Differences between Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.6 for DOS & Windows
Author Message
 Differences between Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.6 for DOS & Windows

I am not a professional programmer.

I run a music store and have developed a rather elaborate set of programs in
Foxpro 2.0 over the past 10 years which run my business.  I want scalable fonts
now in my printed reports, and have been told that this version does not
support mutiple type sizes in my journals, billings etc.

I do not use any of the power tools.  All of my programming is highly
specialized to musical instruments and the logic of the progran is what counts.
 All I use to create a screen is simple say and get commands and individually
issued color control statements.

I purchased 2.6 for windows but it is totally foreign.  It was avdertised as
being backward compatible, but the color commands produce totally unwanted
results, and the fonts are so very different from 2.0 that it virtually
destroys the usefulness of my programs, since most of what we do is interact
with the screen, not produce printed reports.

Is it possible to get the windows version to look "right"?  I suspect not.

I suspect that I need to buy a DOS version.

I want to be sure of several facts before I waste any more money.  Will 2.5 or
2.6  for DOS look like my 2.0 in terms of colors and font?   Will 2.5 or 2.6
support different fonts and type sizes?  Will 2.5 or 2.6 run on my novell LAN
or is there a special version required as there was with 2.0?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Michelsen

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:31:56 GMT
 Differences between Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.6 for DOS & Windows
This still leaves one of my questions unanswered.  I want to know about mutiple
type sizes in my PRINTED output which is the only reason I wanted to step up a
version in the first place.

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:13:52 GMT
 Differences between Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.6 for DOS & Windows
How about keeping your DOS apps for user interaction by move the reports to
FoxPro for Windows?
-Anders

Quote:
> This still leaves one of my questions unanswered.  I want to know about
mutiple
> type sizes in my PRINTED output which is the only reason I wanted to step
up a
> version in the first place.

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:32:40 GMT
 Differences between Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.6 for DOS & Windows
FPD2.6 can do some form of proportional fonts.  Unfortunately, you are
limited to CG TIMES (TIMES ROMAN) and UNIVERS (HELVETICA OR ARIAL) with HP
printers.  In other words, it is limited and depending on the printer,
COURIER may still be the only choice.  It is also more difficult to lay out
a report since the report power tool is still a character mode tool.  The
only way to invoke these fonts is with the correct printer driver set up in

SAY command is ignored in FPD.  And finally, when you issue the REPORT FORM
command you must include the PDSETUP keyword in the command.  I cannot tell
you how long it took me to realize that printer drivers are just a figment
of your imagination without this option.

Quote:
> This still leaves one of my questions unanswered.  I want to know about
mutiple
> type sizes in my PRINTED output which is the only reason I wanted to step
up a
> version in the first place.

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:46:21 GMT
 Differences between Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.6 for DOS & Windows
There is no difference in the reports in FP 2.5 or 2.6 for DOS.  Having
different fonts is a matter of the printer and printer driver.  If you know
your printer supports different font sizes, then modify your driver to
include the codes for the sizes you want to use.

--
Cy Welch
89 RS 5.0 TBI, its not fast, but its still fun.

Quote:
> This still leaves one of my questions unanswered.  I want to know about
mutiple
> type sizes in my PRINTED output which is the only reason I wanted to step
up a
> version in the first place.

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:57:12 GMT
 Differences between Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.6 for DOS & Windows

Quote:

>>> This still leaves one of my questions unanswered.  I want to know
>>>about mutiple type sizes in my PRINTED output which is the only reason
>>>I wanted to step up a version in the first place.

>And how are you wanting to achieve these multiple type sizes?  Using
>printer drivers?  Since FPD 2.0 offers the same basic printer driver
>functionality as FPD 2.6, I'd say the upgrade won't help you, unless
>there are some more current printer drivers in 2.6.

>BTW, I usually hard code my reports in FPD when I want fancy fonts.
>It's a lot of work though, but the output is nice.

One more way to create a fancy report in FPD is to use report template from a
word processor.  Say, you want a report with a white-on-black header, and all
your data in some fancy font bold.  Create a document in your favorite word
processor, substituting a unique character combination with ID for any data (I
use #nnn, where nnn is a key reference to a table of data substitutions).  Print
this document to a file (template).  Now a program to print the report may look
like this (pseudo-code):

read a page of the template file into m.TEMPL
nn = AT("#",m.TEMPL)   && position of the first "#" in m.TEMPL
DO WHILE nn > 0
  write SUBSTR(m.TEMPL,1,nn-1) to output file
  m.TEMPL = SUBSTR(m.TEMPL,nn+1)
  IF LEFT(m.TEMPL,3) are digits
    m.key = LEFT(m.TEMPL,3)
    m.TEMPL = SUBSTR(m.TEMPL,4)
    m.var = whatever is in reference table with the key
    write EVAL(m.var) to output file
  ENDIF
  nn = AT("#",m.TEMPL)
ENDDO WHILE

After that just print output file:
COPY output_file TO PRN

--
[ When replying, remove *'s from address ]
Alexandre Pechtchanski, Systems Manager, RUH, NY

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 04:17:13 GMT

1. WTB: Foxbase+, FoxPro 1.0 for Win, FoxPro 2.0 for DOS, FoxPro 2.6 DOS/Win

2. Foxpro 2.0 (DOS), DOS 6.22, & Windows 3.1

3. Foxpro 2.0 LAN and 2.6 for DOS - Help for Windows 3.1 PIF settings

4. Problem with reports made in Foxpro 2.0 DOS runnning under FPW 2.6 and Windows 95

5. Transporting from FoxPro 2.6/DOS to FoxPro 2.6/WINDOWS

6. Buy FoxPro 2.6 DOS & Windows

7. FoxPro for Dos 2.6 & Windows 2000

8. Can Foxpro 2.0 (yes, 2.0 - for Dos and Win 3) be converted to Visual Foxpro

9. Foxpro 2.5 Dos and Foxpro 2.6 Windows

10. DOS Windows in Foxpro 2.6 for Windows

11. DOS Windows in Foxpro 2.6 for Windows

12. Foxpro 2.6 for Windows & Windows 95