FPW2.5: "not enough memory"
Author Message
 FPW2.5: "not enough memory"

Hi,

I am new in FPW2.5 so excuse me for this question.
I am developing simple database application for small firm.
They have  several 386DX-machins with 4 Mb and 2Mb memory.
They don't plane do buy  additional chips.

With 4Mb my exe-program goes well but with 2Mb machine I receive
message " Not enough memory".
Is it possible to run FPW-exe program on such weak machine?
What to do? How can I configure that system?
Is there anyone who has similar problem and resolved it?

Thanks

You may E-mail me directly or post your message to the conference.

Vladimir

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.5: "not enough memory"

Quote:

(snip)
>  With 4Mb my exe-program goes well but with 2Mb machine I receive
>  message " Not enough memory".
>  Is it possible to run FPW-exe program on such weak machine?
(snip)

No.  The minimum RAM for FPW is 4MB: You HAVE to run Windows in 386 Enhanced Mode.

Larry

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.5: "not enough memory"

Quote:
>Hi,

>I am new in FPW2.5 so excuse me for this question.
>I am developing simple database application for small firm.
>They have  several 386DX-machins with 4 Mb and 2Mb memory.
>They don't plane do buy  additional chips.

>With 4Mb my exe-program goes well but with 2Mb machine I receive
>message " Not enough memory".
>Is it possible to run FPW-exe program on such weak machine?
>What to do? How can I configure that system?
>Is there anyone who has similar problem and resolved it?

>Thanks
>Vladimir

Foxpro for Windows requires 4 megs, so you are out of luck with
2 megs. That is barely enough to run Windows.3.1. A memory
upgrade s/b about $50 per meg.

BOL, Brian

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.5: "not enough memory"

Quote:

>Hi,

>I am new in FPW2.5 so excuse me for this question.
>I am developing simple database application for small firm.
>They have  several 386DX-machins with 4 Mb and 2Mb memory.
>They don't plane do buy  additional chips.

>With 4Mb my exe-program goes well but with 2Mb machine I receive
>message " Not enough memory".
>Is it possible to run FPW-exe program on such weak machine?
>What to do? How can I configure that system?
>Is there anyone who has similar problem and resolved it?

>Thanks

>You may E-mail me directly or post your message to the conference.

>Vladimir

>I suggest RAM Doubler.  It really works in Windows and only costs about

50 bucks on the street.  See Seymour's article in July 3 PC WEEK.

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.5: "not enough memory"

Quote:

>>  With 4Mb my exe-program goes well but with 2Mb machine I receive
>>  message " Not enough memory".
>>  Is it possible to run FPW-exe program on such weak machine?
>(snip)

>No.  The minimum RAM for FPW is 4MB: You HAVE to run Windows in 386
Enhanced
>Mode.

Worse yet, by the time you get to really DOING something with it, you need
at least 8 megs.

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.5: "not enough memory"

Quote:

>Hi,

>I am new in FPW2.5 so excuse me for this question.
>I am developing simple database application for small firm.
>They have  several 386DX-machins with 4 Mb and 2Mb memory.
>They don't plane do buy  additional chips.

>With 4Mb my exe-program goes well but with 2Mb machine I receive
>message " Not enough memory".
>Is it possible to run FPW-exe program on such weak machine?
>What to do? How can I configure that system?
>Is there anyone who has similar problem and resolved it?

>Thanks

>You may E-mail me directly or post your message to the conference.

>Vladimir

You might point out to the firm that they will most likey end up spending
more money trying to manipulate programs to run in the 2 MB that they would
if they upgraded to a reasonalbe amount of memory.  Labor costs are much
more expensive than hardware costs!

Kara Kruse

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.5: "not enough memory"
 >Hi,

Quote:
>I am new in FPW2.5 so excuse me for this question.
>I am developing simple database application for small firm.
>They have  several 386DX-machins with 4 Mb and 2Mb memory.
>They don't plane do buy  additional chips.
>With 4Mb my exe-program goes well but with 2Mb machine I receive
>message " Not enough memory".
>Is it possible to run FPW-exe program on such weak machine?
>What to do? How can I configure that system?
>Is there anyone who has similar problem and resolved it?
>Thanks
>You may E-mail me directly or post your message to the conference.
>Vladimir

My experience is that 4 meg is bare minimum, and that means just runnable.  A
move from 4 to 5 meg on a particular machine made a world of difference and 8
meg made it much better.

My answer would be that I would never expect 2 meg to work.

Jack Linder

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.5: "not enough memory"
I had the same problem with an app that I wrote.  There was
absolutely nothing I could do except tell them to get the larger
machine.  The only way to slim your app down is to break it into
several smaller apps that call eachother and then I am still not
sure if it would work.  A 2 Meg machine is unfortunately going to
be so slow that the time wasted waiting on the machine will pay
for the RAM in short order.

--
Dan

Tue, 30 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. "Not enough diskspace" during a reindex

2. "could not allocate global memory" message

3. Not enough memory in FPW2.6

4. Not enough memory error message - but there is plenty of memory

5. Help "Not enough memory for file map" error

6. "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

7. "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

8. "Not enough memory for file map" error - HELP!

9. Error msg: "Not enough memory for file map"

10. VFP7 will not open (There is not enough memory to complete this operation)

11. Foxpro "insufficient memory" problem

12. "string memory variable area overflow" error