Code page for French characters?
Author Message
 Code page for French characters?

Quote:

> I've translated a Clipper module to display in French rather than English.
> However, the standard character set in English Windows (code page 437) only
> contains some of the French characters.
> I read up on it, configured my system for code page 850 and 863, yet neither
> one seems to change the character set (for i=0 to 255: ?? chr(i): next i).

Are you sure you did all the steps necessary? It takes a few:

1. You need to load an extended screen driver:
   put 'device=display.sys con=(ega,850)' in your config.sys,
   presuming you want page 850; the 'ega' is correct for anything
   from ega upwards, including vga.
2. You need National Language Support:
   put 'nlsfunc' in your autoexec.bat.
3. You need to load your actual charset, which, contrary to
   expectations, wasn't done in step 1; why you need to tell it
   that you want page 850 there I don't know:
   put 'mode con cp prep=((850)c:\dos\ega.cpi' in your autoexec.bat.
   This must be after the 'nlsfunc'. You might want to check the
   other cpi-files in c:\dos as well. There's a doc.
4. You need to activate the charset you just loaded:
   put a 'chcp 850' in your autoexec after the 'mode con' line.
5. If you want to work with this codepage, as opposed to just printing
   it on the screen, you also need a 'keyb fr' or wherever you are,
   in your autoexec.

I _never_ get these right the first time trying. IMO the idiocy and
wastefulness of this lot is just nother example of the arrogant
attitude of American software producers and Microsh*t in particular,
but that as an aside.

Richard

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. CW and French Accented Characters

2. French characters in Ca-Clipper

3. french characters on Text object

4. French characters (ascii 8 bits)

5. New pages/mirror -- 5100+ links on Object-Orientation (English/French)

6. New pages/mirror/FRENCH version -- 4200+ links on Object-Orientation

7. New pages/mirror/FRENCH version -- 4200+ links on Object-Orientation

8. New pages/mirror -- 5100+ links on Object-Orientation (English/French)

9. New pages and mirrors -- 4500+ links on Object-Orientation (English/French)

10. New pages/mirror/FRENCH version -- 4200+ links on Object-Orientation

11. New pages/mirror -- 5100+ links on Object-Orientation (English/French)

12. New pages and mirrors -- 4500+ links on Object-Orientation (English/French)