Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.
Author Message
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

Hi!
I'm using VFP 3.0a and now facing to develop a new big app, and want to use
the client server paradigm. But I wont to use local views to write the
program and upsize later. I wish to develop the app connected to remote
data from the first moment. As you can guess, I haven't access to the hefty
MS SQL Server 6.5. The question is: can I find some inexpensive SQL server
to develop my program, or should I bought a new machine to install NT 4.0
and SQL server 6.5 (and break then my bank account heehee)?

Thanks in advance, and best regards for all you from Argentina!

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

With a valid FP license, you're qualified to get MS Visual Studio Enterprise
Edition at the upgrade price.  It includes VB 5.0, VC++ 5.0, SQL Server 6.5
Devs edition and VFP 5.0, and is probably the cheapest alternative.

Oyvind Snibsoer

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

Would creating the database in VFP in a different project and connect to it
through ODBC
serve your purpose.

Then when you move to SQL server you can use the upsizing wizard to create
the schema on SQL Server?

This is just a thought and I have heard of others doing this.  I myself have
not tried it.

Quote:
>Hi!
>I'm using VFP 3.0a and now facing to develop a new big app, and want to use
>the client server paradigm. But I wont to use local views to write the
>program and upsize later. I wish to develop the app connected to remote
>data from the first moment. As you can guess, I haven't access to the hefty
>MS SQL Server 6.5. The question is: can I find some inexpensive SQL server
>to develop my program, or should I bought a new machine to install NT 4.0
>and SQL server 6.5 (and break then my bank account heehee)?

>Thanks in advance, and best regards for all you from Argentina!

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

Yeppers. When prototyping, you can work with local views taken from local
tables, or use ODBC to access the local tables, and let VFP think they're
remote ones. The last one is the option I chose for the moment. It works,
but not seamlessly. It has some minor glitches, for instance, the WHERE
clause behaviours like SET ANSI is always ON. Or when I marked for deletion
one record in the view, and send the update back, the entire recordset was
marked.  All these were surprises for me. The message I get is clear: be
prepared to spend some overnight sessions to get the job done, specially
for a beginner like me. Hey, all this has some sense only when you plan to
upsize later, of course. Thank you for your interest.
Best regards from Argentina :-)
Carlos

Quote:
> Would creating the database in VFP in a different project and connect to
it
> through ODBC
> serve your purpose.

> Then when you move to SQL server you can use the upsizing wizard to
create
> the schema on SQL Server?

> This is just a thought and I have heard of others doing this.  I myself
have
> not tried it.

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

You can get a trial version of SQL Server....or get Visual Studio
Enterprise. It comes with a developer version of SQL Server.

--
Craig Berntson
Microsoft Fox MVP

Quote:
>Hi!
>I'm using VFP 3.0a and now facing to develop a new big app, and want to use
>the client server paradigm. But I wont to use local views to write the
>program and upsize later. I wish to develop the app connected to remote
>data from the first moment. As you can guess, I haven't access to the hefty
>MS SQL Server 6.5. The question is: can I find some inexpensive SQL server
>to develop my program, or should I bought a new machine to install NT 4.0
>and SQL server 6.5 (and break then my bank account heehee)?

>Thanks in advance, and best regards for all you from Argentina!

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

You can download Sybase SQL Anywhere (http://www.sybase.com).

Quote:
> Hi!
> I'm using VFP 3.0a and now facing to develop a new big app, and want to
use
> the client server paradigm. But I wont to use local views to write the
> program and upsize later. I wish to develop the app connected to remote
> data from the first moment. As you can guess, I haven't access to the
hefty
> MS SQL Server 6.5. The question is: can I find some inexpensive SQL
server
> to develop my program, or should I bought a new machine to install NT 4.0
> and SQL server 6.5 (and break then my bank account heehee)?

> Thanks in advance, and best regards for all you from Argentina!

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

Thanks for the idea. Yes, I have a legal license. But seems in Argentina
there is no local versions available, and that's means there is no upgrade
offer. Anyway, i'll contact local representatives.
Thanks for your time :-)
greeting from Argentina
Carlos

Quote:
> With a valid FP license, you're qualified to get MS Visual Studio
Enterprise
> Edition at the upgrade price.  It includes VB 5.0, VC++ 5.0, SQL Server
6.5
> Devs edition and VFP 5.0, and is probably the cheapest alternative.

> Oyvind Snibsoer

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

According to an MS system architect I spoke to several weeks ago, there is a
MS Personal SQL Server that runs under Windows 95 and NT available for free
somewhere.  It limits the number of connections to 1 apparently.  I got the
impression that a number of MS engineers use it in development.

Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

If this exists, I would love to get a copy of it.

But I don't think it does.

If you have Visual Studio Enterprise, you get a 5 - 10 (?) user license of
SQL Server 6.5.

Microsoft has not released a Personal yet, but SQL 7.0 is in beta that will
have it. I believe you can get this for free.

Quote:
> According to an MS system architect I spoke to several weeks ago, there
is a
> MS Personal SQL Server that runs under Windows 95 and NT available for
free
> somewhere.  It limits the number of connections to 1 apparently.  I got
the
> impression that a number of MS engineers use it in development.

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need for some inexpensive SQL server in the developing phase.

The specs pages I have seen on SQL Server 7.0 don't say anything about
running under Win 95/98.  The personal version still requires NT.  They
imply you'll be running NT on all you portables to make a local replicated
copy of your database...
Jerry

Quote:
> If this exists, I would love to get a copy of it.

> But I don't think it does.

> If you have Visual Studio Enterprise, you get a 5 - 10 (?) user license
of
> SQL Server 6.5.

> Microsoft has not released a Personal yet, but SQL 7.0 is in beta that
will
> have it. I believe you can get this for free.

Quote:
> > According to an MS system architect I spoke to several weeks ago, there
> is a
> > MS Personal SQL Server that runs under Windows 95 and NT available for
> free
> > somewhere.  It limits the number of connections to 1 apparently.  I got
> the
> > impression that a number of MS engineers use it in development.

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Developing on Terminal Server

2. Developing Client/Server Applications with Visual FoxPro

3. Need to compare VFP dates w/ SQL Server DateTime fields

4. VISUAL FOXPRO 7 and SQL server 2000 INFORMATION NEEDS

5. VFP on LAN - SQL server needed?

6. SQL Server migration - Need Advise!!!

7. need help with creating Client server app with Vfox 6.0 and SQL s erver

8. Need Tips on Converting VFP System from VFP Data to SQL Server

9. Do I need SQL Server?

10. Need advice developing standards

11. In Search of: "Developing Client/Server Applications With Visual Foxpro and Sql Server"

12. In serach of "Developing Client/Server Applications With Visual Foxpro and Sql Server"