Report shows fine on preview, not on printer
Author Message
 Report shows fine on preview, not on printer

Help!!

I have a report that I'm generating to show cable pair
connections. When I check the cursor that I'm showing the
data in everything looks fine. When I preview the report
everything looks fine. When I send the report to the
printer I get the first record repeated for every
connection point in the cursor. I'm at a total loss as to
why this is happening. I have a similar report that
prints fine. I've tried rebuilding the report from
scratch and get the same results. I've also tried to send
the report to another printer with the same results. The
original reports were written in VFP 7 and I'm now using
VFP 8.0. Can someone please point me in the direction of
where this problem is.

Thanks to all,

John

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:24:41 GMT
 Report shows fine on preview, not on printer
John,
This typically happens when your table (cursor) isn't currently selected when you issue the REPORT command. Instead you'll find that the number of lines is EXACTLY equal to the number of records in whatever is the current workarea!

Make sure you explicitly SELECT the cursor before REPORT and make sure no one has introduced a data environment into the report (.FRX).

Rick

Quote:
> Help!!

> I have a report that I'm generating to show cable pair
> connections. When I check the cursor that I'm showing the
> data in everything looks fine. When I preview the report
> everything looks fine. When I send the report to the
> printer I get the first record repeated for every
> connection point in the cursor. I'm at a total loss as to
> why this is happening. I have a similar report that
> prints fine. I've tried rebuilding the report from
> scratch and get the same results. I've also tried to send
> the report to another printer with the same results. The
> original reports were written in VFP 7 and I'm now using
> VFP 8.0. Can someone please point me in the direction of
> where this problem is.

> Thanks to all,

> John

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:11:12 GMT
 Report shows fine on preview, not on printer
Hi John:

I have heard of this problem before.  The first thing I would check is to
make sure ensure that the alias names of any report fields are correct.
Better yet, you might want to remove any alias names from the report fields
if you can.

I saw another case where a customer had a report with the same table used
twice; the second time as an alias. When he previewed the report, the data
is fine; however, when he printed from the Preview toolbar, the incorrect
data prints.  All his other reports printed fine, but none had the same
table used twice in the DE.

The problem seemed to be that pressing the preview button moved the record
pointer. Invoking the Print button in the Preview toolbar does not reset
the record pointer and the incorrect data prints. I suggested that the
customer add a UDF in the Title band of the report that reset the record
pointer in the selected tables to top of file.

I had another case where a report printed incorrect data.  The report
printed the same record from the table multiple times. We found that the
program called the report from a form.  When an image in the form had
focus, the report printed incorrectly.  (The programmer was calling the
report from the Click event of the image control.) To fix the problem, he
changed the image controls to command buttons and called the REPORT command
from the click event of the command button.

Does either of these two scenarios should like something you are doing?

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
   - VFP5 Mainstream Support retires June 30th, 2003
   - VFP6 Mainstream Support retires Sept. 30th, 2003

Quote:
>Help!!
>I have a report that I'm generating to show cable pair
>connections. When I check the cursor that I'm showing the
>data in everything looks fine. When I preview the report
>everything looks fine. When I send the report to the
>printer I get the first record repeated for every
>connection point in the cursor. I'm at a total loss as to
>why this is happening. I have a similar report that
>prints fine. I've tried rebuilding the report from
>scratch and get the same results. I've also tried to send
>the report to another printer with the same results. The
>original reports were written in VFP 7 and I'm now using
>VFP 8.0. Can someone please point me in the direction of
>where this problem is.
>Thanks to all,
>John

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:15:39 GMT
 Report shows fine on preview, not on printer
In addition to other posts, this behaviour occurs when focus stays in grid while previewing report. Most simple workaround is

Thisform.AnyControlThatIsNotGrid.Setfocus

before Report command

Leonid

Quote:
> Help!!

> I have a report that I'm generating to show cable pair
> connections. When I check the cursor that I'm showing the
> data in everything looks fine. When I preview the report
> everything looks fine. When I send the report to the
> printer I get the first record repeated for every
> connection point in the cursor. I'm at a total loss as to
> why this is happening. I have a similar report that
> prints fine. I've tried rebuilding the report from
> scratch and get the same results. I've also tried to send
> the report to another printer with the same results. The
> original reports were written in VFP 7 and I'm now using
> VFP 8.0. Can someone please point me in the direction of
> where this problem is.

> Thanks to all,

> John

Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:35:42 GMT
 Report shows fine on preview, not on printer
That worked like a dream. I also had to reset the focus
before I ran my query that pulled the data for the report
instead of just before the REPORT command, but it works
great now!!

Thanks to all!!

Quote:

Quote:
>> Help!!

>> I have a report that I'm generating to show cable pair
>> connections. When I check the cursor that I'm showing
the
>> data in everything looks fine. When I preview the
report
>> everything looks fine. When I send the report to the
>> printer I get the first record repeated for every
>> connection point in the cursor. I'm at a total loss as
>> why this is happening. I have a similar report that
>> prints fine. I've tried rebuilding the report from
>> scratch and get the same results. I've also tried to
send
>> the report to another printer with the same results.
The
>> original reports were written in VFP 7 and I'm now
using
>> VFP 8.0. Can someone please point me in the direction
of
>> where this problem is.

>> Thanks to all,

>> John

>.

Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:21:20 GMT

1. Graphics not printing but show in the preview on certain printers namely HP 4si

2. Help: report previews fine but loses info when printed

3. Preview won't display in runtime, is fine in development environment

4. Fine Printer Control

5. Report Form to Printer Prompt Preview->Resources System descend

6. Select Printer for Report Preview

7. How to tell if user sent report to printer while in PREVIEW mode

8. Printer Setup and Report Preview

9. Printer icon in report preview

10. Help, Lost the printer button in report preview

11. No printer selection availeble in report preview

12. Modify Report not showing view menu