ORACLE and VFP (Simple Problem Now / No Solution Yet)
Author Message
 ORACLE and VFP (Simple Problem Now / No Solution Yet)

I have narrowed down the problem, but have not figured it out yet.  Here it is:

I have an ODBC connection to an Oracle 8i test database called "Budget".

The test source code resides:  M:\DEVAPPS\TEST\BUDGET
The production source code resides:  M:\DEVAPPS\PROD\BUDGET

Here is the code:

CD M:\DEVAPPS\PROD\BUDGET
? SQLCONNECT( "BUDGET", "USERCODE", "PASSWORD" )   &&  This returns a 1
? SQLDISCONNECT( 0 )

All I am doing is changing the directory:

CD M:\DEVAPPS\TEST\BUDGET
? SQLCONNECT( "BUDGET", "USERCODE", "PASSWORD" )   &&  This returns a -1
? SQLDISCONNECT( 0 )

Summary:  I connect if I am in the PROD directory but I don't connect if I am in the TEST directory.  Furthermore, I can connect in any other directory except TEST.  Last, I have removed FOXUSER a number of times, SET RESOURCE ON / SET RESOURCE OFF and tried the same code above and it acts the same way regardless of FOXUSER.  What am I missing?  I have the entire application in this directory for testing purposes.  I never open it, I never open the database, I just do the lines above.  I don't have my default directory going to this directory. ANY IDEAS?  This is a simple problem yet so hard...

Alex

Sun, 02 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 ORACLE and VFP (Simple Problem Now / No Solution Yet)

Oracle has a TNSNAMES.ORA file it refers to when performing ODBC lookups.  The information changed when we upgraded from 7.34 to 8.16 (Oracle).  This file is usually found under C:\ORAWIN\NETWORK\ADMIN.  There was a older TNSNAMES.ORA that was located under the M:\DEVAPPS\TEST\BUDGET directory.  It turns out that the Oracle ODBC driver looks in the CURRENT directory first, then in the admin directory.  Hopefully, this 8 hours of living hell will help someone else having the same problem...

[...]

1. A simple solution found!

2. Simple labels problem...Simple answer??

3. VFP8: Cursor Adapter - yet another problem

4. Yet another grid problem

5. Yet another grid problem

6. Yet another problem!

7. VFP-Oracle Problem

8. Help: Upsizing from VFP 6 to Oracle light problem with C00000005

9. VFP/Oracle Problem

10. VFP to Oracle connection busy problem

11. problem updating an Oracle table using VFP remote views

12. Yet didn't I got Real Help 4 operate VFP 5.0