Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT
Author Message
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT

Hello,

I have a very strange problem.

I often use SWPRUNCMD() which is a command coming from Blinker 5.1.

I usually use this in combination with PKZIP and PKUNZIP.

My source looks like :

LOCAL PATHNAME := C:\TEMP
LOCAL SWPMEM    := SAVESCREEN(0,0,MAWROW(),79)    // to be able to restore
my screen after PKZIP

SWPRUNCMD("PKZIP.EXE -R -P -&W A:\TEST *.*",0,"",TRIM(PATHNAME))

RESTSCREEN(0,0,MAXROW(),79,SWPMEM)                          // restoring the
screen after PKZIP

But in Windows NT, I always got the error in a window called "MS-DOS 16-bit
SUBSYSTEM" which says :

"X#OD   CS=01BF   IP=00008CDE
The NTVDM CPU has found a unhandled exception."

after which my program is quited completely.

I use SWPRUNCMD to start other programs, as well as Clipper-programs as
programs like MS-Word, WordPerfect, ..., without any problem. Only with the
PKZIP and PKUNZIP the problem appears.

Does anyone have a solution ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Michel Driessen
Genk (Belgium)

Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT

Quote:

> I often use SWPRUNCMD() which is a command coming from Blinker 5.1.

> I usually use this in combination with PKZIP and PKUNZIP.

We had a similar problem, but it disappeared when we changed to the 32 bit
version of PKZIP.

Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT

Quote:
> SWPRUNCMD("PKZIP.EXE -R -P -&W A:\TEST *.*",0,"",TRIM(PATHNAME))

Like Martin Scott, we also had this problem. Apparently NT doesn't like
some of the parameters being passed to pkzip. We replaced all our Pkzip
calls with WinZip.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT
Michel,

I had the exact same problem.  All you have to do is disable 32-bit
instructions using PKZIP's "-3" option and it will work fine.

Regards,
Dave Holden
Holden Consulting, Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have a very strange problem.

> I often use SWPRUNCMD() which is a command coming from Blinker 5.1.

> I usually use this in combination with PKZIP and PKUNZIP.

> My source looks like :

> LOCAL PATHNAME := C:\TEMP
> LOCAL SWPMEM    := SAVESCREEN(0,0,MAWROW(),79)    // to be able to restore
> my screen after PKZIP

> SWPRUNCMD("PKZIP.EXE -R -P -&W A:\TEST *.*",0,"",TRIM(PATHNAME))

> RESTSCREEN(0,0,MAXROW(),79,SWPMEM)                          // restoring
the
> screen after PKZIP

> But in Windows NT, I always got the error in a window called "MS-DOS
16-bit
> SUBSYSTEM" which says :

> "X#OD   CS=01BF   IP=00008CDE
> The NTVDM CPU has found a unhandled exception."

> after which my program is quited completely.

> I use SWPRUNCMD to start other programs, as well as Clipper-programs as
> programs like MS-Word, WordPerfect, ..., without any problem. Only with
the
> PKZIP and PKUNZIP the problem appears.

> Does anyone have a solution ?

> Thank you very much in advance.

> Michel Driessen
> Genk (Belgium)

Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT
Thanks for your reaction.

But can you tell me it is possible to do a call to WINZIP from a Clipper
application ?

Thanks.

Michel Driessen
Genk (Belgium)

Quote:

> > SWPRUNCMD("PKZIP.EXE -R -P -&W A:\TEST *.*",0,"",TRIM(PATHNAME))

> Like Martin Scott, we also had this problem. Apparently NT doesn't like
> some of the parameters being passed to pkzip. We replaced all our Pkzip
> calls with WinZip.

Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT
Yes it is possible.  Call it the same way that you would call a DOS program.

Dave Holden
Holden Consulting, Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Quote:
> Thanks for your reaction.

> But can you tell me it is possible to do a call to WINZIP from a Clipper
> application ?

> Thanks.

> Michel Driessen
> Genk (Belgium)

> > > SWPRUNCMD("PKZIP.EXE -R -P -&W A:\TEST *.*",0,"",TRIM(PATHNAME))

> > Like Martin Scott, we also had this problem. Apparently NT doesn't like
> > some of the parameters being passed to pkzip. We replaced all our Pkzip
> > calls with WinZip.

Sat, 02 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT

Quote:
> Thanks for your reaction.

> But can you tell me it is possible to do a call to WINZIP from a
Clipper
> application ?

Yes, as long as the MS-DOS Advanced Properties does not have "Prevent
MS-DOS based programs from detecting Windows" checked, you can run most
any Windows program from DOS. But, I like Dave's idea better about
adding the -3 parameter to your existing Pkzip calls.

Scott

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 02 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT
Dave,

I have the same error occuring several times a day when running an ordinary
protected mode Clipper 5.2e application under NT (Blinker 5.1). Can you
explain what exactely "disable 32-bit instructions" means?

Regards,
Erik

Dave Holden skrev i meddelelsen ...

Quote:
>Michel,

>I had the exact same problem.  All you have to do is disable 32-bit
>instructions using PKZIP's "-3" option and it will work fine.

>Regards,
>Dave Holden
>Holden Consulting, Abbotsford, BC, Canada

>> Hello,

>> I have a very strange problem.

>> I often use SWPRUNCMD() which is a command coming from Blinker 5.1.

>> I usually use this in combination with PKZIP and PKUNZIP.

>> My source looks like :

>> LOCAL PATHNAME := C:\TEMP
>> LOCAL SWPMEM    := SAVESCREEN(0,0,MAWROW(),79)    // to be able to
restore
>> my screen after PKZIP

>> SWPRUNCMD("PKZIP.EXE -R -P -&W A:\TEST *.*",0,"",TRIM(PATHNAME))

>> RESTSCREEN(0,0,MAXROW(),79,SWPMEM)                          // restoring
>the
>> screen after PKZIP

>> But in Windows NT, I always got the error in a window called "MS-DOS
>16-bit
>> SUBSYSTEM" which says :

>> "X#OD   CS=01BF   IP=00008CDE
>> The NTVDM CPU has found a unhandled exception."

>> after which my program is quited completely.

>> I use SWPRUNCMD to start other programs, as well as Clipper-programs as
>> programs like MS-Word, WordPerfect, ..., without any problem. Only with
>the
>> PKZIP and PKUNZIP the problem appears.

>> Does anyone have a solution ?

>> Thank you very much in advance.

>> Michel Driessen
>> Genk (Belgium)

Sat, 02 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT

Quote:
> Dave,

> I have the same error occuring several times a day when running an
ordinary
> protected mode Clipper 5.2e application under NT (Blinker 5.1). Can
you
> explain what exactely "disable 32-bit instructions" means?

> Regards,
> Erik

Erik - what Dave means is that it is possible to call pkzip (and unzip)
with a '-3' parameter to disable 32-bit processing on 80386 or higher
PCs. Just type 'pkzip' and you'll get a help screen, then press '4' to
see the help about the -3 parameter.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 02 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT
The -3 flag only applies to PKZIP and PKUNZIP and causes those two programs
to not attempt to use any 32-bit instructions. It has no affect on Clipper
programs.
--
David G. Holm, Managing Member
Joint Software Development L.L.C

Sun, 03 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3b - Blinker 5.1 - Windows NT
My understanding of the Windows NT DOS virtual machine is that it is only
capable of executing 16-bit instructions.  Any program that tries to execute
32-bit instuctions will cause the VM to crash.  Just another one of
Microsoft's stunning achievements in usability.

Dave Holden
Holden Consulting, Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Quote:
> Dave,

> I have the same error occuring several times a day when running an
ordinary
> protected mode Clipper 5.2e application under NT (Blinker 5.1). Can you
> explain what exactely "disable 32-bit instructions" means?

> Regards,
> Erik

> Dave Holden skrev i meddelelsen ...
> >Michel,

> >I had the exact same problem.  All you have to do is disable 32-bit
> >instructions using PKZIP's "-3" option and it will work fine.

> >Regards,
> >Dave Holden
> >Holden Consulting, Abbotsford, BC, Canada

> >> Hello,

> >> I have a very strange problem.

> >> I often use SWPRUNCMD() which is a command coming from Blinker 5.1.

> >> I usually use this in combination with PKZIP and PKUNZIP.

> >> My source looks like :

> >> ---------------------------------------------

> >> LOCAL PATHNAME := C:\TEMP
> >> LOCAL SWPMEM    := SAVESCREEN(0,0,MAWROW(),79)    // to be able to
> restore
> >> my screen after PKZIP

> >> SWPRUNCMD("PKZIP.EXE -R -P -&W A:\TEST *.*",0,"",TRIM(PATHNAME))

> >> RESTSCREEN(0,0,MAXROW(),79,SWPMEM)                          //
restoring
> >the
> >> screen after PKZIP

> >> ---------------------------------------------

> >> But in Windows NT, I always got the error in a window called "MS-DOS
> >16-bit
> >> SUBSYSTEM" which says :

> >> "X#OD   CS=01BF   IP=00008CDE
> >> The NTVDM CPU has found a unhandled exception."

> >> after which my program is quited completely.

> >> I use SWPRUNCMD to start other programs, as well as Clipper-programs as
> >> programs like MS-Word, WordPerfect, ..., without any problem. Only with
> >the
> >> PKZIP and PKUNZIP the problem appears.

> >> Does anyone have a solution ?

> >> Thank you very much in advance.

> >> Michel Driessen
> >> Genk (Belgium)

Sun, 03 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper 5.3b/Blinker 5.1 and Windows

2. GPF w/ Clipper 5.3b and Blinker 5.1

3. Clipper 5.3b + Workbench + Blinker 5.1 on Win2K SP2

4. Problems using Clipper 5.3b + Blinker 5.1

5. BLINKER 5.1 + CLIPPER 5.3

6. Clipper 5.3b & Windows NT

7. Clipper DLL's using Clipper 5.2e and Blinker 5.10

8. printing problem Clipper 5.1 / Win NT 4

9. Problems with Clipper 5.1 and NT File Server

10. CLIPPER 5.3B / EXOSPACE Vs BLINKER

11. Clipper 5.3b + Six3 + Blinker 3.3

12. msetcurdor() with protected mode error Clipper 5.3b/Blinker 7.0