"Not enough diskspace" during a reindex
Author Message
 "Not enough diskspace" during a reindex

I receive the following message while performing a reindex on a 100MB file.
Here is the exact message...

"There is not enough disk space for r:\caretr~1\3\observe.cdx."

I have checked the space availabe on the R:\ drive and it looks like there
is plenty of room(5GB).  There also seems to be plenty of room on the local
drive. (3GB).  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot
this problem?  Could it be a temporary file space issues?  Any ideas would
be appreciated.  Thanks so much for your time.

Sarah

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:39:07 GMT
 "Not enough diskspace" during a reindex
Hi Sarah,
  There are 3 possibilities:
  1. it is using a different drive (other than R and the local driv) to do
the work and that drive is out of space.  Try to determine which drive it is
using.
  2. there is less space available than you think on the R and the local
drive
  3. oops, I forgot the 3rd, but I remember there was a 3rd, sorry.

  In any event, here is another solution which is better than using the
REINDEX command (which will fail if your file header is corrupted): delete
all the tags and create new indices.

  Hope this helps.
  Regards, Chaim (New York City)

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:57:55 GMT
 "Not enough diskspace" during a reindex
I have observed that VFP 5 creates its temporary files when indexing on
the local drive then moves them, perhaps because it first builds
temporary files then copies them.  Under FP/DOS you could specify the
temporary files location and it was completely respected but under
Windows the operating system seems to have a fair amount of discretion
as to what happens - at least that's my take on it.  Regardless of the
reasons, when we have, in VFP 5 or 6, created an empty table, added a
lot of records, then built several index tags, all supposed on a network
drive, most of the disk activity takes place on the local drive, with
network activity happening only at the very end.

-S-

Quote:

> I receive the following message while performing a reindex on a 100MB file.
> Here is the exact message...

> "There is not enough disk space for r:\caretr~1\3\observe.cdx."

> I have checked the space availabe on the R:\ drive and it looks like there
> is plenty of room(5GB).  There also seems to be plenty of room on the local
> drive. (3GB).  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot
> this problem?  Could it be a temporary file space issues?  Any ideas would
> be appreciated.  Thanks so much for your time.

> Sarah

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:18:51 GMT
 "Not enough diskspace" during a reindex
Sarah,
The size of the data file is not always a good estimate of the requirements
of an index file. A .CDX depends on the number and length of the keys, and
the number of records in the table. Since you are doing a REINDEX, remember
that FoxPro won't remove the original index file, until the new one is
created, so you've go to have at least twice as much room, plus the
temporary files FP may create. (I believe an old help file recommended that
you have at least 2 1/2 times as much free space as the size of the current
index file for a REINDEX.) Also note that the amount of available space
reported by Explorer can be misleading - it doesn't always know about system
temporary files - especially on Novell file servers!

Rick

Quote:
> I receive the following message while performing a reindex on a 100MB
file.
> Here is the exact message...

> "There is not enough disk space for r:\caretr~1\3\observe.cdx."

> I have checked the space availabe on the R:\ drive and it looks like there
> is plenty of room(5GB).  There also seems to be plenty of room on the
local
> drive. (3GB).  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot
> this problem?  Could it be a temporary file space issues?  Any ideas would
> be appreciated.  Thanks so much for your time.

> Sarah

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:17:14 GMT
 "Not enough diskspace" during a reindex
Look at the FoxPro configuration file config.fpw for the location of the
TEMP directory.

Look at the OS environment and see where the TEMP files are located.  Both
of these temp files should be the same location.

HTH

dan

Quote:
> I have observed that VFP 5 creates its temporary files when indexing on
> the local drive then moves them, perhaps because it first builds
> temporary files then copies them.  Under FP/DOS you could specify the
> temporary files location and it was completely respected but under
> Windows the operating system seems to have a fair amount of discretion
> as to what happens - at least that's my take on it.  Regardless of the
> reasons, when we have, in VFP 5 or 6, created an empty table, added a
> lot of records, then built several index tags, all supposed on a network
> drive, most of the disk activity takes place on the local drive, with
> network activity happening only at the very end.

> -S-

> > I receive the following message while performing a reindex on a 100MB
file.
> > Here is the exact message...

> > "There is not enough disk space for r:\caretr~1\3\observe.cdx."

> > I have checked the space availabe on the R:\ drive and it looks like
there
> > is plenty of room(5GB).  There also seems to be plenty of room on the
local
> > drive. (3GB).  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to
troubleshoot
> > this problem?  Could it be a temporary file space issues?  Any ideas
would
> > be appreciated.  Thanks so much for your time.

> > Sarah

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 04:52:40 GMT
 "Not enough diskspace" during a reindex

Quote:
> Look at the FoxPro configuration file config.fpw for the location of the
> TEMP directory.

> Look at the OS environment and see where the TEMP files are located.  Both
> of these temp files should be the same location.

In FPW2.6 it is the "SORTWORK" entry for index (re)creation (maybe that
changed in later versions?)
As far as I'm aware, this can only be set at startup in the config.fpw file
(along with EDITWORK, TMPFILES and PROGWORK)

(from helpfile)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*
SORTWORK

Specifies where commands such as SORT and INDEX will place their temporary
work files.  SORT and INDEX can require work space up to twice the size of
the file being sorted or indexed, so be sure there is enough room in this
directory.  This parameter can be useful when you are operating FoxPro in a
multi-user environment.  SORTWORK and related commands are discussed below.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*

HTH
--
Andrew Howell

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:05:44 GMT

1. FPW2.5: "not enough memory"

2. Error "Not a Database File"

3. HELP: "Variable xyz not found"

4. "could not allocate global memory" message

5. Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"

6. "Source not available"

7. "Source not available"

8. Variable "xxx" not found error

9. "SET FILTER TO" not working

10. VFP6: "Object is not found", but is definitely there

11. VFP 5 "printer driver not loaded"

12. "File not open"