Why can't I point form at different database
Author Message
 Why can't I point form at different database

Hello group.

I converted a foxpro exe from vfp3.0 to vfp 6.0 and it ran well. I put
it into preproduction on the t:\ drive ( from
c:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc to
t:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc ) and the form still access the
database on the c:\  drive.

I remove the c:\ \usfiletrack.dbc from the project and put the
t:\equivalent in its place.
I checked the forms dataenvironment and it was pointing to the old
database. I removed the form from the project and pointed its
dataenvironment to the t:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc. and the
properties of the form show that it is pointing to
t:\file..\..\uwfiletrack.dbc.

It still shows the data from the c:\ drive

What to do?

Thanks
Jim

Sat, 06 Dec 2003 04:26:56 GMT
 Why can't I point form at different database
I just had a similar problem. Not sure if this will help or not but thought
you might try it.
Remove the tables from your forms DE. Rename the folder on your c drive
where your original data is found. Then add the tables to the forms DE from
their new location. Recompile. Now see if your data is coming from the
correct source. Rename your folder back the way it was.

Quote:
> Hello group.

> I converted a foxpro exe from vfp3.0 to vfp 6.0 and it ran well. I put
> it into preproduction on the t:\ drive ( from
> c:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc to
> t:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc ) and the form still access the
> database on the c:\  drive.

> I remove the c:\ \usfiletrack.dbc from the project and put the
> t:\equivalent in its place.
> I checked the forms dataenvironment and it was pointing to the old
> database. I removed the form from the project and pointed its
> dataenvironment to the t:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc. and the
> properties of the form show that it is pointing to
> t:\file..\..\uwfiletrack.dbc.

> It still shows the data from the c:\ drive

> What to do?

> Thanks
> Jim

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 03:45:59 GMT
 Why can't I point form at different database
Hello Jim
Look at the article, placed FoxTalk:
Using Data From Different Places by Jim Booth (Jan 1999)

Quote:
> Hello group.

> I converted a foxpro exe from vfp3.0 to vfp 6.0 and it ran well. I put
> it into preproduction on the t:\ drive ( from
> c:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc to
> t:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc ) and the form still access the
> database on the c:\  drive.

> I remove the c:\ \usfiletrack.dbc from the project and put the
> t:\equivalent in its place.
> I checked the forms dataenvironment and it was pointing to the old
> database. I removed the form from the project and pointed its
> dataenvironment to the t:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc. and the
> properties of the form show that it is pointing to
> t:\file..\..\uwfiletrack.dbc.

> It still shows the data from the c:\ drive

> What to do?

> Thanks
> Jim

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:05:22 GMT
 Why can't I point form at different database

Quote:

> and the properties of the form show that it is pointing to
> t:\file..\..\uwfiletrack.dbc.

> It still shows the data from the c:\ drive

> What to do?

It's because the database is named in the form, so it's nothing to do
with the database container.
As is being talked about over in "Dbc", you can set you forms up so you
can reset this property at runtime, which is pretty neat and leads on to
other benefits.
As is not being talked about over there you can kludge it by moving the
data on the c drive so it isn't where the form thinks it is and making
sure there's no path reference to where it *is*, and making an entry in
the Foxpro path.  The form will still look for it on the C drive, but
not being able to find it it will start using it's paths and then will
find the one you want on the T drive.

The form holding this explicit reference is not one of the greatest bits
of programming, IMNVHO.

Mark
-If more of us acted more sensibly,
d'you think Governments might join in?

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:54:45 GMT
 Why can't I point form at different database
I agree!!
Thanks
Jim
Quote:

> <snip>

> The form holding this explicit reference is not one of the greatest bits
> of programming, IMNVHO.

> Mark
> -If more of us acted more sensibly,
> d'you think Governments might join in?

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:24:09 GMT
 Why can't I point form at different database
Read more here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q160/9/16.asp

--
Eric den Doop
www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts

Quote:
> Hello group.

> I converted a foxpro exe from vfp3.0 to vfp 6.0 and it ran well. I put
> it into preproduction on the t:\ drive ( from
> c:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc to
> t:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc ) and the form still access the
> database on the c:\  drive.

> I remove the c:\ \usfiletrack.dbc from the project and put the
> t:\equivalent in its place.
> I checked the forms dataenvironment and it was pointing to the old
> database. I removed the form from the project and pointed its
> dataenvironment to the t:\filetrac\database\uwfiletrack.dbc. and the
> properties of the form show that it is pointing to
> t:\file..\..\uwfiletrack.dbc.

> It still shows the data from the c:\ drive

> What to do?

> Thanks
> Jim

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 05:28:50 GMT

1. Changing one form's properties from a different form

2. Different screen size on different syste...Why?

3. why different printers have different outpage?

4. VFP 6.0 Why Doesn't Requery Work with ODBC to Access Database

5. Multi User, pointing data to a different directory

6. FoxPro 'Report' to Power Point

7. Why won't my menu appear on my main form

8. Why doesn't my Form Refresh ?

9. Why won't my form release

10. A different question on 'paths'

11. Help - Don't want Database path stored in form

12. What's the point with MENUTOOL.PRG???