Bring in Fixed Length ASCII file?
Author Message
 Bring in Fixed Length ASCII file?

I have a large text file with no delimiters that is fixed length ASCII.
I want to pull the data into a FoxPro 2.6 for Windows table.  I modified
the table structure so the fields and character lengths are all set
and ready.  I tried

  APPEND FROM THEFILE.TXT TYPE DELI WITH BLANK

but that didn't work.o

Mon, 04 Nov 1996 07:34:20 GMT
 Bring in Fixed Length ASCII file?
:   I tried
:   APPEND FROM THEFILE.TXT TYPE DELI WITH BLANK

Now try APPEND FROM THEFILE.TXT SDF
--

Mon, 04 Nov 1996 10:42:11 GMT
 Bring in Fixed Length ASCII file?
: I have a large text file with no delimiters that is fixed length ASCII.
: I want to pull the data into a FoxPro 2.6 for Windows table.  I modified
: the table structure so the fields and character lengths are all set
: and ready.  I tried

:   APPEND FROM THEFILE.TXT TYPE DELI WITH BLANK

: but that didn't work.o

If the fields are not separated on both sides (ie delimited) with
blanks, or contain blanks within them, this won't work.  You probably
can use the TYPE SDF if they are fixed length ASCII (this means that
each field is the same length in every record).  Just make sure the
DBF fields are the same size as the ones in the text file (including
spaces, 0's, and everything else), then

APPEND FROM THEFILE.TXT TYPE SDF

Hope this helps.  If you need more help, maybe you could post a few
lines from the text file and your table structure to give us a better
idea what's going on.  Some of your code would be helpful, along with
a detailed explanation of how its not working.

Pete Kruckenberg

Mon, 04 Nov 1996 13:13:10 GMT
 Bring in Fixed Length ASCII file?
: I have a large text file with no delimiters that is fixed length ASCII.
: I want to pull the data into a FoxPro 2.6 for Windows table.  I modified
: the table structure so the fields and character lengths are all set
: and ready.  I tried

:   APPEND FROM THEFILE.TXT TYPE DELI WITH BLANK

: but that didn't work.o

Hello Andris Vitols,

      Please try the following steps.

      1.) Create a fixed length database.

      2.) Use command "APPEND FROM THEFILE.TXT SDF" and press Enter key.

      3.) Use command "BROWSE" check your database file.

                      I think the above action may help you.

                                                       Bye Bye !
                                                          Sam Chung.

Sun, 10 Nov 1996 00:41:38 GMT

1. How do I save a table as a fixed length ASCII file

2. ASCII fixed field length format?

3. Long record length in ASCII text files

4. how to import fixed length record from text files

5. Importing excell spreadsheet - exporting ASCII fixed width file

6. Fix report length and vertical lines.

7. Detail area needs to be a fixed length

8. Fixed report length and vertical line.

9. Fixed Length String

10. RANDOM GENERATION OF FIXED LENGTH CHARACTERS

11. exporting table in fixed length text format

12. STRTRAN() to fix ASCII: Error 1903: String is too long to fit