...
|
| and along with your EXE - it puts "nothing" .... some project manager!

"nothing" - were you expecting the FoxPro runtimes? (Vfp6renu.dll and
Vfp6r.dll)  Please read chapters 25 and 26 in the docs about the setup
wizard.

| Why the heck?
| Why could it not put all the dependancies it needs in there with it?
| (it knows what they all are!)

Again, please read the docs.

| So now you gotta go manually hunting for all the 'parts' you
| need...hopefully you get them all...... and hope than none are
| missing if you want to distribute?

Ditto.

| Am I missing the plot somewhere.......
|
| Thank you,
|
| Derek
| Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Why project manager does not manage projects?
Ah, spot the C programmer. It's a lot simpler beast than a C++ or Delphi
compiler or whatever.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> Re VFP 6.0

> Comments would be appreciated from seasoned users....

> One of course has to create a 'project' in order to finally get an EXE
> (which is a bummer by the way)

> If you compile your exe to where your stuff is - NO PROGRAM.....
> So you gotta put your exe somewhere else (also a bummer)

> Then you tell the project manager when 'building an exe'....
>  o.k. put the exe in this new subdir.....

> The project manager Fails to manage the project,
> i.e.
> it puts your Exe in your new subdir ...

> and along with your EXE - it puts "nothing" .... some project manager!

> Why the heck?
> Why could it not put all the dependancies it needs in there with it?
> (it knows what they all are!)

> So now you gotta go manually hunting for all the 'parts' you
> need...hopefully you get them all...... and hope than none are
> missing if you want to distribute?

> Am I missing the plot somewhere.......

> Thank you,

> Derek
> Australia.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Why project manager does not manage projects?
Ok Surge,
You got me *G
(I'm guilty of both C++ and Delphi.... bad huh?)
I'ts a great product for quick and easy, once you get used
to what it does/does not do....
Best wishes,
Derek.

Quote:
> Ah, spot the C programmer. It's a lot simpler beast than a C++ or Delphi
> compiler or whatever.

> > Hi all,

> > Re VFP 6.0

> > Comments would be appreciated from seasoned users....

> > One of course has to create a 'project' in order to finally get an EXE
> > (which is a bummer by the way)

> > If you compile your exe to where your stuff is - NO PROGRAM.....
> > So you gotta put your exe somewhere else (also a bummer)

> > Then you tell the project manager when 'building an exe'....
> >  o.k. put the exe in this new subdir.....

> > The project manager Fails to manage the project,
> > i.e.
> > it puts your Exe in your new subdir ...

> > and along with your EXE - it puts "nothing" .... some project manager!

> > Why the heck?
> > Why could it not put all the dependancies it needs in there with it?
> > (it knows what they all are!)

> > So now you gotta go manually hunting for all the 'parts' you
> > need...hopefully you get them all...... and hope than none are
> > missing if you want to distribute?

> > Am I missing the plot somewhere.......

> > Thank you,

> > Derek
> > Australia.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Why project manager does not manage projects?
Hey Derek,

Quote:
> If you compile your exe to where your stuff is - NO PROGRAM.....
> So you gotta put your exe somewhere else (also a bummer)

One COMPLETE shot in the dark here.  I don't recall ever having this happen.
I have had cases where I had explorer up and on the folder where I wanted
the exe to go then rebuilt the exe.  Until I refresh explorer, the exe
doesn't show there.  Like I said, shot in the dark, but it's the closest
similar experience I've had.

HTH,

John

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Closing project manager closes open tables -why?

2. Managing VFP Project Files

3. Anyone done this: programatically modify project?

4. project manager vfp 6.0

5. Project manager behaves strange

6. Trouble with project manager in FPD

7. FXW 2.6 Project Manager

8. GENGRAPH and the project manager.

9. Project Manager complaints!

10. Help needed with FP screen builder/project manager

11. Team Project Managers for Foxpro?

12. Unresolved function in project manager build