SQL & VFP or VB?
Author Message
 SQL & VFP or VB?

I'm member of project team that has to develope an application for complete
bank. We are currently deciding between VisualFoxPro 5.0. and Visual Basic
5.0. as developing tools, and we already choosed SQL database server 6.5. We
would apprecciate if anyone with expirience in this fields could help us
with our problem.
Any suggestion is welcome!
Thanks in advance.
You can send your oppinions to:

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

I have been use Fox since 1989, I think that it is a superior product to
Visual Basic. However, I think VB is a product that MS is pushing very hard.
I think we will see more advances in VB than in VFP. Microsoft recently
stated that VB 6 will now support inheritance, and that they borrowed the
coded to support inheritance from VFP, which has had it for about 4 years
now. My point is, If you are looking for a product that will be around for a
while, choose VB. If you want an excellent development environment choose
VFP. VFP has better data access techniques than VB, since it is a desktop
database.

WWW.REAMEY.COM
Don Reamey
The Reamey Technology Group

Quote:

>I'm member of project team that has to develope an application for complete
>bank. We are currently deciding between VisualFoxPro 5.0. and Visual Basic
>5.0. as developing tools, and we already choosed SQL database server 6.5.
We
>would apprecciate if anyone with expirience in this fields could help us
>with our problem.
>Any suggestion is welcome!
>Thanks in advance.
>You can send your oppinions to:

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

Don,
  I think your quote about more advances in VB than VFP is a little off
there, from what has been said of the future of VFP..
--
Tony Miller

thwart Unwanted Spam)

Send me no Spam, lest you wish your spirit to ROT IN HELL...

Quote:
> I have been use Fox since 1989, I think that it is a superior product to
> Visual Basic. However, I think VB is a product that MS is pushing very
hard.
> I think we will see more advances in VB than in VFP. Microsoft recently
> stated that VB 6 will now support inheritance, and that they borrowed the
> coded to support inheritance from VFP, which has had it for about 4 years
> now. My point is, If you are looking for a product that will be around
for a
> while, choose VB. If you want an excellent development environment choose
> VFP. VFP has better data access techniques than VB, since it is a desktop
> database.

> WWW.REAMEY.COM
> Don Reamey
> The Reamey Technology Group

> >I'm member of project team that has to develope an application for
complete
> >bank. We are currently deciding between VisualFoxPro 5.0. and Visual
Basic
> >5.0. as developing tools, and we already choosed SQL database server
6.5.
> We
> >would apprecciate if anyone with expirience in this fields could help us
> >with our problem.
> >Any suggestion is welcome!
> >Thanks in advance.
> >You can send your oppinions to:

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

Quote:

>I have been use Fox since 1989, I think that it is a superior product to
>Visual Basic. However, I think VB is a product that MS is pushing very hard.
>I think we will see more advances in VB than in VFP. Microsoft recently
>stated that VB 6 will now support inheritance, and that they borrowed the
>coded to support inheritance from VFP, which has had it for about 4 years
>now. My point is, If you are looking for a product that will be around for a
>while, choose VB. If you want an excellent development environment choose
>VFP. VFP has better data access techniques than VB, since it is a desktop
>database.

I have been working a VB programmer on a project written in VB5 (it
was started in VB4).  I ask him about different properties that I know
are in VFP5.  Many of these properties are not in VB5.  I have, on
several occasions, looked in VB5 and suggested some workarounds that
will simulate the property in VFP5.  The bottom line is that if VB5
(which came out after VFP5) is not more advanced than VFP5 now, when
will it be?

Just my $0.02 worth...

Christopher Reed

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

::  The bottom line is that if VB5
:(which came out after VFP5) is not more advanced than VFP5 now, when
:will it be?
:

My point exactly! As I stated, I think VFP is a superior product, however if
MS doesn't push VFP as mush as they push VB, VFP will suffer in the long
run. MS took the 'Rushmore Technology" from Fox and used it in other
products, they took VFP's inheritance and are going to use that in VB
probably even Access and VBA. Like I said, I think VB is going to get all
the good stuff from here on out, and VFP is going to have to play catch up.

WWW.REAMEY.COM
Don Reamey
The Reamey Technology Group

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

Unfortunately, I haven't heard much about the future of VFP. Everything I
have said, except the part about the inheritance coming from VFP, is my own
opinion. I would like to see VFP be put on the same high horse as VB,
because I think it deserve it, but if you were Microsoft and you had woven
VBA in just about every product, how hard would you push an xbase dialect?
If I were Microsoft I would just pacify the VFP crowd and slowly let it die
off or just put out substandard release every couple of years. When VFP came
out in 94 I thought, "wow this is it Fox is going to have a chance". Do you
remember the marketing gimmick they used "use the power of the toolbar". The
toolbar, that was the most important thing the marketing group could think
of for a great product.

WWW.REAMEY.COM
Don Reamey
The Reamey Technology Group

:Don,
:  I think your quote about more advances in VB than VFP is a little off
:there, from what has been said of the future of VFP..
:--
:Tony Miller

:thwart Unwanted Spam)
:
:Send me no Spam, lest you wish your spirit to ROT IN HELL...
:
:

:> I have been use Fox since 1989, I think that it is a superior product to
:> Visual Basic. However, I think VB is a product that MS is pushing very
:hard.
:> I think we will see more advances in VB than in VFP. Microsoft recently
:> stated that VB 6 will now support inheritance, and that they borrowed the
:> coded to support inheritance from VFP, which has had it for about 4 years
:> now. My point is, If you are looking for a product that will be around
:for a
:> while, choose VB. If you want an excellent development environment choose
:> VFP. VFP has better data access techniques than VB, since it is a desktop
:> database.
:>
:> WWW.REAMEY.COM
:> Don Reamey
:> The Reamey Technology Group
:>
:>
:> >I'm member of project team that has to develope an application for
:complete
:> >bank. We are currently deciding between VisualFoxPro 5.0. and Visual
:Basic
:> >5.0. as developing tools, and we already choosed SQL database server
:6.5.
:> We
:> >would apprecciate if anyone with expirience in this fields could help us
:> >with our problem.
:> >Any suggestion is welcome!
:> >Thanks in advance.
:> >You can send your oppinions to:

:> >
:> >
:> >
:>
:>
:>

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

Quote:

>I'm member of project team that has to develope an application for complete
>bank. We are currently deciding between VisualFoxPro 5.0. and Visual Basic
>5.0. as developing tools, and we already choosed SQL database server 6.5.
We
>would apprecciate if anyone with expirience in this fields could help us
>with our problem.
>Any suggestion is welcome!
>Thanks in advance.
>You can send your oppinions to:

I think the real problem today is not witch language is the best but can you
get programmers that know the language ?

I'm a VFP programmer myself and I know that VFP currently outperforms VB on
almost all fronts especially with databases (whether it's a VFP table or a
SQL server table). The only problem is that there are more VB programmers
around than VFP programmers. So if you need an extra hand to make an
application a VB hand is easier found than a VFP hand.

So don't forget: what kind of programmers can I get ? If that's no problem
then go for VFP.....

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

Quote:

>My point exactly! As I stated, I think VFP is a superior product, however if
>MS doesn't push VFP as mush as they push VB, VFP will suffer in the long
>run. MS took the 'Rushmore Technology" from Fox and used it in other
>products, they took VFP's inheritance and are going to use that in VB
>probably even Access and VBA. Like I said, I think VB is going to get all
>the good stuff from here on out, and VFP is going to have to play catch up.

First of all, I can't find any real info on VB6, so I don't know what
they intend to add to it.

As for the "borrowing" from Fox, understand that how something works
in Fox is not the same as to how it will work in VB.  Rushmore (which
is actually in the 32-bit Jet engine) does not work the same way
because locking is done a little differently.  In general, Rushmore is
better optimized for Fox.  As far as Fox's inheritance, I suspect that
it was probably based on VC++'s inheritance to begin with; however,
inheritance is only one piece.  Without classes, VB will not be OOP.

So, what about the "battle" between VB and VFP?  VFP is a niche
product.  I believe that a VFP programmer is one of the best because a
VFP programmer must understand programming as well as database
management.  Other the other hand, VB is a very general development
tool.  Many people can learn how to use it.  Hence, there are a lot of
VB developers out there.  This, however, does not make them
programmers.  A VB developer without any other background in
programming is not a programmer.

I make the above point for this reason:  Many more people will use VB
than VFP.  Therefore, more advertising money should be spent on VB.
It's business, plain and simple.  Do I want MS making VFP a product
for the masses?  No!!!!  I want it to be powerful.  VB, on the other
hand, must be usuable to one and all.

Additionally, I have seen some comments over the last couple of years
concerning the longevity of VB as a standalone product.  VBA may very
well be the future.

Just keep in mind that the strength of VB is that it is probably the
best small desktop development tool around.  This does not necessarily
translate its status in the client/server world.

'Nuff said! (I want my VFP!)

Christopher Reed

Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

VB already supports inheritance....but not of any visual objects...they
remain the same....and will for some time.

--
Craig Berntson
Microsoft Fox MVP

Quote:

>I have been use Fox since 1989, I think that it is a superior product to
>Visual Basic. However, I think VB is a product that MS is pushing very
hard.
>I think we will see more advances in VB than in VFP. Microsoft recently
>stated that VB 6 will now support inheritance, and that they borrowed the
>coded to support inheritance from VFP, which has had it for about 4 years
>now. My point is, If you are looking for a product that will be around for
>while, choose VB. If you want an excellent development environment choose
>VFP. VFP has better data access techniques than VB, since it is a desktop
>database.

>WWW.REAMEY.COM
>Don Reamey
>The Reamey Technology Group

>>I'm member of project team that has to develope an application for
complete
>>bank. We are currently deciding between VisualFoxPro 5.0. and Visual Basic
>>5.0. as developing tools, and we already choosed SQL database server 6.5.
>We
>>would apprecciate if anyone with expirience in this fields could help us
>>with our problem.
>>Any suggestion is welcome!
>>Thanks in advance.
>>You can send your oppinions to:

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

Something that many people fail to think about it is manipulation of the
result data set from SQL Server. VFP really outshines VB here. VFP also has
full OOP, improving original development and maintenance. What many in this
thread have said about VB getting more resources from Micorosoft is
true....it has more users...but that doesn't mean that VFP won't continue to
improve.

--
Craig Berntson
Microsoft Fox MVP
Salt Lake City Fox User Group

Quote:

>I'm member of project team that has to develope an application for complete
>bank. We are currently deciding between VisualFoxPro 5.0. and Visual Basic
>5.0. as developing tools, and we already choosed SQL database server 6.5.
We
>would apprecciate if anyone with expirience in this fields could help us
>with our problem.
>Any suggestion is welcome!
>Thanks in advance.
>You can send your oppinions to:

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

Hi,

I would only like to add that VB is for peoples under 15 years of age :)

Shahbaz Ahmer

Tue, 05 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL & VFP or VB?

I would disagree with that last comment.. There was a rther involved thread
recently on the universalthread foxpro website.. You should go there and
read it.. very interesting...

--
Tony Miller

thwart Unwanted Spam)

Send me no Spam, lest you wish your spirit to ROT IN HELL...

Quote:
> Hi,

> I would only like to add that VB is for peoples under 15 years of age :)

> Shahbaz Ahmer

Tue, 05 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. SQL & VFP or VB

2. SQL & VFP or VB

3. VB & VFP - SQL Too Long

4. VFP & VB BUGS

5. compare vfp & vb

6. VB & VFP

7. Tell me the difference VFP & VB

8. VFP vs VB and SQL Server experience ?

9. SQL Server with VFP or VB?

10. VB or VFP to SQL Server

11. VB & Foxpro

12. vb sample for combobox & listbox