GPF Help
Author Message
 GPF Help

    We have an application written/compiled in Clipper 5.3 using dbf/cdx files.  It used to run on Novell 3.12.  We had to migrate our file servers a year ago.  We moved the app to a Win2k Advanced Server File Server.  Our users access the app through Windows 2000 Terminal Server.  For the most part, everything went ok.  There is one problem which keeps happening.  Randomly, users will get kicked out of the app via a GPF.  It happens to each user at least 2 or 3 times daily.  We have a max of 50 users in the system at a time.  We have several very large databases (over 500,000 records).  When we archived several of the large databases, the problem occurred less often.  It seems to occur more often after we del all indexes and reindex all databases.  It seems to occur within the program most frequently just before it is going to throw a memo field up on the screen.

    Since it seems to be almost resource related, I have been looking for solutions in that arena.  Any suggestions would be great, but I have a targeted question.  The architecture of the program is:  At the beginning of the app, it opens all databases and indexes and then uses them throughout the program.  Will it be more efficient/less resource intensive if I change the app so that it only opens the particular databases and indexes that it needs for the module it is currently in?  Or will that have no effect.  Thanks.

--
SCOTT FORTNER

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 11:41:20 GMT
 GPF Help

Scott -

Clipper apps will GPF if you use the mouse on Win2K unless you link with Blinker 6.0 or disable the mouse by selecting "Quick Edit" in the DOS window properties.

Roger

[...]

Mon, 26 Dec 2005 07:58:42 GMT
 GPF Help

Yes, I know.  That is not the issue here.

--
SCOTT FORTNER

[...]

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 03:21:35 GMT

1. Bizarre GPF - HELP

2. Error 35 GPF Help

3. GPF GPF GPF GPF in 32bit C4b Application

4. Linker GPF in Clarion 4 + other GPF

5. gpf in 5.3b != gpf in 5.3a

6. GPF ' s Please help

7. GPF ian a module ... please help

8. GPF in CWCLA16.DLL - Help, please!

9. Help GPF ? CRASH

10. Please Help. GPF loading C4b APP file

11. Please Help CW4 Multi DLL app. and GPF

12. GPF in CW4 compile - HELP