New printer will NOT landscape!
Author Message
 New printer will NOT landscape!

Well, I thought I'd seen it all until now...

I replaced my old TI printer with a HP LaserJet 2100 (PCL6).
Now I cannot get a single report to print in landscape!  I've
purged all report files of any printer specific info and have
even tried to create a new landscape report with the HP 2100
identified as the default printer.  Everything previews fine,
but always prints in portrait orientation.  I have tried every
combination of orientation in both the reports and in the
printer setup to no avail.  I have the latest
drivers from HP.  I know HP drivers can be flakey.  How do I
get this thing to play nice with VFP?  Any ideas?  A different
driver?  Back it down to PCL5 somehow?  Do something to VFP?
(currently VFP 6 SP3)

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 03:18:18 GMT
 New printer will NOT landscape!

Quote:

> Well, I thought I'd seen it all until now...

> I replaced my old TI printer with a HP LaserJet 2100 (PCL6).
> Now I cannot get a single report to print in landscape!  I've
> purged all report files of any printer specific info and have
> even tried to create a new landscape report with the HP 2100
> identified as the default printer.  Everything previews fine,
> but always prints in portrait orientation.  I have tried every
> combination of orientation in both the reports and in the
> printer setup to no avail.  I have the latest
> drivers from HP.  I know HP drivers can be flakey.  How do I
> get this thing to play nice with VFP?  Any ideas?  A different
> driver?  Back it down to PCL5 somehow?  Do something to VFP?
> (currently VFP 6 SP3)

Well, there is no understanding HP's drivers here...

Thinking this might be an issue with using the PCL6 driver, I
replaced it with the PCL5 driver.  Well, that did allow the
landscape reports to actually print landscape, however the
output was horrible - 1 point lines printing as 3 or 4 point,
grey bars printing as solid black.  Yuck.  It was equally
bad with other applications.

So I switched back to the PCL6 driver and wouldn't you know
it, the reports now come out in the right orientation.

Aaaarrrggghh!!!!  I hate it when something broken fixes
itself with no sign as to why!____________________________

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:17:18 GMT
 New printer will NOT landscape!
HP's PCL6 stuff seems very dodgy. Try removing the drivers and using the
MS-supplied LaserJet 4 drivers.

Quote:

> > Well, I thought I'd seen it all until now...

> > I replaced my old TI printer with a HP LaserJet 2100 (PCL6).
> > Now I cannot get a single report to print in landscape!  I've
> > purged all report files of any printer specific info and have
> > even tried to create a new landscape report with the HP 2100
> > identified as the default printer.  Everything previews fine,
> > but always prints in portrait orientation.  I have tried every
> > combination of orientation in both the reports and in the
> > printer setup to no avail.  I have the latest
> > drivers from HP.  I know HP drivers can be flakey.  How do I
> > get this thing to play nice with VFP?  Any ideas?  A different
> > driver?  Back it down to PCL5 somehow?  Do something to VFP?
> > (currently VFP 6 SP3)

> Well, there is no understanding HP's drivers here...

> Thinking this might be an issue with using the PCL6 driver, I
> replaced it with the PCL5 driver.  Well, that did allow the
> landscape reports to actually print landscape, however the
> output was horrible - 1 point lines printing as 3 or 4 point,
> grey bars printing as solid black.  Yuck.  It was equally
> bad with other applications.

> So I switched back to the PCL6 driver and wouldn't you know
> it, the reports now come out in the right orientation.

> Aaaarrrggghh!!!!  I hate it when something broken fixes
> itself with no sign as to why!____________________________

> -- TRW
> _______________________________________
> My e-mail:  t r w 7

> _______________________________________

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:24:24 GMT
 New printer will NOT landscape!
HP's PCL6 stuff seems very dodgy. Try removing the drivers and using the
MS-supplied LaserJet 4 drivers.

Quote:

> > Well, I thought I'd seen it all until now...

> > I replaced my old TI printer with a HP LaserJet 2100 (PCL6).
> > Now I cannot get a single report to print in landscape!  I've
> > purged all report files of any printer specific info and have
> > even tried to create a new landscape report with the HP 2100
> > identified as the default printer.  Everything previews fine,
> > but always prints in portrait orientation.  I have tried every
> > combination of orientation in both the reports and in the
> > printer setup to no avail.  I have the latest
> > drivers from HP.  I know HP drivers can be flakey.  How do I
> > get this thing to play nice with VFP?  Any ideas?  A different
> > driver?  Back it down to PCL5 somehow?  Do something to VFP?
> > (currently VFP 6 SP3)

> Well, there is no understanding HP's drivers here...

> Thinking this might be an issue with using the PCL6 driver, I
> replaced it with the PCL5 driver.  Well, that did allow the
> landscape reports to actually print landscape, however the
> output was horrible - 1 point lines printing as 3 or 4 point,
> grey bars printing as solid black.  Yuck.  It was equally
> bad with other applications.

> So I switched back to the PCL6 driver and wouldn't you know
> it, the reports now come out in the right orientation.

> Aaaarrrggghh!!!!  I hate it when something broken fixes
> itself with no sign as to why!____________________________

> -- TRW
> _______________________________________
> My e-mail:  t r w 7

> _______________________________________

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:24:24 GMT
 New printer will NOT landscape!
Tim,

try reinstalling the drivers as a "HP Printer (Copy 2)"  and use those instead.
 Or delete the print drivers and reinstall them.

Great, you are having the complete opposite problem I am having on ALL
printers.  I am using the Microsoft Common Dialog ActiveX control and I set the
Orientation property to Landscape.  It works great.  But, then everything
starts printing in landscape even if I set the Orientation property to
1=Portrait.  The only way for it to go back to portrait is for the user to
click the Portrait in the printer dialog.  I posted a reply a few days ago but
I've gotten no replies as of yet.

Regards,

Quote:
>Subject: Re: New printer will NOT landscape!

>Date: 2/9/2001 1:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

>HP's PCL6 stuff seems very dodgy. Try removing the drivers and using the
>MS-supplied LaserJet 4 drivers.

>> > Well, I thought I'd seen it all until now...

>> > I replaced my old TI printer with a HP LaserJet 2100 (PCL6).
>> > Now I cannot get a single report to print in landscape!  I've
>> > purged all report files of any printer specific info and have
>> > even tried to create a new landscape report with the HP 2100
>> > identified as the default printer.  Everything previews fine,
>> > but always prints in portrait orientation.  I have tried every
>> > combination of orientation in both the reports and in the
>> > printer setup to no avail.  I have the latest
>> > drivers from HP.  I know HP drivers can be flakey.  How do I
>> > get this thing to play nice with VFP?  Any ideas?  A different
>> > driver?  Back it down to PCL5 somehow?  Do something to VFP?
>> > (currently VFP 6 SP3)

>> Well, there is no understanding HP's drivers here...

>> Thinking this might be an issue with using the PCL6 driver, I
>> replaced it with the PCL5 driver.  Well, that did allow the
>> landscape reports to actually print landscape, however the
>> output was horrible - 1 point lines printing as 3 or 4 point,
>> grey bars printing as solid black.  Yuck.  It was equally
>> bad with other applications.

>> So I switched back to the PCL6 driver and wouldn't you know
>> it, the reports now come out in the right orientation.

>> Aaaarrrggghh!!!!  I hate it when something broken fixes
>> itself with no sign as to why!____________________________

>> -- TRW
>> _______________________________________
>> My e-mail:  t r w 7

>> _______________________________________

Mike

Sat, 02 Aug 2003 11:00:00 GMT
 New printer will NOT landscape!
And you have removed all of the printer-specific info from the
report files?  If you're this deep into it, I'm sure you have,
but when I am doing heavy report development, it surprises me
how many times I forget to clean out the FRX files so that the
reports print correctly.

-- TRW

Quote:

--
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 02:38:09 GMT
 New printer will NOT landscape!
Yes I have but that would not matter anyways because that's not where the
problem is occurring.  It's not occurring when printing reports.   I'm using
the ActiveX textcontrol and that's where I'm having the problem.  Maybe I
should ask on their website but there are too many VB lovers over there.

Hopeless but still hoping a solution will come along.......

Quote:

>And you have removed all of the printer-specific info from the
>report files?  If you're this deep into it, I'm sure you have,
>but when I am doing heavy report development, it surprises me
>how many times I forget to clean out the FRX files so that the
>reports print correctly.

>-- TRW

Mike

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 18:40:25 GMT

1. Need Program Control over Printer Landscape/Portrait in FoxWin

2. Canon BJC-4200 Landscape printer codes

3. Foxpro 2.5 Dos Printer setup for page orientation - Landscape

4. Setting printer to landscape mode?

5. Setting printer to landscape in a program

6. WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY FOR THE SERVICE

7. I need a FoxPro job near Indianapolis, IN - willing to relocate if necessary

8. Commtools Help - willing to pay

9. NEW HP PRINTERS

10. Start new page when printing to duplex printer

11. NEW HP PRINTERS

12. GPF when printing to newer HP Printers