Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP
Author Message
 Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP

I have still got some old FOX 2.6 for DOS applications. However now thast I
have installed WINDOWS XP I get the most extraordinary characters when I
press any key. What's wrong?

Shmiel

Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:47:01 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP
Shmiel,
I've been running FPD on XP since October, and other than some intial
configuration "problems", it seems to work just fine. Was your XP install an
upgrade, or a new install?. Have you ever configured FPD for NT or 2000?
What exactly seems to be the problem - "extraordinary" characters isn't real
useful (although descriptive).

Rick

Quote:
> I have still got some old FOX 2.6 for DOS applications. However now thast
> have installed WINDOWS XP I get the most extraordinary characters when I
> press any key. What's wrong?

> Shmiel

Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:11:58 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP
could you elaborate? Does it have more to do with the speed of CPU than
the OS?

WinXP has a new property for DOS apps (compatiblity). Right cilck it and
check it out.

Quote:

--
may the force, the farce and linux be with you.

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:24:22 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP
Hello Shmiel,

Quote:

> WinXP has a new property for DOS apps (compatiblity). Right cilck it and
> check it out.

It seems that we had the same problem with our DOS FoxPro application,
CPU usage constant 100%.
I wrote an little DOS-TSR which resolve this problem. The
CPU consumtion slow down to 1%. Start the TSR in the same NTVDM
before your application.

Because the TSR is very small I append it as UUENCODE.
I hope it also works for you.

Copyright notice:

All copyrights by me.
The TSR is freeware. So feel free to share it with others.

bye, Frank

== Start of uuencode ========================================
begin 0666 dosidle.com

`
end
== End of uuencode ==========================================

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:05:08 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP
Thanx Frank

However I don't know how and when to use the TSR.

Please tell me what to do.

Shmiel

Quote:

----

> == End of uuencode ==========================================

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:27:03 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP
Hi Shmiel,

Quote:
> However I don't know how and when to use the TSR.
> Please tell me what to do.

When you use an DOS application under Windows NT / W2K / XP, then the
CPU usage climbs up to 100%. When you load the TSR before your DOS
application, the CPU usage stands by nearly 1%.

sample:
- open an DOS session (use COMMAND instead of CMD)
- start dosidle
- start your_DOS_application

kindly regards
Frank

PS: If you need more help about this, feel free to send an email.

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:41:39 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP
Hi Frank,
Thank you for the DOSIdle.Exe
It works as you said. The only thing is in my case ntvdm.exe still takes
anywhere from 31 to 65%, which is way better than 100%  :)). I loaded
dosidle.exe as the last line in autoexec.nt (lh dosidle.exe). Can you advise
me on how can I get your results with it, 1% utilization?
The program I'm testing it on is nc.exe (Norton Commander for DOS) in the
screen saver mode. If it runs not in the screen saver mode utilization
fluctuates from 0 to 10%.
Thank you,
Vladimir Mikhelson

Quote:

----

> == End of uuencode ==========================================

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:26:29 GMT

1. Transporting from FoxPro 2.6/DOS to FoxPro 2.6/WINDOWS

2. FoxPro 2.6 for DOS under XP?

3. DOS Windows in Foxpro 2.6 for Windows

4. DOS Windows in Foxpro 2.6 for Windows

5. foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP

6. FOXPRO 2.6 PRINTING IN WINDOWS XP

7. Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP

8. Foxpro 2.6 does not run in Windows XP

9. Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP?

10. Foxpro 2.5 Dos and Foxpro 2.6 Windows

11. WTB: Foxbase+, FoxPro 1.0 for Win, FoxPro 2.0 for DOS, FoxPro 2.6 DOS/Win

12. Migrating Foxpro 2.5 from Novell 3.2 to a windows 200 server environment on windows XP