PrintScrn utility?
Author Message
 PrintScrn utility?

When users encounter occasional errors, I'd like to be able to get a screen
shot in addition to the usual error handling.  Normally, I'd just ask them
to hit the PrintScrn key, paste into Word, and print or save the file.
However, they don't have access to any software other than the VFP
application.  At the moment, I'm thinking of having the user press the
PrintScrn key to load the clipboard, and then designating some other hotkey
that would paste the clipboard contents into a general field in a temp
table.  If there's a solution that requires fewer keystrokes, I'd like to
know.

Can the PrintScrn key be launched programmatically, either from a VFP
command or a low-level call?

TIA

 - Dean Lesner

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PrintScrn utility?
Your solution, to an age old programming dilemma is not the best one.   You
are going to ask a user, to user prt-screen, and then, paste it hopefully,
to some place that you can find it later... (maybe even saved in database)
for what's it worth,  once an error happens (if it is not code related)
the datfiles, are the things which crash.  needing a reindex, or something
like that.  and in that case, vfp usually cant open more files, and has a
hard time finishing out whatever, error trapping stuff you might write.
Tricky tricky stuff error .prgs.

On my last project, I did have the same problem you mention, but what I did
was a little different,

I saved the information about what caused the error, like what program they
were running, what program was the previous,
current record number,  all open tables,  error number,   date and time,
using (I cant remember if it was strtofile() or set textmerge... but somehow
wrote a temp .txt file,  with that information,

before I handled the error... .

but before actually handled the error,  I put the following command in the
errror prg.

+user()

that error report is emailed to me, right then, so I am looking into what
actually caused the problem before the user even has the time to call, and
say,.. 'like I was  just entering name, and this {*filter*}ing system crashed
again.,...."  can you help me.... what ..... I told you, all I was doing was
entering a product id... I told you that....... now make it better... '

You get the error email, in seconds, and how long does it take you to get a
fix,  usually, a minute,... they call, you are on top of it,  before they
knew what happened...

They don't even know, the email was sent....

Sorry not to answer your question,.... I use a great print screen capture
utility, called.  full shot.... if you want to go that direction...

p.s. if you like that email solution, you can get blat for free... at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ %7Etcharron/blat.html

Bob

--
In the beginning, there was the command prompt and all was well.
Bob Lee

www.1amsoftware.com

Quote:
> When users encounter occasional errors, I'd like to be able to get a
screen
> shot in addition to the usual error handling.  Normally, I'd just ask them
> to hit the PrintScrn key, paste into Word, and print or save the file.
> However, they don't have access to any software other than the VFP
> application.  At the moment, I'm thinking of having the user press the
> PrintScrn key to load the clipboard, and then designating some other
hotkey
> that would paste the clipboard contents into a general field in a temp
> table.  If there's a solution that requires fewer keystrokes, I'd like to
> know.

> Can the PrintScrn key be launched programmatically, either from a VFP
> command or a low-level call?

> TIA

>  - Dean Lesner

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PrintScrn utility?

Quote:

>I saved the information about what caused the error, like what program they
>were running, what program was the previous,
>current record number,  all open tables,  error number,   date and time,
>using (I cant remember if it was strtofile() or set textmerge... but somehow
>wrote a temp .txt file,  with that information,

I use:

    LIST MEMO TO FILE error_memory.txt NOCONSOLE
    LIST STATUS TO FILE error_status.txt NOCONSOLE

And then have the user fax or email me the text when they call.

Quote:
>but before actually handled the error,  I put the following command in the
>errror prg.

>+user()

I have not looked at the blat site you referred to, but how does blat know
what stmp server to use?  What does it do if they're not connected to the
net?  I've considered adding email-the-error capability, but then I
reconsidered, thinking I'd wind up mostly supporting the user simply
trying to configure their smtp account.

- John

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 PrintScrn utility?
Blat is so simple to install and configure.

from the command prompt type

install it once, and works forever.
But that is, if your clients are connected to an smtp server all the time.
if not, that email solution is not really good at all.

Bob

Quote:

> >I saved the information about what caused the error, like what program
they
> >were running, what program was the previous,
> >current record number,  all open tables,  error number,   date and time,
> >using (I cant remember if it was strtofile() or set textmerge... but
somehow
> >wrote a temp .txt file,  with that information,

> I use:

>     LIST MEMO TO FILE error_memory.txt NOCONSOLE
>     LIST STATUS TO FILE error_status.txt NOCONSOLE

> And then have the user fax or email me the text when they call.

> >but before actually handled the error,  I put the following command in
the
> >errror prg.

> >+user()

> I have not looked at the blat site you referred to, but how does blat know
> what stmp server to use?  What does it do if they're not connected to the
> net?  I've considered adding email-the-error capability, but then I
> reconsidered, thinking I'd wind up mostly supporting the user simply
> trying to configure their smtp account.

> - John

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Recommendations for VFP data recovery utilities?

2. report to prg utility

3. FileFix utility needed

4. Looking for utility to control file attributes (FPW 2.6a)

5. VFP CD ROM Installation Disk Utility

6. fax utility or plugin?

7. VFPcom Utility not work in Windows 2000

8. Please help me find .exe to .bin utility!

9. Fax Utility in Visual Foxpro 6.0

10. 3rd Party Utilities For FPW

11. RecWare/Foxpro ($conversion utility needed$)

12. Wanted: Utility to convert FoxPro to dBASE III.