Old system written in Foxpro/Lan 1.02. What's the best approach to changes?
Author Message
 Old system written in Foxpro/Lan 1.02. What's the best approach to changes?

Hello,

I have a client who is running an old accounting/inventory/payroll
system called BizWare which was written in the late '80s in Foxpro/Lan
1.02.  He's very happy with what this system does, but is experiencing
printing problems that he'd like to have fixed. I've tried to counsel
him into the idea of buying a whole new system, but he's quite keen on
this one - the printing problems are fairly minor.  So, my question to
anyone out there who might be able to help is, how do I go about
making the necessary changes?

1. Do I try to upgrade it to Visual Foxpro 7.0?
2. Do I attempt to locate a copy of Foxpro/Lan 1.02 and make changes
with that? If so, does anyone have that software I could buy?

I really appreciate any help,

Kind Regards,

Chris Ronak

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:21:31 GMT
 Old system written in Foxpro/Lan 1.02. What's the best approach to changes?
Hi Chris,

Going to Visual Foxpro, it will probably work with minor changes, but it
will look REALLY ugly.
I've upgraded a customer to foxpro 2.6 Unix, which was relatively simple
(very few changes) and I just used the runtime on the unix box which I had
downloaded from Dennis Allens web site a while back.  Development was done
on a old DOS box with a foxpro 2.6 DOS version standard license, and the fxp
were copied to the unix box.

I would like to try to install the runtime on a recent Linux box (Redhat 7.3
or above) with iBcs modules installed.  It apprently has been done, and
quite successfully.  Regarding the foxpro unix runtime, I've seen it
available quite freely on many reputable sites, but not sure on how legal it
is to use.  I remember when I used to purchase the Foxpro runtime for other
clients, it was supposed to be 1 purchased license of the runtime, per
machine (unlike the DOS version where the developper purchased the runtime
once with the distribution kit, and was free to distribute it with his app)
unless MS changed it since it is now obselete.

I do believe I have a copy of Foxpro/Lan somewhere in my closets from a
previous customer (I'd have to check If I still have the license with it).
However with all the documentation (hardcopy back then) it would cost a
fortune to ship :)  If media and license is all you would care for, let me
know and I'm sure we can work something out.

-Tony

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have a client who is running an old accounting/inventory/payroll
> system called BizWare which was written in the late '80s in Foxpro/Lan
> 1.02.  He's very happy with what this system does, but is experiencing
> printing problems that he'd like to have fixed. I've tried to counsel
> him into the idea of buying a whole new system, but he's quite keen on
> this one - the printing problems are fairly minor.  So, my question to
> anyone out there who might be able to help is, how do I go about
> making the necessary changes?

> 1. Do I try to upgrade it to Visual Foxpro 7.0?
> 2. Do I attempt to locate a copy of Foxpro/Lan 1.02 and make changes
> with that? If so, does anyone have that software I could buy?

> I really appreciate any help,

> Kind Regards,

> Chris Ronak

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:34:30 GMT
 Old system written in Foxpro/Lan 1.02. What's the best approach to changes?
Hey Tony,

Thanks for your ideas.  I don't think this client will be too keen on
a Unix solution since he's pretty stuck in his Windows world.  But I'd
like to take you up on the idea of buying your old Fox/lan disks. As
long as it has serial#, authentication keys, etc.  I don't know that
i'd need the manuals.  Let me know what versions you have and we can
strike a deal.

Thanks,

Chris

Quote:

> Hi Chris,

> Going to Visual Foxpro, it will probably work with minor changes, but it
> will look REALLY ugly.
> I've upgraded a customer to foxpro 2.6 Unix, which was relatively simple
> (very few changes) and I just used the runtime on the unix box which I had
> downloaded from Dennis Allens web site a while back.  Development was done
> on a old DOS box with a foxpro 2.6 DOS version standard license, and the fxp
> were copied to the unix box.

> I would like to try to install the runtime on a recent Linux box (Redhat 7.3
> or above) with iBcs modules installed.  It apprently has been done, and
> quite successfully.  Regarding the foxpro unix runtime, I've seen it
> available quite freely on many reputable sites, but not sure on how legal it
> is to use.  I remember when I used to purchase the Foxpro runtime for other
> clients, it was supposed to be 1 purchased license of the runtime, per
> machine (unlike the DOS version where the developper purchased the runtime
> once with the distribution kit, and was free to distribute it with his app)
> unless MS changed it since it is now obselete.

> I do believe I have a copy of Foxpro/Lan somewhere in my closets from a
> previous customer (I'd have to check If I still have the license with it).
> However with all the documentation (hardcopy back then) it would cost a
> fortune to ship :)  If media and license is all you would care for, let me
> know and I'm sure we can work something out.

> -Tony

> > Hello,

> > I have a client who is running an old accounting/inventory/payroll
> > system called BizWare which was written in the late '80s in Foxpro/Lan
> > 1.02.  He's very happy with what this system does, but is experiencing
> > printing problems that he'd like to have fixed. I've tried to counsel
> > him into the idea of buying a whole new system, but he's quite keen on
> > this one - the printing problems are fairly minor.  So, my question to
> > anyone out there who might be able to help is, how do I go about
> > making the necessary changes?

> > 1. Do I try to upgrade it to Visual Foxpro 7.0?
> > 2. Do I attempt to locate a copy of Foxpro/Lan 1.02 and make changes
> > with that? If so, does anyone have that software I could buy?

> > I really appreciate any help,

> > Kind Regards,

> > Chris Ronak

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 06:27:04 GMT
 Old system written in Foxpro/Lan 1.02. What's the best approach to changes?

Your best bet might be to convert to Foxpro 2.6 for Windows.

Yes, it too has been obsoleted by Microsoft, but it will still work on
all Windows operating systems.

There are people like myself and others who do this type of work or you
can hopefully find a copy at:
   http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/msfoxv.htm

The conversion is relatively easy and all of your old code will operate
correctly.

of user "screens" and utilize Foxpro's Screen & Menu designers to
make Windows-looking user interfaces.  Obviously this takes more
time, but it works.

While Visual Foxpro is a VERY good product, the conversion process is
merely OK.  Most everyone recommends not converting (although I have
successfully done it with Foxpro for Windows applications), instead they
recommend a total re-write utilizing the OOP functionality of VFP.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:24:36 GMT

1. I need a copy of Foxpro/LAN 1.02

2. Foxpro/LAN 1.02 and Y2K

3. Foxpro/LAN 1.02 and Y2K

4. Re-Writing an old DOS system

5. FoxPro 1.02 *.fxp to *.prg possible?

6. Transfer FOXPRO2.6 to FOXPRO 1.02

7. Keyboard problems with FoxPro 1.02

8. ACTIVATE MENU question (Foxpro 1.02)

9. HELP!! FoxPro 1.02

10. FoxPro 1.02

11. Converting from FoxBase 1.02 to Foxpro 2.5 for Mac

12. Converting from FoxBase 1.02 to Foxpro 2.5 for Mac