SQL Select & Table Buffering
Author Message
 SQL Select & Table Buffering

I have discovered that SQL Select statements seem to get data from the
"stored" table, not the buffered table when table buffering is on and
before a table update has been executed.  For example, I have two forms,
both can be active, one sets up the data and the other graphs it.  If I
change the data on the setup screen but do not commit it, the select
statement feeding the graph does not get the changed data on the setup
screen.

If I use the de{*filter*}, the data "appears" to be changed in the table
buffer but because it has not been committed, the select statement gets
the old data.

Is there a way to use the select statement so that it graps the buffered
data?

--

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
Office (250) 746-0855

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Select & Table Buffering
Christopher,

You are correct in that SQL Select uses only committed data.  You
would have to use COPY TO or SCAN .. ENDSCAN or some other
methodology to get buffered uncommitted data.  Remember up till the
time the data is committed it is not actually permanent/production data.

-myron kirby-
Independent Consultant

===========================

Quote:

>I have discovered that SQL Select statements seem to get data from the
>"stored" table, not the buffered table when table buffering is on and
>before a table update has been executed.  For example, I have two forms,
>both can be active, one sets up the data and the other graphs it.  If I
>change the data on the setup screen but do not commit it, the select
>statement feeding the graph does not get the changed data on the setup
>screen.

>If I use the de{*filter*}, the data "appears" to be changed in the table
>buffer but because it has not been committed, the select statement gets
>the old data.

>Is there a way to use the select statement so that it graps the buffered
>data?

>--

>Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
>Office (250) 746-0855
>Office (250) 982-8631
>Fax    (604) 552-0713

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Select & Table Buffering
Christopher
While SELECT reads the disk, COPY TO table, and COPY TO ARRAY array, does
read the buffered data.
-Anders
Quote:

>I have discovered that SQL Select statements seem to get data from the
>"stored" table, not the buffered table when table buffering is on and
>before a table update has been executed.  For example, I have two forms,
>both can be active, one sets up the data and the other graphs it.  If I
>change the data on the setup screen but do not commit it, the select
>statement feeding the graph does not get the changed data on the setup
>screen.

>If I use the de{*filter*}, the data "appears" to be changed in the table
>buffer but because it has not been committed, the select statement gets
>the old data.

>Is there a way to use the select statement so that it graps the buffered
>data?

>--

>Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
>Office (250) 746-0855
>Office (250) 982-8631
>Fax    (604) 552-0713

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. SQL-Select on buffered tables

2. Problem with Select SQL and table buffering

3. Problem with Select SQL and table buffering

4. SQL-Select from table-buffered cursor

5. How can you SQL select buffered tables

6. How can you SQL Select buffered tables

7. SQL Select from Buffered Table

8. Table buffering and SQL SELECT and DE

9. Update SQL On Buffer Mode Override = Optimistic Table Buffering

10. - How to SELECT from table buffered view without issuing TABLEUPDATE

11. SELECT from a view with table buffering question

12. SELECT on buffered tables