Long, long character string
Author Message
 Long, long character string

I just started with a new client and have encountered what appears to be
an easy problem that turns out to be not so simple, at least to my
sleep-deprived consciousness.

I'm using FP 2.6 but have VFP 5.0.  I need to copy information from a
table with 50 fields, two of which are memo fields to a tab delimited
text file.  The client is going to use the output to load into a web
application and they want the text fields which are paragraphs of text
to be represented as just one field.  I'm looking for a way to defeat
the 254 character string limit or field size limit and/or the output of
memo field data into a string that could be 800 characters or more.

Thanks,

Walter Coffey

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Long, long character string

In on-line help COPY TO it states " If the file you are creating is not a
database, memo fields aren't copied to the new file even if memo field names
are included in the field list."

Well, that makes sense.  Lets say your memo contains quoites double &
single, commas, tabs, and whatever else is lying around in the memo.
Delimiting with the tabs in your case would produce invalid results.  You
may be able to do something with low-level commands to handle your
situation.  However, CRLFs are oftentimes the delimeter for a row so you'd
have to get rid of some of your formatting.

How out the LIST COMMAND.  I can enter "LIST FIELD charfield, numfield,
memofield" with impunity.  The memofield will be displayed in all of it's
glory so spacing between records my be one to 100s of lines.  It'd have the
same effect as creating a report that lists a field or 2 with a memo field
than can stretch.

With some low level commands you could read and generate the HTML code
yourself.

Pat

Quote:

> I just started with a new client and have encountered what appears to be
> an easy problem that turns out to be not so simple, at least to my
> sleep-deprived consciousness.

> I'm using FP 2.6 but have VFP 5.0.  I need to copy information from a
> table with 50 fields, two of which are memo fields to a tab delimited
> text file.  The client is going to use the output to load into a web
> application and they want the text fields which are paragraphs of text
> to be represented as just one field.  I'm looking for a way to defeat
> the 254 character string limit or field size limit and/or the output of
> memo field data into a string that could be 800 characters or more.

> Thanks,

> Walter Coffey

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Magazine e-index, or, Long long ago...

2. Help: String to Long to fit!

3. STRTRAN() to fix ASCII: Error 1903: String is too long to fit

4. String too long in PICTURE "@M"

5. ?? long strings?

6. string to long error

7. Beware the String Too Long To Fit

8. Long string problems

9. String for Pass Through command too long

10. Help Anyone (who has experience processing Long Ascii Strings)

11. Long macro command string

12. how long can a string be ?