Comctl32.ocx crashing application
Author Message
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application

Clients running my VFP 5 application are encountering an error when
starting the application which causes it to totally crash. We've traced
the problem to the comctl32.ocx file.  Clients with comctl32.ocx
version 1.0.2908 work fine, but anyone with a newer version of this
file encounters the problem. A lot of the common applications our users
are installing update comctl32.ocx to version 5.00.3828 or 6.00.8022 so
we are experiencing great numbers of these errors. The only fix we know
of is to unregister the newer version, and re-register the old version
of the ocx. Is there a better way to accomplish this? We don't know
what other applications we might be effecting by reverting to an older
version of the control.

Thanks in advance,

Jon Moorhead
Arizona State University

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 27 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application
Can't you just start using the latest version in your app.?

We've had OCX version issues in the past and it seems the only way to go is
get the latest version and distribute that with your app.

--
William Fields
US Bankruptcy Court

Quote:

> Clients running my VFP 5 application are encountering an error when
> starting the application which causes it to totally crash. We've traced
> the problem to the comctl32.ocx file.  Clients with comctl32.ocx
> version 1.0.2908 work fine, but anyone with a newer version of this
> file encounters the problem. A lot of the common applications our users
> are installing update comctl32.ocx to version 5.00.3828 or 6.00.8022 so
> we are experiencing great numbers of these errors. The only fix we know
> of is to unregister the newer version, and re-register the old version
> of the ocx. Is there a better way to accomplish this? We don't know
> what other applications we might be effecting by reverting to an older
> version of the control.

> Thanks in advance,

> Jon Moorhead
> Arizona State University

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sat, 27 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application
Jon,

COMCTL32.OCX is on the Microsoft "Never Distribute" list. This file is OS
dependant. It will already be installed on any Windows system. Replacing
this file with an incompatible version can completely trash the operating
system.

For a list of distributable files, see the REDIST folder on the Visual
Studio CD.

David Dunetz
SweetWARE

Quote:

> Clients running my VFP 5 application are encountering an error when
> starting the application which causes it to totally crash. We've traced
> the problem to the comctl32.ocx file.  Clients with comctl32.ocx
> version 1.0.2908 work fine, but anyone with a newer version of this
> file encounters the problem. A lot of the common applications our users
> are installing update comctl32.ocx to version 5.00.3828 or 6.00.8022 so
> we are experiencing great numbers of these errors. The only fix we know
> of is to unregister the newer version, and re-register the old version
> of the ocx. Is there a better way to accomplish this? We don't know
> what other applications we might be effecting by reverting to an older
> version of the control.

> Thanks in advance,

> Jon Moorhead
> Arizona State University

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sat, 27 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application
David, I do use COMCTL32.ocx and re-distribute it. I did check and
re-checked that this file is in the REDLIST.txt file as a distributable
file. It is there, is there somthing I missed ?

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application
Gene,

Check MS Knowledgebase articles Q186176, Q221836 and Wise Technologies
Knowledgebase article 244761.

Attempting to redistribute COMCTL32.OCX has had disastrous results for us on
more than one occasion.

David Dunetz
SweetWARE

Quote:
> David, I do use COMCTL32.ocx and re-distribute it. I did check and
> re-checked that this file is in the REDLIST.txt file as a distributable
> file. It is there, is there somthing I missed ?

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application
Gene,

My apologies. Apparently my memory was a little fuzzy. The difficulty is
with distributing the DLLs that underly the OCXs. Both COMCTL32.DLL and
COMDLG32.DLL are the files that it is a no-no to distribute.

David Dunetz
SweetWARE

Quote:
> David, I do use COMCTL32.ocx and re-distribute it. I did check and
> re-checked that this file is in the REDLIST.txt file as a distributable
> file. It is there, is there somthing I missed ?

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application
What we found is that the problem was not with the ocx file at all, but
the fact that the comctl32 ocx and dll were not in sync. We ran
50comupd.exe downloaded from Microsoft's sight to install the correct
version of the dll.  This allowed the application to work with the ocx
versions 5 and above without a problem.

Thanks to everyone for their input,

Jon Moorhead
ASU West

Quote:
> Can't you just start using the latest version in your app.?

> We've had OCX version issues in the past and it seems the only way to
go is
> get the latest version and distribute that with your app.

> --
> William Fields
> US Bankruptcy Court
> Phoenix, AZ

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application
Interesting, I haven't heard of 50comupd.exe, what's the URL for the
download?

Also, what .DLL was causing the problem.

--
William Fields
US Bankruptcy Court

Quote:

> What we found is that the problem was not with the ocx file at all, but
> the fact that the comctl32 ocx and dll were not in sync. We ran
> 50comupd.exe downloaded from Microsoft's sight to install the correct
> version of the dll.  This allowed the application to work with the ocx
> versions 5 and above without a problem.

> Thanks to everyone for their input,

> Jon Moorhead
> ASU West

> > Can't you just start using the latest version in your app.?

> > We've had OCX version issues in the past and it seems the only way to
> go is
> > get the latest version and distribute that with your app.

> > --
> > William Fields
> > US Bankruptcy Court
> > Phoenix, AZ

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Comctl32.ocx crashing application
Bill, Check out Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q186176 at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q186/1/76.ASP
The 50comupd.exe will update comctl32.dll to the appropriate version.

Jon Moorhead

Quote:
> Interesting, I haven't heard of 50comupd.exe, what's the URL for the
> download?

> Also, what .DLL was causing the problem.

> --
> William Fields
> US Bankruptcy Court
> Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
> > What we found is that the problem was not with the ocx file at all,
but
> > the fact that the comctl32 ocx and dll were not in sync. We ran
> > 50comupd.exe downloaded from Microsoft's sight to install the
correct
> > version of the dll.  This allowed the application to work with the
ocx
> > versions 5 and above without a problem.

> > Thanks to everyone for their input,

> > Jon Moorhead
> > ASU West

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 02 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. AcriveX troubleshooting for VFP 5.0 (comctl32.ocx and richtx32.ocx)

2. TreeView/ComCtl32.ocx

3. Comctl32.ocx version 5.01.4319 problem

4. comctl32.ocx etc...

5. comctl32.ocx

6. I can't get comctl32.ocx to install

7. COMCTL32.OCX Woes - Help Please

8. COMCTL32.OCX not registering using SETUP.EXE

9. Problem with COMCTL32.OCX

10. ListView / ComCtl32.ocx - Problems with SP2

11. ImageList - COMCTL32.OCX

12. comctl32.ocx