Displaying formatted text on screen (html?)
Author Message
 Displaying formatted text on screen (html?)

I have an application that needs to print paragraph formatted text to
the screen in a nice readable format.  The print preview option just
won't cut it, with the floating toolbar problem and the poor resolution
of text output.

So, I'm considering using the html browser control instead.  I'd print
the report to a temp file as html, then direct the file to the browser
control.  This way I can format the text to be as fancy as needed.

Questions:

1) Does this sound like the best solution for fancy reporting on screen,
or are there other ways?

2) Does the control require Internet Explorer to be installed?  Will it
work with Win95?

3) To speed up access, is there a way to output my html file to memory
instead of to a temp file on disk?

4) Would it be faster to print via the REPORT command, or use one of the
other options for generating html output?  (The HTML formatting will be
fairly simple)

A lot of questions, I know, but any feedback would be greatly
appreciated.  The user is not allowed to print this data, so good
looking text on screen is imperative.

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 05:01:01 GMT
 Displaying formatted text on screen (html?)
Kent:

It sounds like too much effort.  I'd go with the report generator.  However,
while it won't look as good, have you considered using the MESSAGEBOX()
command?

If you really want to use HTML, look at DBFTOHTML on UT.  You may need to
modify it to your needs it will get you going to where you want to be.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is a way to suppress the toolbar.  Somebody else
will know.

Boyd

Quote:
> I have an application that needs to print paragraph formatted text to
> the screen in a nice readable format.  The print preview option just
> won't cut it, with the floating toolbar problem and the poor resolution
> of text output.

> So, I'm considering using the html browser control instead.  I'd print
> the report to a temp file as html, then direct the file to the browser
> control.  This way I can format the text to be as fancy as needed.

> Questions:

> 1) Does this sound like the best solution for fancy reporting on screen,
> or are there other ways?

> 2) Does the control require Internet Explorer to be installed?  Will it
> work with Win95?

> 3) To speed up access, is there a way to output my html file to memory
> instead of to a temp file on disk?

> 4) Would it be faster to print via the REPORT command, or use one of the
> other options for generating html output?  (The HTML formatting will be
> fairly simple)

> A lot of questions, I know, but any feedback would be greatly
> appreciated.  The user is not allowed to print this data, so good
> looking text on screen is imperative.

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:56:50 GMT
 Displaying formatted text on screen (html?)
How would I use the messagebox() command?  My data contains several
pages of paragraph formatted data that would have to be displayed in
some type of scrollable field.  While the report preview does seem the
logical option, the screen resolution is pretty crummy.

If there's some trick to using Messagebox(), I'm all ears.

I'll check out the DBFTOHTML class. That sounds like a winner.  Thanks!

Quote:

> Kent:

> It sounds like too much effort.  I'd go with the report generator.  However,
> while it won't look as good, have you considered using the MESSAGEBOX()
> command?

> If you really want to use HTML, look at DBFTOHTML on UT.  You may need to
> modify it to your needs it will get you going to where you want to be.

> Also, I'm pretty sure there is a way to suppress the toolbar.  Somebody else
> will know.

> Boyd

Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:50:02 GMT
 Displaying formatted text on screen (html?)
Hi Kent!

Quote:
> A lot of questions, I know, but any feedback would be greatly
> appreciated.  The user is not allowed to print this data, so good
> looking text on screen is imperative.

If you show HTML in a webbrowser users will be able to print
with CTRL-P. But with a screenshot a user can always print anything
displayed, so there won't be any way to really prevent from printing...

Why not use a normal report? Users can Zoom in to the preview. I
don't understand what you mean with poor resolution...

Bye, Olaf.

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 00:59:36 GMT
 Displaying formatted text on screen (html?)
Compare the look of text on screen printed by the report preview to the
same text in a PDF file.  Much different quality.  And a person in the
print preview can easily print it out. (for obvious reasons)

As for the HTML, I'm hoping to sidestep the printing issue by using the
imbedded browser control on a Fox form, instead of dumping it out to a
generic browser.  Whether I can prevent printing is still a question though.

And while any determined hacker can find numerous ways to print out
anything displayed on a computer monitor, I'm only striving to prevent
easy copying of the informaton to hard copy.  It's the old "protection
by frustration" method.

Another, better alternative would be to use a multiline grid control
that would correctly format word breaks, if such a thing exists for Fox.
  :-)  Any ideas???

I have considered simulating this effect by formatting the text into
individual, line by line records in a temporary cursor, then displaying
the cursor in a conventional grid with the horizontal and vertical lines
turned off, but then I run into the problem of the control being
resized, if the user's screen resolution is 800x600 vs. 1024x768.  Then
I'd have to reformat the line lengths.  Not impossible I'm sure, but
probably a pain to program.

Quote:

> Hi Kent!

>>A lot of questions, I know, but any feedback would be greatly
>>appreciated.  The user is not allowed to print this data, so good
>>looking text on screen is imperative.

> If you show HTML in a webbrowser users will be able to print
> with CTRL-P. But with a screenshot a user can always print anything
> displayed, so there won't be any way to really prevent from printing...

> Why not use a normal report? Users can Zoom in to the preview. I
> don't understand what you mean with poor resolution...

> Bye, Olaf.

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:48:33 GMT
 Displaying formatted text on screen (html?)
Kent:

I read in your post that you only want to print a paragraph, not paragraphs.
Anyhow, I'm unsure of how much data MESSAGEOX can handle, but here is a
quick sample:

cMessageTitle = 'The Title'
cMessageText = datafile.memofield        && this would be from a memo field
nDialogType = 0 + 64      && an OK button and an information icon
nAnswer = MESSAGEBOX(cMessageText, nDialogType, cMessageTitle)

Give it a shot.  I don't think can really do any formatting of the data, so
it might not be what you're looking for,

Boyd

Quote:
> How would I use the messagebox() command?  My data contains several
> pages of paragraph formatted data that would have to be displayed in
> some type of scrollable field.  While the report preview does seem the
> logical option, the screen resolution is pretty crummy.

> If there's some trick to using Messagebox(), I'm all ears.

> I'll check out the DBFTOHTML class. That sounds like a winner.  Thanks!

> > Kent:

> > It sounds like too much effort.  I'd go with the report generator.
However,
> > while it won't look as good, have you considered using the MESSAGEBOX()
> > command?

> > If you really want to use HTML, look at DBFTOHTML on UT.  You may need
> > modify it to your needs it will get you going to where you want to be.

> > Also, I'm pretty sure there is a way to suppress the toolbar.  Somebody
else
> > will know.

> > Boyd

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 06:00:43 GMT
 Displaying formatted text on screen (html?)
Hi,

How about using MS Rich TextBox ActiveX control?
You can format your text in (say) Word and save it as an RTF
file. Optionally, you could import it into a memo field
(using Append Memo).

If the RTB's Scrollbars property is set to 3 (both) and the
RTB's container control's Enabled property is set to .F.
then your users can read and scroll through the text but can't
select it.

Just my 2 cents.
--
Roger Ansell
Adelaide, Australia

My real email address is ransell  at senet.dot com dot au

Quote:

> I have an application that needs to print paragraph formatted text to
> the screen in a nice readable format.  The print preview option just
> won't cut it, with the floating toolbar problem and the poor resolution
> of text output.

> So, I'm considering using the html browser control instead.  I'd print
> the report to a temp file as html, then direct the file to the browser
> control.  This way I can format the text to be as fancy as needed.

> Questions:

> 1) Does this sound like the best solution for fancy reporting on screen,
> or are there other ways?

> 2) Does the control require Internet Explorer to be installed?  Will it
> work with Win95?

> 3) To speed up access, is there a way to output my html file to memory
> instead of to a temp file on disk?

> 4) Would it be faster to print via the REPORT command, or use one of the
> other options for generating html output?  (The HTML formatting will be
> fairly simple)

> A lot of questions, I know, but any feedback would be greatly
> appreciated.  The user is not allowed to print this data, so good
> looking text on screen is imperative.

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:38:07 GMT

1. display html text

2. Report to HTML Format

3. Reporting to Html Format

4. Can we generate formatted HTML from a report

5. Reporting to html Format

6. Print Report to HTML format

7. Reporting in VFP into HTML Format

8. Store formatted HTML to memo

9. Is there a tool to convert dbf file into html format

10. Reporting To HTML format

11. html formatting

12. How can I convert the RGB color to a html color #C0C0C0 format