Hard Disk Search Tool
Author Message
 Hard Disk Search Tool

Hello,

I'm in need of a hard disk search tool which can scan a subdirectories and
search the contents of dbf files for text strings. I've been told there is a
UNIX tool called grep, just wondering if there is a DOS tool like it.

Any assistance is gratefully acknowledge...

Thanks,

Peter Hughes
Melbourne, Australia

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool
Peter

There is and its called 'grep' or 'fgrep' or 'egrep'.
You should be able to find them on garbo or simtel or other DOS archive
sites.
You can also get window versions of grep.

If you own Delphi then there's a grep in the Delphix\bin directory

Here's a starter
ftp://sunsite.anu.edu.au/pub/pc/garbo/pc/        // Australian Mirror
http://oak.oakland.edu/pub/simtelnet/msdos/
ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'm in need of a hard disk search tool which can scan a subdirectories and
> search the contents of dbf files for text strings. I've been told there is
> UNIX tool called grep, just wondering if there is a DOS tool like it.

> Any assistance is gratefully acknowledge...

> Thanks,

> Peter Hughes
> Melbourne, Australia

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool

Quote:

> MKS - Mortice Kern Systems offered unix tools which run under dos and they
> may still. Grep is one of them. Works like:

> grep -switches 'search string' *.txt     - any file spec

Large parts of the GNU system have been ported to DOS, grep is one such
tool. See <URL:http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/>.

Dave "I couldn't cope with grep" Pearson

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool
Peter,

Phil Barnett released an interactive search-and-replace utility called GSR
last year, I assume that it is still available on his site.

However, you ask for a utility which can scan DBF files, and I wonder if GSR
or grep (see other responses) can handle these types of files. These
utilities are designed to process text files, and may well get confused if
you try to use them on other types of files. The Unix version of grep
certainly had problems with non-text files.

I still use Norton Commander to search for texts in DBF files, however this
is a manual process, and not really suited for large amounts of files (and
it can't handle text in memo fields).

Dick

Quote:

>Hello,

>I'm in need of a hard disk search tool which can scan a subdirectories and
>search the contents of dbf files for text strings. I've been told there is
>UNIX tool called grep, just wondering if there is a DOS tool like it.

>Any assistance is gratefully acknowledge...

>Thanks,

>Peter Hughes
>Melbourne, Australia

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool

Quote:

>MKS - Mortice Kern Systems offered unix tools which run under dos and
>they may still.  Grep is one of them.  Works like:

>grep -switches 'search string' *.txt     - any file spec

>Norton utilities offered TS.exe - text search.  Worked very well but
>you need to manage the subdirectory search yourself.  I use this in
>conjunction with a old PC Magazine utility, sweep.com.  Sweep will
>replicate the command which you type after it in the current
>subdirectory and all children.

FYI, TS.EXE has a switch /S to search all sub-dirs below the starting
point.

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services UK

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool

Quote:

>Dave "I couldn't cope with grep" Pearson

...or WITHOUT some sleep <g>

Ross

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool
The easiest.....

Windows Commander... ALT-F7......

Search for files with wildcard
Into Archives
With tekst inside the files

Fed to listbox, for fast selection and editing and manupilating......

Windows Commander can be found at: www.ghisler.com and is shareware.....

Regards,
Marc Verkade
Naaldwijk, The Netherlands

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'm in need of a hard disk search tool which can scan a subdirectories and
> search the contents of dbf files for text strings. I've been told there is
> UNIX tool called grep, just wondering if there is a DOS tool like it.

> Any assistance is gratefully acknowledge...

> Thanks,

> Peter Hughes
> Melbourne, Australia

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool

Quote:

> >Dave "I couldn't cope with grep" Pearson

> ...or WITHOUT some sleep <g>

S**t!

For n := 1 To 10000
   ? "I will not post before or during the first coffee of the morning"
Next

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool

Quote:

> Unix apps converted to Dos etc?

> Why not use some more modern progs? There are plenty of good
> filefinders....

What is it about unix tools that makes then "not modern"? A fancy GUI does
not a modern tool make....

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool
For Unix this is OK... But for Windows, the commandline empire has vanished
for many years.

The commandline answer gives you less control over the results than the
proposed WC answer does.

Regards, Marc

p.s. Sorry for the personal reply... Wrong button...

Quote:

> > Unix apps converted to Dos etc?

> > Why not use some more modern progs? There are plenty of good
> > filefinders....

> What is it about unix tools that makes then "not modern"? A fancy GUI does
> not a modern tool make....

> --
> Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
> http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
> http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for
Windows.
> Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:23:19 +0200, Marc Verkade sez:

Quote:
>For Unix this is OK... But for Windows, the commandline empire has vanished
>for many years.

>The commandline answer gives you less control over the results than the
>proposed WC answer does.

That's odd, I don't recall c.l.c. becoming a religious discussion
group...

Marc, you can't speak for the whole population of computer users.
Some of us still type faster than we click, and find that we have
far more control over text streams than black-box GUI that uses
more widgets per square foot than a Rube Goldberg device.

Personally, I find command line interfaces faster, smaller, and more
efficient than their GUI counterparts, but I don't expect everyone
to share my preference.  Let the man use grep if he wants to!

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
----
If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
canada (or vice-versa).  All adverti{*filter*}ts will be
returned to your postmaster, eh!

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool

Quote:

> For Unix this is OK... But for Windows, the commandline empire has vanished
> for many years.

Not only is this not true, but the average user's insistence that it is
is one of the reasons they can do so much less with Losedows than they
ought to be able to.

Quote:
> The commandline answer gives you less control over the results than the
> proposed WC answer does.

I don't think you've seen what a decent egrep can do, then. In reality,
it'll give you _much_ more control over the results than any WIMP tool
I've ever seen.
Why do you think Clipper doesn't demand that you use an IDE, but lets
you invoke compiler, linker and make tool, all from the command line,
all as you prefer? More flexibility, that's why.

Richard

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Hard Disk Search Tool

Quote:

> For Unix this is OK... But for Windows, the commandline empire has
> vanished for many years.

I use Windows every day, I use the command line every day. I use Unix (well,
Linux anyway) every day, I use the GUI and the command line every day.

Quote:
> The commandline answer gives you less control over the results than the
> proposed WC answer does.

Less control? How so? You do realise that command line tools can be the
engine of GUI tools don't you?

And we've not even touched the issue of portability...

Quote:
> p.s. Sorry for the personal reply... Wrong button...

S'ok.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 30 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. Hard Disk Search Tool lotus magellin

2. Hard disk problems - Hard ones :))

3. Hard disk I/O the hard way

4. HArd disk size?

5. How can I find the Hard disk Info

6. code to read hard disk serial number

7. Hard Disk Serial Number

8. How to get serial nuber of Hard Disk

9. Read HARD DISK ID or serial number

10. Quickest way to kill Hard Disk Partitions

11. "Hard Disk Surfer" Demo Available

12. New File/Hard disk functions