report bands
Author Message
 report bands

Getting error message "detail band too large to fit on
page." Can fix it by moving the band up but I need to fit
more stuff in the report. It was my understanding that the
bands autofit, but I can't figure out how to keep adding
stuff with out getting the error message.

Fri, 10 Dec 2004 03:36:29 GMT
 report bands
When you are in design mode the max size of the detail band is related to
your default printer settings.  If you want to add more stuff, make your
text fields only one row high and then check the "Stretch with Overflow" in
the properties.  Also, make sure any text fields under that one are set to
"Float"

Cory

Quote:
> Getting error message "detail band too large to fit on
> page." Can fix it by moving the band up but I need to fit
> more stuff in the report. It was my understanding that the
> bands autofit, but I can't figure out how to keep adding
> stuff with out getting the error message.

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:10:11 GMT
 report bands
Keeping fields to one line and setting Stretch, Overflow,
and Float permits more items to be added to the detail
band but why is there a limit? It was my understanding
that the detail band autofits, perhaps adding more pages
as needed, but I can't figure out how to keep adding items
with out getting "detail band too large to fit on page."
Am I missing something?

Quote:

Sat, 18 Dec 2004 07:23:47 GMT
 report bands
It does not 'auto fit' that I am aware of.  If you have a group and the
detail for more than one item in that group won't fit on the page, then it
will automatically move that detail band to the next page.  To see how
Foxpro responds to different printer setting, in Report Design mode, go to
File and Page Setup.  There is a graphic representation of your page layout.
Try changing the paper size in Print Setup... and you will see that it
adjusts the size/shape of your page layout based on the printer settings.

Cory

Quote:
> Keeping fields to one line and setting Stretch, Overflow,
> and Float permits more items to be added to the detail
> band but why is there a limit? It was my understanding
> that the detail band autofits, perhaps adding more pages
> as needed, but I can't figure out how to keep adding items
> with out getting "detail band too large to fit on page."
> Am I missing something?

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:23:10 GMT
 report bands
Perhaps I am missing the point. Page setup lets me change
the width, left margin, number of columns, etc. Can't make
it any bigger. I already have the detail band filled with
fields and text. Can't fit any more without dragging the
detail band down. But this causes the "detail band too
large to fit on page" error. What I meant by autofit was
the adding of pages as necessary. It actually does go to
two pages if some of my fields stretch, but I really need
to add more fields. It would be odd if the report was
limited to one page of fields, but not one page of output.
It would be odd if there was any unreasonable limit to the
number of pages. What am I missing?
JackN

Quote:

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:54:19 GMT
 report bands

Quote:
> I already have the detail band filled with
> fields and text. Can't fit any more without dragging the
> detail band down. But this causes the "detail band too
> large to fit on page" error. What I meant by autofit was
> the adding of pages as necessary. It actually does go to
> two pages if some of my fields stretch, but I really need
> to add more fields.

The resolution of this problem is as follows:
Jack's report was an ophthalmologist's medical notes, with a lot of memo
fields and a diagram in the middle. The notes for one patient (one record)
could span several pages. The problem occurred because of the way the FoxPro
report writer "floats" fields, which does not always keep things together
the way you want. The problem was solved by creating 4 "groups" on RECNO()
and putting groups of fields that should stay together in the successive
group headers, detail and group footers. After that it looked beautiful.

Many thanks to Cathy Pountney, and everyone should buy and read her book,
"The Visual FoxPro Report Writer: Pushing it to the Limits and Beyond" from
http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalogavailability/vfprw.htm .

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:50:42 GMT
 report bands
I thought that I had posted this to you, whilst at a friends machine.

Anyway here is the request again.