AHA! Frameworks!
Author Message
 AHA! Frameworks!

So, there is a thing called "framework". You who are experienced please tell
me a little more about it: do you normaly use frameworks in building apps,
or does each one of you normally reinventing your own wheel.
I am ready to buy some frameworks if it makes sence. What is your (short)
oppinion on this subject? Can you recommend a useful and cheap framework
solution for me?

Thank you

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:37:54 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
Hello, MD!
You wrote  on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:37:54 +0100:

 M> So, there is a thing called "framework". You who are experienced please
 M> tell me a little more about it: do you normaly use frameworks in
 M> building apps, or does each one of you normally reinventing your own
 M> wheel. I am ready to buy some frameworks if it makes sence. What is your
 M> (short) oppinion on this subject? Can you recommend a useful and cheap
 M> framework solution for me?

 M> Thank you

There's a pretty well working framework in the TasTrade sample app. It's
free and probably already on your computer.
---
Eric den Doop

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:53:39 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
The whole *point* of object orientation is to get maximum use out of
reusable code.

Most people use a framework of some sort. Learning a framework is, itself, a
non-trivial pursuit but well worth the effort. You won't see the benefit of
a framework on your first development project. If anything, using one will
slow you down. But beginning with your second use of it, it will begin to
pay off as it will typically handle the mundane tasks that every application
must do.

Eric mentioned TasTrade. While that would get you started there is much
missing in it. The team that wrote TasTrade also wrote CodeBook which is
more complete and robust and is available for free download at
www.leafe.com.

Dan

Quote:
> So, there is a thing called "framework". You who are experienced please
tell
> me a little more about it: do you normaly use frameworks in building apps,
> or does each one of you normally reinventing your own wheel.
> I am ready to buy some frameworks if it makes sence. What is your (short)
> oppinion on this subject? Can you recommend a useful and cheap framework
> solution for me?

> Thank you

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 05:05:32 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
Thank you. I just dowloaded CodeBook.

 Are you familiar with ProMatrix Standard framework? Any oppinion on that
one?
Thank you again.

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 05:45:00 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
Yes, you really do need a framework.  I have taken the things I like from
the TasTrade framework and used it (and fixed bugs and added features, etc.)
for my own framework.  It does not do everything that the "big boys" do, but
then I don't want much of what they do.

Some of the frameworks are:

CodeBook (already mentioned, but not my favorite - very bloated, IMHO)

Visual FoxExpress (this one seems to be good - I know two people in our
local users group that use it and like it)

Visual ProMatrix (I used this on one project, but wasn't enthralled - but
maybe one use is not enough to form a valid opinion)

CodeMine (I have a project on which I use this and I find it to be pretty
easy to work with)

There are others, but their names are escaping me at the moment.  There have
been some reviews in FoxTalk/FoxPro Advisor.  You might look there for more
info.  Some of these companies offer good training.  Some sort of training
will be worth it because the frameworks are definitely a challenge to learn
(not to mean to deter you because they will do many good things for you).

Russell Campbell

Quote:
> So, there is a thing called "framework". You who are experienced please
tell
> me a little more about it: do you normaly use frameworks in building apps,
> or does each one of you normally reinventing your own wheel.
> I am ready to buy some frameworks if it makes sence. What is your (short)
> oppinion on this subject? Can you recommend a useful and cheap framework
> solution for me?

> Thank you

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:08:59 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
I had a client who used ProMatrix several years ago. He seemed happy with
it.

Dan

Quote:
> Thank you. I just dowloaded CodeBook.

>  Are you familiar with ProMatrix Standard framework? Any oppinion on that
> one?
> Thank you again.

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:25:16 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
Now that the Wiki is back up, you may want to look at
http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~FrameworkFeatureChart, and the links from it.

Rick

Quote:

> So, there is a thing called "framework". You who are experienced please tell
> me a little more about it: do you normaly use frameworks in building apps,
> or does each one of you normally reinventing your own wheel.
> I am ready to buy some frameworks if it makes sence. What is your (short)
> oppinion on this subject? Can you recommend a useful and cheap framework
> solution for me?

> Thank you

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:22:48 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
I've been using ProMatrix for over 3 years now. I never realised how much I
relied on it until I inherited a VFP app that was not built with a
framework. Compared to the apps I make with ProMatrix, this application was
incredibly crude.

You can expect a bit of a learning curve with any framework, and ProMatrix
is no different. There are several good frameworks available. Take your
time, look around, ask questions. Download the demos, and kick the tires a
bit. Come by the ProMatrix newsgroup and say hi - news.promatrix.com.

Quote:
> Thank you. I just dowloaded CodeBook.

>  Are you familiar with ProMatrix Standard framework? Any oppinion on that
> one?
> Thank you again.

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:08:39 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
Eric,

IMO, you should not recommend TasTrade as an example of frameworks as it is
no longer included in VFP8.

--
Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP

Quote:
> Hello, MD!
> You wrote  on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:37:54 +0100:

>  M> So, there is a thing called "framework". You who are experienced
please
>  M> tell me a little more about it: do you normaly use frameworks in
>  M> building apps, or does each one of you normally reinventing your own
>  M> wheel. I am ready to buy some frameworks if it makes sence. What is
your
>  M> (short) oppinion on this subject? Can you recommend a useful and cheap
>  M> framework solution for me?

>  M> Thank you

> There's a pretty well working framework in the TasTrade sample app. It's
> free and probably already on your computer.
> ---
> Eric den Doop
> www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:02:06 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
Hello, Craig!
You wrote  on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:02:06 -0700:

 CB> IMO, you should not recommend TasTrade as an example of frameworks as
 CB> it is no longer included in VFP8.

I think you're right about that but do you have any idea of why it is no
longer "part" of VFP?
---
Eric den Doop

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:12:57 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
Hi, Eric!
You wrote to Craig Berntson on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:12:57 +0100:

 EdD> I think you're right about that but do you have any idea of why it is
 EdD> no longer "part" of VFP?

Because manu people use it as a framework!!! But it was not supposed to be a
framework, it is just a sample :) As for me, I'd say that it is (was) pretty
limited, so I can't recommend it for app development, only for learning...
VFP have another "included" framework - AppWizard/FFC - I'd say it is also
not the best solution :(

WBR, Igor

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 03:54:19 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
Hello, Igor!
You wrote to Eric den Doop on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:54:19 +0200:

 EdD>> I think you're right about that but do you have any idea of why it is
 EdD>> no longer "part" of VFP?

 IK> Because manu people use it as a framework!!! But it was not supposed to
 IK> be a framework, it is just a sample :) As for me, I'd say that it is
 IK> (was) pretty limited, so I can't recommend it for app development, only
 IK> for learning... VFP have another "included" framework - AppWizard/FFC -
 IK> I'd say it is also not the best solution :(

 IK> WBR, Igor

It was indeed limited, but very easy to modify. I've been using the tastrade
classes in more than a dozen apps for the past years with success. I've
modified and improved lots of the tastrade classes though.
 I agree with you about the FFC; it has some nice classes that you can learn
from, but I have never used any FFC for real use in my apps.
---
Eric den Doop

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:07:45 GMT
 AHA! Frameworks!
I agree . . . mine is based on TasTrade, but changed and with added features
. . .

Quote:
> Hello, Igor!
> You wrote to Eric den Doop on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:54:19 +0200:

>  EdD>> I think you're right about that but do you have any idea of why it
is
>  EdD>> no longer "part" of VFP?

>  IK> Because manu people use it as a framework!!! But it was not supposed
>  IK> be a framework, it is just a sample :) As for me, I'd say that it is
>  IK> (was) pretty limited, so I can't recommend it for app development,
only
>  IK> for learning... VFP have another "included" framework -
AppWizard/FFC -
>  IK> I'd say it is also not the best solution :(

>  IK> WBR, Igor

> It was indeed limited, but very easy to modify. I've been using the
tastrade
> classes in more than a dozen apps for the past years with success. I've
> modified and improved lots of the tastrade classes though.
>  I agree with you about the FFC; it has some nice classes that you can
learn
> from, but I have never used any FFC for real use in my apps.
> ---
> Eric den Doop
> www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:48:21 GMT

1. Framework, Framework, On The Wall, Who Art Thou?

2. aha..

3. The "AHA" experience of class-responsibility

4. Framework resources

5. The best FoxPro framework/foundation?

6. Print-To-File within Application Framework

7. REPORT PRINTING PROBELM IN VFP FRAMEWORKS

8. Framework FoxPro 7.0 better then FoxPro 6?

9. MS VFox 7 framework not saving correctly

10. Looking for freeware Vfox 7 framework

11. Who has the best Framework

12. Frameworks - advice please