Index lock error & Read Error
Author Message
 Index lock error & Read Error

After we have change our server from NOVELL to
WINNT 4.0 , we always get these problem :

INDEX LOCK ERROR
READ ERROR

and other error relating to lock & unlock mechanism.

Is there any different between NOVELL & NT 4
in handling lock & unlock ?

Thanks

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Index lock error & Read Error
Yes!  When I tried it the Locks would never release.   I called the WinNt
tech line and they said the X-Base database software has to run on a fat16
drive.

Quote:
> After we have change our server from NOVELL to
> WINNT 4.0 , we always get these problem :

> INDEX LOCK ERROR
> READ ERROR

> and other error relating to lock & unlock mechanism.

> Is there any different between NOVELL & NT 4
> in handling lock & unlock ?

> Thanks

Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Index lock error & Read Error

Quote:

>> After we have change our server from NOVELL to
>> WINNT 4.0 , we always get these problem :

>> INDEX LOCK ERROR
>> READ ERROR

>> and other error relating to lock & unlock mechanism.

>> Is there any different between NOVELL & NT 4
>> in handling lock & unlock ?

>> Thanks
>Yes!  When I tried it the Locks would never release.   I called the WinNt
>tech line and they said the X-Base database software has to run on a fat16
>drive.

Don't believe everything you hear. They just don't want to tell you
that they are seriously trying to kill DOS.

There are registry settings that fix this bad behavior. The problem is
that newer MS operating systems try to cache too much data.

Here is the reference to the ccmail registry hack which Lotus says
must be in place to keep data loss to a minimum. Download and run this
executable, and it will automate the changes to the registry. (of
course, make a new recovery disk before you do this.)

http://www2.support.lotus.com/ftp/pub/comm/ccmail/misc_utils/ccreg.zip

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

         Your willpower is the steering wheel and
      accelerator of what happens next in your life.

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Index lock error & Read Error

Quote:

>>> After we have change our server from NOVELL to
>>> WINNT 4.0 , we always get these problem :

>>> INDEX LOCK ERROR
>>> READ ERROR

>>> and other error relating to lock & unlock mechanism.

>>> Is there any different between NOVELL & NT 4
>>> in handling lock & unlock ?

>>Yes!  When I tried it the Locks would never release.   I called the WinNt
>>tech line and they said the X-Base database software has to run on a fat16
>>drive.

>Don't believe everything you hear. They just don't want to tell you
>that they are seriously trying to kill DOS.

>There are registry settings that fix this bad behavior. The problem is
>that newer MS operating systems try to cache too much data.

>Here is the reference to the ccmail registry hack which Lotus says
>must be in place to keep data loss to a minimum. Download and run this
>executable, and it will automate the changes to the registry. (of
>course, make a new recovery disk before you do this.)

>http://www2.support.lotus.com/ftp/pub/comm/ccmail/misc_utils/ccreg.zip

BUT, PHIL (namas te)

We've tried CCREGMOD as suggested  and still get LOCK and WRITE errors. What
do we try next?
Here's an example..

    use workfile
    <build it up>
    close workfile
    use mainfile
    append from workfile        << READ ERROR, access denied on workfile >>

The network server manager shows that the <workfile> is still in 'use' by
the workstation.  If we sit for a while, then the network releases this
file.  We could (presumably) continue at this point, but I'll go insane if I
have to recode everything to wait for the files to close before I can
continue...

(Win98 workstations on WinNT server)

Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Index lock error & Read Error
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:42:48 -0500, "Camberley"

Quote:

>BUT, PHIL (namas te)

>We've tried CCREGMOD as suggested  and still get LOCK and WRITE errors. What
>do we try next?

Install Linux?

Quote:
>Here's an example..

>    use workfile
>    <build it up>
>    close workfile
>    use mainfile
>    append from workfile        << READ ERROR, access denied on workfile >>

Well, you could open workfile and copy it to mainfile one record at a
time, thus cutting copy time in half and not creating an intermediate
file.

I use a RECORDCOPY( cFromAlias, cToAlias) function to move an entire
record from one table to another.

Quote:
>The network server manager shows that the <workfile> is still in 'use' by
>the workstation.  If we sit for a while, then the network releases this
>file.  We could (presumably) continue at this point, but I'll go insane if I
>have to recode everything to wait for the files to close before I can
>continue...

I use ADS on NT and Netware, and it never exhibits this behaviour.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper
      Clipper FAQ  http://www.iag.net/~philb/clipper.html

         Your willpower is the steering wheel and
      accelerator of what happens next in your life.

Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Index lock error & Read Error

Quote:
>On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:42:48 -0500, "Camberley"

>>BUT, PHIL (namas te)

>>We've tried CCREGMOD as suggested  and still get LOCK and WRITE errors. What
>>do we try next?

>Install Linux?

>>Here's an example..

>>    use workfile
>>    <build it up>
>>    close workfile
>>    use mainfile
>>    append from workfile        << READ ERROR, access denied on workfile >>

>Well, you could open workfile and copy it to mainfile one record at a
>time, thus cutting copy time in half and not creating an intermediate
>file.

>I use a RECORDCOPY( cFromAlias, cToAlias) function to move an entire
>record from one table to another.

>>The network server manager shows that the <workfile> is still in 'use' by
>>the workstation.  If we sit for a while, then the network releases this
>>file.  We could (presumably) continue at this point, but I'll go insane if I
>>have to recode everything to wait for the files to close before I can
>>continue...

>I use ADS on NT and Netware, and it never exhibits this behaviour.

If it's just a "private" temporary file, why not create it locally on
the workstation?  Then it would be a)faster & b)closed properly <g>

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services

Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Index lock error & Read Error
Um, ok, Linux isn't an option.  Nor is ADS at this point. (no comments,
please)

But I'll try a RecordCopy routine. (I didn't realize this gave improved copy
time !!)  I have a scatter/gather routine around somewhere I should polish
off.  This instance seems isolated enough that that may solve it, if not the
other random events that keep occurring under NT...

Thanks, Phil.
--D.Hill, Camberley Systems

Quote:

>On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:42:48 -0500, "Camberley"

>>We've tried CCREGMOD as suggested  and still get LOCK and WRITE errors.
What
>>do we try next?

>Install Linux?

>>Here's an example..

>>    use workfile
>>    <build it up>
>>    close workfile
>>    use mainfile
>>    append from workfile        << READ ERROR, access denied on workfile

>Well, you could open workfile and copy it to mainfile one record at a
>time, thus cutting copy time in half and not creating an intermediate
>file.

>I use a RECORDCOPY( cFromAlias, cToAlias) function to move an entire
>record from one table to another.

>>The network server manager shows that the <workfile> is still in 'use' by
>>the workstation.  If we sit for a while, then the network releases this
>>file.  We could (presumably) continue at this point, but I'll go insane if
>>have to recode everything to wait for the files to close before I can
>>continue...

>I use ADS on NT and Netware, and it never exhibits this behaviour.

>--

>        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
>         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper
>      Clipper FAQ  http://www.iag.net/~philb/clipper.html

>         Your willpower is the steering wheel and
>      accelerator of what happens next in your life.

Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Error/13002 Index Lock Error!

2. Win2000 and Index lock error

3. index lock error

4. Index Lock Error!

5. Index lock errors

6. Index Lock Error 13001

7. INDEX LOCK ERROR 13000

8. tcom memory read/locked error

9. Error: Time Lock Error

10. DBF/NTX error 1035 Lock Error

11. VO2 - Error reading index file.

12. Server Non Locking Errors & Memo Fields