dbc VS Free tables
Author Message
 dbc VS Free tables

Need help trying to understand the reason to mygrate my
free tables to a dbc? When I add the tables to the dbc the
tables are still outside the dbc also. My program can
still access the tables as free tables. ????????help

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:31:10 GMT
 dbc VS Free tables
Hi Harry,

A Database Container (DBC) file doesn't have the actual tables in it.
Instead it has metadata about the tables (long field names, field captions,
etc.) in it. Among other things it also it continues the code for stored
procedures. You will need to add your tables to a DBC in order to take
advantage of these features.

Once your tables are in the DBC you will still see them in Explorer as DBFs
with CDXs, etc. However, if you copy the DBFs to another directory and don't
also copy the DBC (etc.) you will not be able to open the tables. They are
not "free" from the DBC.

Post back if you have further questions.

> Need help trying to understand the reason to mygrate my
> free tables to a dbc? When I add the tables to the dbc the
> tables are still outside the dbc also. My program can
> still access the tables as free tables. ????????help

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 03:12:36 GMT
 dbc VS Free tables
Hi Cindy,
 I want to know can some other 3rd party dbf viewer or as
such can veiw such tables in DBC and also i want to know
how can we protect the tables to be opened by some
application and not by the user using foxpro can we
protect it.

Quote:

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:45:48 GMT
 dbc VS Free tables
Hi Kumar,

It depends on how the third-party app is written. VFP6 format tables can be
read through ODBC by applications such as Access or even Excel. If the new
features of VFP7 or VFP8 are used, the table will no longer be accessible
through ODBC. However, it will be accessible through a newer technology, OLE
DB.

You can't have really tight security with VFP tables but you can keep the
typical user out by instantiating an object in your application and use the
VFP7 database events. In the BeforeOpenTables event check for the presence
of the instantiated object and proceed if it's there, otherwise return .F..
You can still work with the tables in the VFP IDE by instantiating the
object before you proceed.

If you need more security use MSDE or SQL Server with a FoxPro front end.

>  I want to know can some other 3rd party dbf viewer or as
> such can veiw such tables in DBC and also i want to know
> how can we protect the tables to be opened by some
> application and not by the user using foxpro can we
> protect it.
> >A Database Container (DBC) file doesn't have the actual
> tables in it.
> >Instead it has metadata about the tables (long field
> names, field captions,
> >etc.) in it. Among other things it also it continues the
> code for stored
> >procedures. You will need to add your tables to a DBC in
> order to take
> >advantage of these features.

> >Once your tables are in the DBC you will still see them
> in Explorer as DBFs
> >with CDXs, etc. However, if you copy the DBFs to another
> directory and don't
> >also copy the DBC (etc.) you will not be able to open the
> tables. They are
> >not "free" from the DBC.
> >> Need help trying to understand the reason to mygrate my
> >> free tables to a dbc? When I add the tables to the dbc
> the
> >> tables are still outside the dbc also. My program can
> >> still access the tables as free tables. ????????help

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:38:07 GMT

1. dbc vs free table

2. Free Tables vs DBC

3. DBC vs. Free Tables in ODBC

4. .dbc vs. free tables

5. Free tables vs dbc

6. Database table vs Free table ?

7. Set relation problems between DBC and free tables

8. Performance of Free tables compared to within a DBC

9. How to import hundreds of free table to one DBC

10. Free Tables to DBC - Is behaviour different?

11. Databases vs. Free Tables

12. DBF vs Free Tables