clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server
Author Message
 clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server

I have the folowing problem. My workstation (windows 95 & 98) are connected
to a windows nt4 (sp4) server
My program and data are on the server. When I close my program ( all files
are closed also) and I look at the server.
There I see that still some files (dbf and mem files) are open by the user.
Even after several minutes.
When I restart my workstation and I do a new login on the server I see that
these files are closed.
I have a night procedure running that need that all files are closed so I
can use the files exclusive.

How can I resolv this problem.

Vandenbroucke Johan

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server

Quote:
>There I see that still some files (dbf and mem files) are open by
>the user. Even after several minutes.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q219/0/22.ASP

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server
johan,

a little late, but I've been away for a long motorcycle ride :)

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q219/0/22.ASP

this should explain and give you a fix.

Kevin

()()

Quote:
> I have the folowing problem. My workstation (windows 95 & 98) are
connected
> to a windows nt4 (sp4) server
> My program and data are on the server. When I close my program ( all files
> are closed also) and I look at the server.
> There I see that still some files (dbf and mem files) are open by the
user.
> Even after several minutes.
> When I restart my workstation and I do a new login on the server I see
that
> these files are closed.
> I have a night procedure running that need that all files are closed so I
> can use the files exclusive.

> How can I resolv this problem.

> Vandenbroucke Johan

Sat, 19 Apr 2003 05:36:44 GMT
 clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server
Kevin,

   I *may* have this same sort of symptom occurring on on WIN98 Server at a
client's location (not accessible to me).

   To exercide this REGEDIT fix I tried to go thru the steps given in the
document.

   However, (only having REGEDIT - and not REGEDT32), I was only able to step
down thru my directories to ...\services\.

   After that I couldn't see any directory called LanmanServer.

   Does this mean that the same sort of fault can't happen on a Win98 machine
(as a server), or that REGEDIT has a different set of values to place in a
different directory.

TIA,

-Mel Smith

Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:14:03 GMT
 clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server
Hi Mel,

The registry settings were for NT server and workstation only. Win9x doesn't
have the same depth of networking features as NT, AFAIK it doesn't attempt
the same aggressive caching that NT does. It has been mostly these
aggressive caching schemes that have caused data-loss problems with 16-bit
code.

But as I like to say, no warranties expressed or implied. This scenario
could certainly be caused by a similar caching scheme within win9x and it's
vserver.vxd for file sharing. I don't know of any tuning parameters for
vserver under 98, but I've not gone very far down that road (yet).

Kevin.

()()

Quote:
> Kevin,

>    I *may* have this same sort of symptom occurring on on WIN98 Server at
> client's location (not accessible to me).

>    To exercide this REGEDIT fix I tried to go thru the steps given in the
> document.

>    However, (only having REGEDIT - and not REGEDT32), I was only able to
step
> down thru my directories to ...\services\.

>    After that I couldn't see any directory called LanmanServer.

>    Does this mean that the same sort of fault can't happen on a Win98
machine
> (as a server), or that REGEDIT has a different set of values to place in a
> different directory.

> TIA,

> -Mel Smith

Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:29:46 GMT
 clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server
Kevin,
   Thanks  for the response.

   My operator (sitting on a WIN98 server), switches continually between two
applications using a SETKEY(...) procedure (and SWPRUNCMD) to 'flick' to
another app, then a 'quit' back to the starting app.  She does this continually
all day. Once in a while she gets a crash (which looks like a Clipper fault -
e.g., Vrbl Not Found). But, it is *not* and proveable *not*.

   I'm guessing (because I've exhausted all other possibilities) that something
like Opportunistic Locking, Autodisconnect or some such thing is causing this
continual opening/closing of datbases between the two apps  to 'mixup' Win98.

   Appreciate any other thoughts you may have.

-Mel Smith

Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:37:01 GMT
 clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server
Hi Mel,

Just a thought, with the swpruncmd are you calling the second app directly
in the same shell, or are you using the "Start" command to force a new DOS
instance ? IMHO I think that for memory management, and stability, using a
separate DOS session would be safer.

ie. swpruncmd("Start /w myapp.exe") will force a separate dos shell for the
called app and wait for it to finish before returning controll to the
calling app.

Kevin.

()()

Quote:
> Kevin,
>    Thanks  for the response.

>    My operator (sitting on a WIN98 server), switches continually between
two
> applications using a SETKEY(...) procedure (and SWPRUNCMD) to 'flick' to
> another app, then a 'quit' back to the starting app.  She does this
continually
> all day. Once in a while she gets a crash (which looks like a Clipper
fault -
> e.g., Vrbl Not Found). But, it is *not* and proveable *not*.

>    I'm guessing (because I've exhausted all other possibilities) that
something
> like Opportunistic Locking, Autodisconnect or some such thing is causing
this
> continual opening/closing of datbases between the two apps  to 'mixup'
Win98.

>    Appreciate any other thoughts you may have.

> -Mel Smith

Sun, 20 Apr 2003 04:12:02 GMT
 clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server
Kevin,

   Thanks for the insightful statement.

   No, I wait for the operator to press F11, then go into my gig about saving
all open databases and related values in an array, then closing all databases,
then I simply use:
     SWPRUNCMD("myapp",......).

   When the operator wishes to return to the first app, she presses F11 again,
but *this* results (my program knowing where she started) in a Close Databases
command, then a Quit.

   If the operator should start with the 'other' application first, then the
reverse sequence occurs.

   I don't use the START stuff, but I'll give this a try this when I get back
up north in four weeks.

   Thanks again !!

-Mel

Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:17:25 GMT

1. Problem with CLipper/Win′95 Workstation/win NT server (one SOLUTION)

2. Clipper program running on nT-server and W95/98 workstations

3. DOS workstation attaching to NT 4.0 server using Clipper 5.2.e

4. DOS workstation attaching to NT 4.0 server running clipper 5.2e

5. Max Connections to Win NT workstation / Win 2000 pro

6. NT Server Slow, NT Workstation Fast

7. NT Workstation or NT Server?

8. NT Server + NT Workstation + ADS problem.

9. Win NT server, W95, Clipper Printing

10. Clipper 5.3 blunders with Win NT Server?!?!?

11. Win 95 & NT 4.0 (server/workstation) compatibility w/ Clipper

12. Win NT or Win 2000 Server?