Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?
Author Message
 Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

Hello!

I'm planning to write a small FoxPro application with VFP and
create the .exe with the professional version. This program
should run on a variety of different PC's, even on a
40 MHz - 386 with 4 MB RAM. Is this possible or is there a minimum
for memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

Thanks for your help!

Heidrun Bethge
                                                \|/
                                               /^ ^\

Institut fuer Festkoerperphysik                \ v /
Universitaet Hannover Germany              ///   \\\
                                            // \|_|/ \\
                                              / m m \

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

Quote:

>Hello!

>I'm planning to write a small FoxPro application with VFP and
>create the .exe with the professional version. This program
>should run on a variety of different PC's, even on a
>40 MHz - 386 with 4 MB RAM. Is this possible or is there a minimum
>for memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

>Thanks for your help!

>Heidrun Bethge
>                                                \|/
>                                               /^ ^\

>Institut fuer Festkoerperphysik                \ v /
>Universitaet Hannover Germany              ///   \\\
>                                            // \|_|/ \\
>                                              / m m \

Heidrum,
    The mimimun memory required for VFP is 8MB and that's all you will
be able to run.  You'll need 12MB to run VFP well and 16MB if you want
to run other programs at the same time.  This is just my opinion.

Karl S.
Boulder Software
P.S.  You'll have a hard time finding anything other than "C" to run in
4MB.

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?
Quote:
>>Karl S.
>>Boulder Software
>>P.S.  You'll have a hard time finding anything other than "C" to

run >>in 4MB.

I have a 4 form VB app that runs in 2MB...If VFP is such a resource
pig, I won't be using for nearly as much as I thought I would a month
ago...

Jon

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?
I must say it is a very good opinion. I have loaded and exe on a 486sx
with 4 meg and you will wait forever for anything to happen
What do you do when you have customers with old machines????

says...

Quote:

>>Hello!

>>I'm planning to write a small FoxPro application with VFP and
>>create the .exe with the professional version. This program
>>should run on a variety of different PC's, even on a
>>40 MHz - 386 with 4 MB RAM. Is this possible or is there a minimum
>>for memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

>>Thanks for your help!

>>Heidrun Bethge
>>                                                \|/
>>                                               /^ ^\

>>Institut fuer Festkoerperphysik                \ v /
>>Universitaet Hannover Germany              ///   \\\
>>                                            // \|_|/ \\
>>                                              / m m \

>Heidrum,
>    The mimimun memory required for VFP is 8MB and that's all you will
>be able to run.  You'll need 12MB to run VFP well and 16MB if you want
>to run other programs at the same time.  This is just my opinion.

>Karl S.
>Boulder Software
>P.S.  You'll have a hard time finding anything other than "C" to run in
>4MB.

Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

Quote:
>  >I'm planning to write a small FoxPro application with VFP and
>  >create the .exe with the professional version. This program
>  >should run on a variety of different PC's, even on a
>  >40 MHz - 386 with 4 MB RAM. Is this possible or is there a minimum
>  >for memory to run a VFP-created .exe?
>  Heidrum,
>      The mimimun memory required for VFP is 8MB and that's all you will
>  be able to run.  You'll need 12MB to run VFP well and 16MB if you want
>  to run other programs at the same time.  This is just my opinion.

>  Karl S.

I have customers that are happy with 486/33 and 2 Meg with FP2.0.  The programs have been running
for YEARS.  They really don't want(need) all the icing.  Some of them are in the 30,000 mailing per month club and
they want solid, dependable, (fast) DOS front ends.

"newer is not always better'

Dennis

Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

Quote:
>I have customers that are happy with 486/33 and 2 Meg with FP2.0.  The programs have been running
>for YEARS.  They really don't want(need) all the icing.  Some of them are in the 30,000 mailing per month club and
>they want solid, dependable, (fast) DOS front ends.
>"newer is not always better'
>Dennis

I'm certain that dos based applications will be around for at least a
few years to come. I think announcing the demise of DOS is a bit
premature. But with the coming of windows 95 (soon to become some
version of Windows NT in my opinion) if one wants to stay gainfully
employed in the business of developing database applications, one has
to start looking at GUI based systems. For those of us who are
currently in denial, postponing the adoption of the new tools, will
put them so far behind the learning curve that by the time they decide
to jump on the bandwagon it may be too late.

By the way your average home machine (yes, the machine you buy junior
at your local electronics outlet) is now some form a pentium machine
with about 1/2 gig of HD and 8 megs of ram. Think about it.

Anyway, those are just my ramblings.

Jorge.
Jorge Martinez                         |  "Did you also roast your
Programmer/Analyst/DBA                 |   marshmallows on a pile
San Francisco Unified School District  |   or flaming gonads?"

Wed, 28 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

A trivial VFP-created .EXE (for instance, the one I just compiled
which says "Hello World" and exits) is only about 17KB.  Of course it
does have to load at least some of VFP300.ESL.

But when someone says 8-12MB, I have to believe that they are talking
about the requirements for the entire VFP development environment, not
for a VFP-created .EXE.  I would guess that the memory required for
the latter would vary greatly but would never exceed the amount
required for developing and testing the app since the runtime
environment requires far less overhead than the development
environment.

Joe  (who is new to VFP and both loves and hates it already)

Thu, 29 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

Quote:
>>But when someone says 8-12MB, I have to believe that they are talking
>>about the requirements for the entire VFP development environment, not
>>for a VFP-created .EXE.  I would guess that the memory required for

Boy I hope you're right about that.  I need to write a client applet
that will run in no more than 4MB RAM.  It's so simple, I could
create a similar app in VB that would run in 2MB RAM, but I want to
sub-class the list box and add some essential features.

If anybody out there gets a VFP app to run in less than 8MB RAM,
please post your experience immediately!!

Thanks,

Fri, 30 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe

2. Problem running EXE created from VFP Pro

3. Running a VFP exe from another VFP exe

4. Minimum 1.79MB free memory needed to run exe!!!??

5. Error when running wizard created setup.exe

6. MINIMUM EXE

7. Memory and CPU required to run 2 VFP sessions in Terminal Server (Win2000)

8. VFP 5.0 and NT 4.0 and running out of Virtual memory

9. Build EXE in VFP & Memory

10. VFP EXE memory requirements

11. Creating an EXE from a APP created by FOXAPP.APP

12. Minimum VFP System File List