visual foxpro books
Author Message
 visual foxpro books

What books will be coming out on visual foxpro. I just got it and
really need a good tutorial book because the documentation is pretty
bad.

Wed, 07 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 visual foxpro books

Quote:

>What books will be coming out on visual foxpro. I just got it and
>really need a good tutorial book because the documentation is pretty
>bad.

I'm in the process of Tech editing Nelson King's book on VFP due for
publication in late August/ early September. He's an interesting
scribbler with a sense of humor.

The examples are from a real world project originally developed in FPD.

A good read.

Thu, 08 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 visual foxpro books

Quote:

>What books will be coming out on visual foxpro. I just got it and
>really need a good tutorial book because the documentation is pretty
>bad.

I don't think the documentation is that bad, certainly not compared to the
2.5/2.6 manuals.

In any case, there are two VFP books on retail shelves now. One is from MIS
Press and should be ignored because it's targeted for end-users, not
developers. I don't see VFP as an end-user tool at all.

The other, "Visual FoxPro 3 Developer's Guide" by Jeb Long, is from SAMS
Publishing. ISBN 0-672-30653-0 lists for $49.99 in the U.S., $67.99 in Canada.
It's 1446 pages and comes with a CD-ROM. If you're looking for a beginning to
intermediate level tutorial that can serve somewhat as a reference, too, this
is it.

Microsoft Press should be hitting soon with "Microsoft Visual FoxPro for
Windows Step by Step, Version 3.0" ISBN 1-55615-846-7. This will also be a
tutorial, but it won't take you very far.

Sybex has a couple of titles planned, including the eagerly anticipated
"Visual FoxPro 3 Codebook" by Y. Alan Griver, ISBN 0-7821-1648-5, which should
be getting to stores in about 6 weeks. Expect this to be a slightly more
advanced tutorial, getting more into technique.

Wordware, publisher of the "... at a Glance" and "Learn ... in a Day" series,
is scheduled to publish 3 VFP titles early in 1996.

Pete Olympia mentioned to me at DevCon that he had a book in the works. Pete
has authored a number of dBASE and FoxPro titles in the past. I don't recall
the publisher, but this one may not hit shelves for a while.

A whole host of publishers have also announced intentions to publish VFP
books, including Ziff-Davis Press, IDG Books, MacMillan (under the SAMS, QUE,
and New Riders imprints), Ventana, Prima, and Random House. You can be assured
that they are all racing to market but it's hard to tell just when they'll
each make it.

Another option you should consider is "Mastering Visual FoxPro 3.0" from
Microsoft, interactive multimedia training on CD-ROM. The second release
candidate went out this past week, and it is due to release to manufacturing
within days for availability within 4 weeks. It is among the best titles I've
seen authored with Asymmetrix MultiMedia Toolbook 3.0. It's going to be a
little weak in certain areas (e.g. the DBC is not well covered), but it should
be overall very good for experienced FPW developers to make the transition to
OOP and VFP.

Thu, 08 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Foxpro Books

2. Visual Foxpro Book

3. REQ: Visual FoxPro books.

4. What's a good book for beginners in Visual FoxPro 7-8

5. Books On Visual FoxPRo 5

6. Book - Building Visual FoxPro 5 Applications

7. Books for Visual FoxPro

8. BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

9. Reccomendation for good Visual Foxpro 5 books

10. Visual FoxPro 5.0 Books?

11. BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

12. Visual FoxPro Mac Book Recommendation