Not a table/DBF message
Author Message
 Not a table/DBF message

I have a table that I initially created in Foxbase but have been using with
FP/Mac for a couple months now. Today I attempt to open the .dbf file only
to get a message stating: Not a table/DBF. What gives? I have tried
everything to open this file to no avail. Any ideas?

Best regards,
Steve Haslet
"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome." - Dr. Samuel Johnson

Fri, 16 Aug 1996 15:37:06 GMT
 Not a table/DBF message

Quote:

>I have a table that I initially created in Foxbase but have been using with
>FP/Mac for a couple months now. Today I attempt to open the .dbf file only
>to get a message stating: Not a table/DBF. What gives? I have tried
>everything to open this file to no avail. Any ideas?

>Best regards,
>Steve Haslet
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
>overcome." - Dr. Samuel Johnson

I have had this problem occur numerous times on our FoxPro for DOS v2.0
and v2.5.  I'm still not sure why it happens, but if I went back to FoxBase
and tried to open it, it works fine (under FoxBase).  You might try going
back to FoxBase and doing a COPY TO, then try to open it under FoxPro for
Mac.
Mark T. Boyer              These are my opinions!!!! Mine, Mine, Mine...

Oak Ridge, Tennessee       contrator.

Sun, 18 Aug 1996 23:11:09 GMT
 Not a table/DBF message

Quote:
> I have a table that I initially created in Foxbase but have been using with
> FP/Mac for a couple months now. Today I attempt to open the .dbf file only
> to get a message stating: Not a table/DBF. What gives? I have tried
> everything to open this file to no avail. Any ideas?

> Best regards,
> Steve Haslet

Hi Steve,

I am not familiar with the FP/Mac product, but I think it may have to do with
something like this.  The Table/DBF files have at the top of the file a field
that specifies how many records are in the table.  If somehow this field does
not match the actual number of records in the table, then FP says it is not
valid.  This can happen on a network, power outage, etc.

What you need to do is use the low level IO functions to open and read the
table/DBF file, count the number of records in it and then write that number
at the top of the file.  Check out an FP book that specifies what the header
of the DBF file looks like.

Regards,

Farrokh

--

Anything I post is my opinion, not anyone else's problem.

Wed, 21 Aug 1996 06:02:49 GMT
 Not a table/DBF message

Quote:
> I have a table that I initially created in Foxbase but have been using with
> FP/Mac for a couple months now. Today I attempt to open the .dbf file only
> to get a message stating: Not a table/DBF. What gives? I have tried
> everything to open this file to no avail. Any ideas?

> Best regards,
> Steve Haslet
> I have had this problem occur numerous times on our FoxPro for DOS v2.0
> and v2.5.  I'm still not sure why it happens, but if I went back to FoxBase
> and tried to open it, it works fine (under FoxBase).  You might try going
> back to FoxBase and doing a COPY TO, then try to open it under FoxPro for
> Mac.
> Mark T. Boyer              These are my opinions!!!! Mine, Mine, Mine...

> Oak Ridge, Tennessee       contrator.

The reason is that Foxbase will not stop opening the file if the record count
field at the header of the file does not match the number of records. Foxpro
does stop further processing.

There may be tools out there that can correct this, or write a low level IO
function to read the file, count the number of records, update the count field
at the top of the DBF file, and voila!

Regards,

Farrokh

Wed, 21 Aug 1996 06:35:08 GMT

1. Error message - Not a table/DBF file

2. Visual Foxpro 6 - Not A Table Error Message

3. Not a Table ERROR Message

4. "Not a Table" error message

5. 'NOT A TABLE' error message

6. Not a table/DBF file

7. Need help w/ Not a Table/DBF errors

8. Not a table/dbf

9. Not a Table/DBF - FPD 2.6

10. error 15 not a table/dbf

11. Not a Fox table/DBF

12. Not a table/DBF error over NT network