FPD2.6 Network Printer Problem
Author Message
 FPD2.6 Network Printer Problem

I am operating a small(3 computers) MS network under Win98.
The Foxpro program has been operating OK up to the present when
printing to a local printer.  The program itself was without any
printer redirecton instructions.

As I required to print from another computer to the remote printer I
changed the printing instructions within the program to:
\\computername\printername=lpt1.
This had the effect of losing some of the Epson ESC/ codes and
printout losing a lot of its formatting.

When I tried to print from the computer to the local printer I got an
error message advising that the \\computername\printername=lpt1 was an
illegal redirect.  If I stepped through the "Ignore" it eventually
printed but then again lost some of the printer control codes.  These
appeared to be the codes controlling the size of the font.

Any help, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards
Charles H Davies
"Every day we learn something new - I hope"

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:09:50 GMT
 FPD2.6 Network Printer Problem
CD...
You are forcing everyone to dig into the memory banks<G>, but, if I
remember correctly, 2.x does NOT understand UNC designations, i.e.,
\\computer name instructions.

Try setting the 'default printer' at the OS level or look at SYS(1037) .
The latter function lets you (the user) select the printer.

hth

Quote:

> I am operating a small(3 computers) MS network under Win98.
> The Foxpro program has been operating OK up to the present when
> printing to a local printer.  The program itself was without any
> printer redirecton instructions.

> As I required to print from another computer to the remote printer I
> changed the printing instructions within the program to:
> \\computername\printername=lpt1.
> This had the effect of losing some of the Epson ESC/ codes and
> printout losing a lot of its formatting.

> When I tried to print from the computer to the local printer I got an
> error message advising that the \\computername\printername=lpt1 was an
> illegal redirect.  If I stepped through the "Ignore" it eventually
> printed but then again lost some of the printer control codes.  These
> appeared to be the codes controlling the size of the font.

> Any help, suggestions would be most appreciated.

> Regards
> Charles H Davies
> "Every day we learn something new - I hope"

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:10:41 GMT
 FPD2.6 Network Printer Problem
Although the book says you can send to network printers this way, I
don't think it ever worked correctly (it was iffy on early Novell
networks, and useless on Windows, IIRC).  I use printer captures in
win98 and 'set printer to'.  This gives you up to 3 printers to choose
from.

HTH

Quote:

--
Bill Browne                     Medical Claims Processing,
Excalibur                       Taft-Hartley Fund Tracking &

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:29:18 GMT
 FPD2.6 Network Printer Problem
Remember you have two things to manipulate:

- the way to get to the printer
- the codes or printer driver

As far as I know the DOS apps can only printer to a printer port, ie
lpt1, lpt2, lpt3.

You direct printing, of course, with the command

set printer to lpt2

for example.

You still have to set or select you printer definition with

set pdsetup to "printername"

The "printername has to be a printer already defined in your Foxuser
database.

So a typical program file will look something like this

set PRINTER  to LPT3
set PDSETUP to EPSONFX86

(do your printing)

set PRINTER to
set PRINTER to LPT2
eject
set PRINTER to LPT1
set PDSETUP to

Note several things:

1.  You have to set the path or port and the Printer definition

2.  After printing windows and FPD do not like to let go of a print
job, so I put in the various commands to force them to stop spooling
and to start printing.

3.  I always reset my printer to LPT1 with no PDSETUP to clear
everything.

4.  Even thought it is not obvious here, I always use the "set PRINTER
to LPTX" and the "set PDSETUP to printername" before every printing.
I never assume they are correctly set.

Now if you want to get fancy and you have a lot of printer, ie more
than 3, I can tell you a way you can use them despite the limitation
of LPT1, 2, and 3, if you are interested.

Al

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:05:44 GMT
 FPD2.6 Network Printer Problem
Thanks to all for prompt replies

Will go to work on the problem over the week end and will keep you
posted.

Regards & Happy New Year.
Charles Davies
"Every day we learn something new - I hope"

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:37:30 GMT
 FPD2.6 Network Printer Problem
Problem solved in the easiest way (picked out from one of your
suggestions)

I simply reinstalled the printer set up to MS Dos progs etc and lo and
behold everything worked without having to put the redirects back into
the program.  Printed fine from the now default printer.

Again many thanks for all inputs all of which will be going into my
"Printer File"

Regards and Happy New year to all.
Regards
Charles H Davies
"Every day we learn something new - I hope"

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:58:07 GMT

1. FPD2.6 Printing on network from .exe - the FOXUSER problem

2. Problems with FPD2.6a and New Network

3. Problem setting Network Printer in FoxPro 2.5 for DOS

4. Problem with CopyFile to PRN: for network printer

5. Network Printer problem

6. Printer capture problem of VFP5 on Novell network

7. Problem Printing to Network Printer

8. Multiple Network Printers Problem

9. FPW2.6 printing to network printer w/SET DEVICE TO PRINTER

10. How do you set printer to a network printer

11. Network Print FPD2.5

12. FPD2.5b and SET PRINTER TO COM1