Remote views and managing connections
Author Message
 Remote views and managing connections

Hi everyone,

We're embarking on our first application of remote views and I was wondering
how connections are being dealt with behind the scenes.

For example, I know that ADO and SQLExec() connections are instantiated
programmatically and we have control over when they're opened and closed,
but how do remote views work with their connections?

Do they open their connection when the remote view is USE'd and close it
after the data has been retrieved, or do they keep the connection open at
all times? I know that connections can be shared between remote views, but I
have no idea how the connection is managed.

Thanks.
--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro

    - Albert Einstein

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 00:50:00 GMT
 Remote views and managing connections
William -
one thing u can look at in the view designer -
from the top menu -
click on view | advanced -
and there is an option to share the current connection defined in the dbc .
Clicking it 'shares' the connection -
not clicking it will fire up another connection handle...
hth - mondo regards [Bill]

Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> We're embarking on our first application of remote views and I was
wondering
> how connections are being dealt with behind the scenes.

> For example, I know that ADO and SQLExec() connections are instantiated
> programmatically and we have control over when they're opened and closed,
> but how do remote views work with their connections?

> Do they open their connection when the remote view is USE'd and close it
> after the data has been retrieved, or do they keep the connection open at
> all times? I know that connections can be shared between remote views, but
> have no idea how the connection is managed.

> Thanks.
> --
> William Fields
> MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro
> MCP - Win2k Pro
> US Bankruptcy Court
> Phoenix, AZ

> "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

>     - Albert Einstein

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 01:48:08 GMT
 Remote views and managing connections
I did find some useful information at:

http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~MoreOnRemoteViews~VFP

--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro
MCP - Win2k Pro
US Bankruptcy Court
Phoenix, AZ

    - Albert Einstein

Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> We're embarking on our first application of remote views and I was
wondering
> how connections are being dealt with behind the scenes.

> For example, I know that ADO and SQLExec() connections are instantiated
> programmatically and we have control over when they're opened and closed,
> but how do remote views work with their connections?

> Do they open their connection when the remote view is USE'd and close it
> after the data has been retrieved, or do they keep the connection open at
> all times? I know that connections can be shared between remote views, but
> have no idea how the connection is managed.

> Thanks.
> --
> William Fields
> MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro
> MCP - Win2k Pro
> US Bankruptcy Court
> Phoenix, AZ

> "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

>     - Albert Einstein

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 07:01:53 GMT
 Remote views and managing connections
Hi Bill,

How are you? You are correct that when programmally connecting to remote
data, you control the opening and closing of the connection handle to the
remote data in the code. The same apples to VFP remote views that are
opened with the USE command. The connection handle gets opened behind the
scenes, and as long as the remote view is open, the connection is open
also. Once you close the remote view, then the connection is closed, unless
there is another remote view open on a shared connection with the remote
view that you just closed.
In the Visual FoxPro help file under "Connections, Remote Data", you may
find that this helps explain remote connections a little better.

I hope this helps in explaining remote views and connections in Visual
FoxPro.

Grant Suddreth
Microsoft FoxPro Developer Support

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
  - VFP5 Mainstream Support retires June 30th, 2003
  - VFP6 Mainstream Support retires Sep. 30th, 2003

Wed, 05 Oct 2005 02:46:30 GMT

1. Connection / Remote View

2. SQL Connection with remote views

3. Single remote view using multiple connection

4. Single remote view with multiple connection

5. VFP8 remote views connection handle problem

6. Remote View Connection Designer Loses Settings

7. how to change connection name in remote view

8. Remote view with ODBC connection

9. Remote View Problem -> Connection Busy

10. Remote Views Sharing One Connection

11. Opening Remote Views when No Net Connection Exists

12. Remote Views sharing Connection