VFP and Intranet
Author Message
 VFP and Intranet

Can a foxpro application (EXE, APP, OLE, ?) be loaded on an application
server out on the network somewhere and run from inside the browser (IE5 is
our standard)?

What would it take?

It would be perfect if they have a bookmark setup to run the application and
nothing has to be installed on their desktop.

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:06:20 GMT
 VFP and Intranet
In theory, yes it can work, according to the Hackers Guide, However,   for a
detailed discussion, on how, to set up active forms (which are used in this
type of application,   Take a look at West-wind  http://www.west-wind.com/

Rick  has written a book about putting vfp on the web, and if anyone knows
the real- answer, I am sure he would.

The basics as I understand them, are as follows,

Create your forms based on the active forms base class.

Then load your forms on an iis web server,

Then install the vfp runtime on your clients machine,  when you client would
hit the server, the active forms, would work like they were on a desktop.

I am sure I forgot a few steps here,  But thats the basics....

Hope this gets you started,.

Bob

Quote:

> Can a foxpro application (EXE, APP, OLE, ?) be loaded on an application
> server out on the network somewhere and run from inside the browser (IE5
is
> our standard)?

> What would it take?

> It would be perfect if they have a bookmark setup to run the application
and
> nothing has to be installed on their desktop.

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:34:50 GMT
 VFP and Intranet
If you don't want to load anything on the client then ActiveDoc is not what
you want. You would need to write a Web application that served up HTML to
the browsers. However, if you are looking for something "quick and dirty"
you might want to check out Citrix Server or Terminal Server. Citrix loads a
java applet (or ActiveX control, I forget which) automatically onto the
client the first time the application directory is hit with the browser and
then serves the client. We had this running for only about 30 concurrent
users though. And you better take a look at VFP SP4 which resolves the VFP
screen refreshing issue.

Have Fun!
-B

Quote:

> Can a foxpro application (EXE, APP, OLE, ?) be loaded on an application
> server out on the network somewhere and run from inside the browser (IE5
is
> our standard)?

> What would it take?

> It would be perfect if they have a bookmark setup to run the application
and
> nothing has to be installed on their desktop.

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:46:14 GMT
 VFP and Intranet

You might want to ask on microsoft.public.fox.vfp.web as Rick is often
there.
Allen

Quote:

> Rick  has written a book about putting vfp on the web, and if anyone knows
> the real- answer, I am sure he would.

Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:13:58 GMT
 VFP and Intranet
This weekend, while surfing,  I came across something which might be of
interest here.

 http://www.tarantella.com/

from my nt workstation at home, I could run linux, and windows applications,
without installing anthing...

For a demo of tarantella try this.... You might be a blown away as I was.

Bob

www.runaware.com

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 03:53:56 GMT
 VFP and Intranet

Advert
Allen

Quote:
> This weekend, while surfing,  I came across something which might be of
> interest here.

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 04:07:16 GMT
 VFP and Intranet
Maybe so but it is still a relevant answer to the original post and
Tarentella works well for remote computing and is a definite alternative to
Citrix.

Al

Quote:

> Advert
> Allen

> > This weekend, while surfing,  I came across something which might be of
> > interest here.

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 07:33:01 GMT
 VFP and Intranet
Sorry Bob, The way it was layed out looked like a spam with the other
address at the bottom being one and the same.
I did go to the site. Are you saying you host other peoples programs so only
select users can get them. Or is it available as a program for others to
buy?
Allen

Quote:
> Maybe so but it is still a relevant answer to the original post and
> Tarentella works well for remote computing and is a definite alternative
> Citrix.

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 07:18:18 GMT
 VFP and Intranet
Not spam....

you can buy tarantella,  load it on a server,  and run applications on it
that people hit from a web site.  (like vfp applications) running inside a
browser...

I went to the runaware site, and loaded up, and ran applix office, and
dreamweaver,  without installing anthing.  Just ran them. (one linux app and
one windows app) all running on my nt.!

sure it sort of looked like running pc anywhere,  but really, one server can
host multiple applications running at the same time.   (like citrix)  but
its platform independent.

The other solutions out there which I have looked into are cgi web scripts
like west-wind, for afp  x-works or tthe like, all require rewriting your
forms to fit in a browser.;

This solution runs your vfp forms inside a browser window.!!   Truly web
enable a VFP desktop app.   The way it should be.

the only other way I can see making a vfp truly internet savoy, would is to
make vfp teir 1 of a multi teir app. and sql server 7 or my sql or oracle as
a backend datasource over the net....(this is what my pet project is now)

But for a quick easy solution, ... I thought I would post it....

Bob   Lee

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:51:44 GMT
 VFP and Intranet
Hi Allen
I don't know about the url that Bob posted but the tarentella product is
from SCO and is similar to Citrix Winframe.   They are agressively marketing
it and I have tested it using FPW , Word Excell etc and am currently testing
Autocad LT over it for a client.
Try   http://www.tarantella.com/

Regards
Al

Quote:
> Sorry Bob, The way it was layed out looked like a spam with the other
> address at the bottom being one and the same.
> I did go to the site. Are you saying you host other peoples programs so
only
> select users can get them. Or is it available as a program for others to
> buy?
> Allen

> > Maybe so but it is still a relevant answer to the original post and
> > Tarentella works well for remote computing and is a definite alternative
> > Citrix.

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:22:01 GMT
 VFP and Intranet

Thanks for the explaination Bob. I did go there and I could not find a
reference to purchase but I will revisit. It could be interesting.
Thanks
Allen

Quote:
> Not spam....

> you can buy tarantella,  load it on a server,  and run applications on it
> that people hit from a web site.  (like vfp applications) running inside a
> browser...

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:28:23 GMT
 VFP and Intranet

Anyone know the prices of this ?
Allen

Quote:
> Try   http://www.tarantella.com/

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:33:25 GMT
 VFP and Intranet
looking at their web site, it looks like its on a per user fee..
I think 395.00  per user, plus  Training, and server.

But that quote was based on 150 users.      From their web site.... I did a
search on the word cost...

you might want to call them... (they are SCO)   this is the new name.  for
SCO   Looks like SCO - is merging with Debian linux, and Tarantella is
taking over the majority of  sco's business

Bob

Quote:

> Anyone know the prices of this ?
> Allen

> > Try   http://www.tarantella.com/

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 07:28:06 GMT

1. A FoxPro Robot Tool for Building Intranet/Internet Sites

2. intranet safety question for VFP6.0

3. Building a Static Intranet Site w/Fox

4. foxpro and intranets

5. New internet/intranet database solution

6. intranet message

7. A FoxPro Robot Tool for Building Intranet/Internet Sites

8. Foxpro - Intranet Content Publishing

9. VFP to VFP communication. Help please

10. Convert VFP 3.0 to VFP 5.0 Problem

11. Converting VFP 2.6 with VFP 6.0

12. VFP 6 Class browser bombs when opening a VFP 5 class library