A thank you, a surprising syntax error and a solution.
Author Message
 A thank you, a surprising syntax error and a solution.

I am new to vfp. I use vfp 6 and win2000.

1.
I would like to thank everybody in this group for all the help I have
been given to learn visual foxpro! I have bought books and more books,
but without the hands-on help here I would have given up a long time
ago.

2.
This evening I could not open a form to modify it. All I got was
'syntax error'. Some experimentation revealed that my error had been
to set the value property of a textbox (based on a textbox class) to
'(empty files)'. My idea was to give the textbox an initial value.

(I gather I should have used thisform.txtbase.value = '(empty files)'
in the form's show or activate method instead.)

3.
It was rather sad not being able to open a form I had put quite a bit
of work into. Then I was bold enough to open the form as a table with
the data session window and by looking around carefully I found the
memo field with value=(empty files). I just deleted the line with
value=(empty files), closed the table, and, hurrah!, the form could
now be opened for modification. That felt rather good!

Regards,

Jan Nordgreen

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:05:02 GMT
 A thank you, a surprising syntax error and a solution.
Hello, Jan!
You wrote  on 12 Mar 2003 17:05:02 -0800:

 JN> 1.
 JN> I would like to thank everybody in this group for all the help I have
 JN> been given to learn visual foxpro! I have bought books and more books,
 JN> but without the hands-on help here I would have given up a long time
 JN> ago.

 JN> 2.
 JN> This evening I could not open a form to modify it. All I got was
 JN> 'syntax error'. Some experimentation revealed that my error had been
 JN> to set the value property of a textbox (based on a textbox class) to
 JN> '(empty files)'. My idea was to give the textbox an initial value.

 JN> (I gather I should have used thisform.txtbase.value = '(empty files)'
 JN> in the form's show or activate method instead.)

 JN> 3.
 JN> It was rather sad not being able to open a form I had put quite a bit
 JN> of work into. Then I was bold enough to open the form as a table with
 JN> the data session window and by looking around carefully I found the
 JN> memo field with value=(empty files). I just deleted the line with
 JN> value=(empty files), closed the table, and, hurrah!, the form could
 JN> now be opened for modification. That felt rather good!

 JN> Regards,

Nice. Thanks for sharing this with us!
---
Eric den Doop

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:22:50 GMT

1. Syntax error in view but syntax is correct

2. FoxPro Version 3.0b - Error loading file-RowSource-record #37.Syntax Error

3. HELP! Unknown Error code -5 / Syntax Error

4. THANK YOU - THANK YOU VERY MUCH YOUR ANSWERS

5. Thanks for advice with fsize() error.

6. One solution to Error 1104 on Pentium IIs

7. Unexplainable Syntax error

8. SET READBORDER - SYNTAX ERROR

9. Syntax error populating combo box.

10. RQBE correct yet syntax error on compile

11. Syntax error migrating dbase IV reports w/ migration kit

12. Syntax error running sql script on VFP tables