Loads of Data, Form Load Speed Q.
Author Message
 Loads of Data, Form Load Speed Q.

What steps do I need to have in place to insure that I am loading a form as
fast as possible? Data Environment settings, buffering, index
orders,...etc...

I have a form that the table has 15,000 - 50,000 records in the table. Some
clients are complaining of speed (not many, but some) of the loading of the
form.

TIA,
George M*

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:35:23 GMT
 Loads of Data, Form Load Speed Q.

Quote:
> What steps do I need to have in place to insure that I am loading a form
as
> fast as possible? Data Environment settings, buffering, index
> orders,...etc...

> I have a form that the table has 15,000 - 50,000 records in the table.
Some
> clients are complaining of speed (not many, but some) of the loading of
the
> form.

> TIA,
> George M*

Lets start with the available memory, network adapter speed, network speed,
fileserver etc. If there are only some clients complaining, i'd look there
first.

--
Eric den Doop
www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 23:01:05 GMT
 Loads of Data, Form Load Speed Q.
    Hi!
    "Chapter 15: Optimizing applications" of programmer's guide
can help your.

Alexander.

Quote:
> What steps do I need to have in place to insure that I am loading a form
as
> fast as possible? Data Environment settings, buffering, index
> orders,...etc...

> I have a form that the table has 15,000 - 50,000 records in the table.
Some
> clients are complaining of speed (not many, but some) of the loading of
the
> form.

> TIA,
> George M*

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 23:18:49 GMT
 Loads of Data, Form Load Speed Q.

Quote:
>I have a form that the table has 15,000 - 50,000 records in the table. Some
>clients are complaining of speed (not many, but some) of the loading of the
>form.

George,

One of the things I have designed into my applications is a user preference
form.  One of the options on that form is an option to set a maximum number of
records retreived.  On forms that have the potential to take a long time to
load, I load the data in smaller chunks (depending on the user's preference
setting) and display a "More" button under the list and a label reading
something like "1-1000 of 10,000 records displayed."

Users that want to see all the data at once regardless of how long it takes set
their preference that way, users that want a quicker reaction from the form set
the maximum to 500 - 1000 records and press the More button until the record
they're looking for is in the list.

David B. Cass
U.S. Navy, FISC Norfolk, VA

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 23:26:37 GMT
 Loads of Data, Form Load Speed Q.
http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~BigSystemPerformanceAndVisualFoxPro~VFP
http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~FormLoadTime~VFP
http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~KnowledgeBaseWatch~softwareEng
http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~VFPMisusedAndAbused~VFP

--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro

"While the Complexity of this Project is
several orders of magnitude less than
modeling heat flux in a fossil-fuel fired
electric utility plant using the Hottel Zone
technique, the context of each project
evolves in a remarkably similar fashion."
- Author Unknown

Quote:
> What steps do I need to have in place to insure that I am loading a form
as
> fast as possible? Data Environment settings, buffering, index
> orders,...etc...

> I have a form that the table has 15,000 - 50,000 records in the table.
Some
> clients are complaining of speed (not many, but some) of the loading of
the
> form.

> TIA,
> George M*

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 00:03:23 GMT

1. Help! Speed of form loading in VFP5

3. Suspending data load via form

4. Don't show record data when loads form

5. Combo Box Loading Speed

6. VFP3.0 Form-designer form load problem

7. How to cancel a Raw ASCII data load

8. Remote View Data Loading is Slow (all records!)

9. Data environment Table loading problem

12. How to load data into MS Flex Grid