HL7 file format
Author Message
 HL7 file format

Anyone familiar with the HL7 file format. We need to
create an HL7 file from our patient's demographics
database and can't really seem to find what the exact
format of this file is.

Thanks
Wally

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:43:14 GMT
 HL7 file format
Wally,
It's not listed at http://www.wotsit.org/  or http://www.filext.com/. You'll need to provide (or
get) more information on the application that creates it. Remember, sometimes people will just
change the extension to "confuse" others. I've got a "DBF" that has an .JPG extension!

Rick

Quote:
> Anyone familiar with the HL7 file format. We need to
> create an HL7 file from our patient's demographics
> database and can't really seem to find what the exact
> format of this file is.

> Thanks
> Wally

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:48:12 GMT
 HL7 file format
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:43:14 -0800, "Walter Graff"

Quote:

>Anyone familiar with the HL7 file format. We need to
>create an HL7 file from our patient's demographics
>database and can't really seem to find what the exact
>format of this file is.

>Thanks
>Wally

Check this out. If they don't have what you want, maybe they can help you
further.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/KVeil/

Alan

My real address is alan at attcanada dot ca
(with a 'p' on 'alan' making it 'alanp',
and no spaces). I'm sick of email spam.

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:55:01 GMT
 HL7 file format
Walter:

I think it is just HL7's naming convention.  I beleieve the file is Access
97 format, or, possibly in Excel format.

Boyd

Quote:
> Anyone familiar with the HL7 file format. We need to
> create an HL7 file from our patient's demographics
> database and can't really seem to find what the exact
> format of this file is.

> Thanks
> Wally

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:09:50 GMT
 HL7 file format
HL7 is a developing standard for the electronic interchange of medical
information, a kind of medical EDI. http://www.hl7.org/ contains information
on the standard.

HTH

JL

Quote:
> Anyone familiar with the HL7 file format. We need to
> create an HL7 file from our patient's demographics
> database and can't really seem to find what the exact
> format of this file is.

> Thanks
> Wally

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:20:51 GMT
 HL7 file format
I should clarify what I am looking for. I need to create
an HL7 file. And what I really need to find out is
the "record layout" of this file.

Thank you,
Walter Graff

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:06:11 GMT
 HL7 file format

Quote:
> I should clarify what I am looking for. I need to create
> an HL7 file. And what I really need to find out is
> the "record layout" of this file.

> Thank you,
> Walter Graff

The HL7 message used for Patient Demographics is called "BAR" message
(Billing Account Report).  Every HL7 message is made up of a series of
messages.  The following messages are contained within a BAR message:

  MSH -- Message Header
  EVN -- Event message
  PID -- Patient information data
  PV1 -- Patient visit data
  GT1 -- Guarantor information
  NK1 -- Next of Kin information
  IN1 -- Insurance information
The EVN message contains an event (P01 for a new account or changed account
number; P05 for edited or changed demographic data) .  Every message
contains various fields bracked with |  | characters (or pipes).  It is too
complicated to describe in an email.  There are often multiple values within
a field  such as  with FIRST, LAST and MIDDLE INITIAL.  There are special
characters for this purpose.

I have had a great deal of experience with writing HL7 messages.  I have
working programs which talk to "MOMS", "PACS" and "TALK" technology.  If you
need someone to help you find your way through the muck and mire, I am
available as a consultant on an hourly basis.  The main problem you will
have is matching your database fields to those required by the Broker.  The
Broker can tell you what data you need.  The are hundreds of fields in an
HL7 message, however only a small percentage are required.  These are
defined by the Broker.  The other fields, which are not used, still have to
be included in the form of empty pipes (as I indicated above),  Here is an
example of an MSH message:
MSH|^~\&|RADXYZ|QAH|BROKER|QAH|20021229235625||ORU^R01|DTI02122986185271|P|2
.3||||||||

--E. Myron

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:30:36 GMT

1. VFP and HL7

2. FoxPro File Format

3. store chr(0) in database or microsoft binary file format

4. A simple question about DBF file format

5. Reading dBase formatted database files from C

6. What's the format of *.DBT files?

7. Q: Report to file in ASCII format???

8. specs on .dbf and .fpt file formats?

9. VFP report file format (internal)

10. Copying PCL formatted report files to a printer.....

11. Converting Flat Files into *.DBF Format

12. Text file in Landscape format