Remote views in VFP8 (maximum open cursors exceeded)
Author Message
 Remote views in VFP8 (maximum open cursors exceeded)

Hi everybody.

We have a problem with remote views --> Oracle.
We have a system that was developed in VFP6 using remote views
with a shared connection through ODBC (MS ODBC for Oracle) to
an Oracle DBMS.

The VFP6 version ends up with one connection to Oracle and all
views uses this connection. This is easily confirmed by the
following SQL (using Oracle SQL*Plus):

select *
from v$session b,
v$open_cursor a
where a.sid = b.sid;

We converted the VFP6 source to VFP8 and built new applications.
When running the new VFP8-application we rather quicky run into
the Oracle message

"ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded".

... when using the same Oracle database. The above SQL gives
one connection per view (you can view part of the remote view SQL
from the results of the above SQL).

All views have the ShareConnection property set (or else the
VFP6-version woldn't have worked). The parameters set in the VFP8 DBC
is the same as used in the VFP6 DBC. As far as I can tell this
isn't connected to a particular version of Oracle.

Can't find any solution to this. Searched everywhere...
Am I missing something obvious? Is it a bug?

Erlend.

Facility Management as, N-9291 Troms? http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:23:22 GMT
 Remote views in VFP8 (maximum open cursors exceeded)
VFP8 has a new command clause
USE view CONNSTRING cConnectionString | (m.nStatementHandle)
 among other differences. VFP8 also use statement handles. You should review
the Help for
the Search strings "statement handle" and "Connction handle"
-Anders

Quote:
> Hi everybody.

> We have a problem with remote views --> Oracle.
> We have a system that was developed in VFP6 using remote views
> with a shared connection through ODBC (MS ODBC for Oracle) to
> an Oracle DBMS.

> The VFP6 version ends up with one connection to Oracle and all
> views uses this connection. This is easily confirmed by the
> following SQL (using Oracle SQL*Plus):

> select *
> from v$session b,
> v$open_cursor a
> where a.sid = b.sid;

> We converted the VFP6 source to VFP8 and built new applications.
> When running the new VFP8-application we rather quicky run into
> the Oracle message

> "ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded".

> ... when using the same Oracle database. The above SQL gives
> one connection per view (you can view part of the remote view SQL
> from the results of the above SQL).

> All views have the ShareConnection property set (or else the
> VFP6-version woldn't have worked). The parameters set in the VFP8 DBC
> is the same as used in the VFP6 DBC. As far as I can tell this
> isn't connected to a particular version of Oracle.

> Can't find any solution to this. Searched everywhere...
> Am I missing something obvious? Is it a bug?

> Erlend.

> Facility Management as, N-9291 Troms? http://www.facilit.no/

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:51:09 GMT
 Remote views in VFP8 (maximum open cursors exceeded)
The command "USE view CONNSTRING (m.nStatementHandle)"
works, and eliminates exessive statement handles. Oracle is happy,
therefore we are happy.

Remote views should have had a property to fix this, though...

Thanks for your help (and for saving my sanity)!!!     :-)

Erlend.

Quote:
> VFP8 has a new command clause
> USE view CONNSTRING cConnectionString | (m.nStatementHandle)
>  among other differences. VFP8 also use statement handles. You should
review
> the Help for
> the Search strings "statement handle" and "Connction handle"
> -Anders

message

> > Hi everybody.

> > We have a problem with remote views --> Oracle.
> > We have a system that was developed in VFP6 using remote views
> > with a shared connection through ODBC (MS ODBC for Oracle) to
> > an Oracle DBMS.

> > The VFP6 version ends up with one connection to Oracle and all
> > views uses this connection. This is easily confirmed by the
> > following SQL (using Oracle SQL*Plus):

> > select *
> > from v$session b,
> > v$open_cursor a
> > where a.sid = b.sid;

> > We converted the VFP6 source to VFP8 and built new applications.
> > When running the new VFP8-application we rather quicky run into
> > the Oracle message

> > "ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded".

> > ... when using the same Oracle database. The above SQL gives
> > one connection per view (you can view part of the remote view SQL
> > from the results of the above SQL).

> > All views have the ShareConnection property set (or else the
> > VFP6-version woldn't have worked). The parameters set in the VFP8 DBC
> > is the same as used in the VFP6 DBC. As far as I can tell this
> > isn't connected to a particular version of Oracle.

> > Can't find any solution to this. Searched everywhere...
> > Am I missing something obvious? Is it a bug?

> > Erlend.

> > Facility Management as, N-9291 Troms? http://www.facilit.no/

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:56:12 GMT

1. VFP8 Remote view gotcha

2. VFP8 remote views connection handle problem

3. Remote views in VFP8

4. Record is used by another (109) error using REMOTE VIEW CURSORS

5. Use Server Cursor or Remote SQL View?

6. Use Server Cursor or Remote SQL View?

7. VFP6 Remote View and Cursor?

8. Use Server Cursor or Remote SQL View?

9. Writing an SQL in Code to open a remote view on a server using ip address

10. remote view opens exclusive

11. SELECT - SQL applied to remote offline view, opened online, crashes VFP 6.0 SP3

12. Very strange: remote view on Access MDB won't open