Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION
Author Message
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

I know I recently berated Clipper 5.3b and publicly declared how I had
reverted to Clipper 5.2e on this very NG a few days back.

I spent a lot of time in August 97 (successfully) trying to get a large
company's Clipper 5.3b Exospace / GPF errors corrected and eventually came
across the solution yesterday when I had to recompile one of their apps.  I
found I had put this little command into their make file.  This solution if
documented, BTW, but if you're anything like me - the manual always seems to
be the last resort.

After linking the .OBJ files with exospace run the following program - the
following parameters helped me:
optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024

I can't believe that I forgot about this and have spent the last week or two
converting all my 5.3 apps back to 5.2. dumb!

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:23:46 +0200, "Chris & Jenny Osborne"

Quote:

>I spent a lot of time in August 97 (successfully) trying to get a large
>company's Clipper 5.3b Exospace / GPF errors corrected and eventually came
>across the solution yesterday when I had to recompile one of their apps.  I
>found I had put this little command into their make file.  This solution is
>documented, BTW, but if you're anything like me - the manual always seems to
>be the last resort.
>After linking the .OBJ files with exospace run the following program - the
>following parameters helped me:
>optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024
>I can't believe that I forgot about this and have spent the last week or two
>converting all my 5.3 apps back to 5.2. dumb!

If you use PBMake, you can place this in the default script .INI file,
and every make script PBInit creates after that will include the
command.

You could add this to PBMAKE.INI:

SUCCESS=optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024

And after a successful link, optedit would run.

You'd never have to remember it again, and you'd never have to build
another link and make script by hand. You would have to replace <your
exe's filename> with the correct one after the .MAK script is created
for you.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
      WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

Quote:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:23:46 +0200, "Chris & Jenny Osborne"

> >After linking the .OBJ files with exospace run the following program - the
> >following parameters helped me:
> >optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024

> SUCCESS=optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024

> And after a successful link, optedit would run.

What will be the solution for Blinker 4.1 ?

Best Regards,

   Pedro Jesus
   Lisbon, Portugal

   http://www.terravista.pt/enseada/1143

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

Pedro Jesus

If you have Blinker 4.1, then BLINKER itself is the solution.
Nothing else required.

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

http://www.brutecom.com.au

Quote:

> > On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:23:46 +0200, "Chris & Jenny Osborne"

> > >After linking the .OBJ files with exospace run the following program -
the
> > >following parameters helped me:
> > >optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024
> > SUCCESS=optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024
> > And after a successful link, optedit would run.

> What will be the solution for Blinker 4.1 ?
> Best Regards,
>    Pedro Jesus
>    Lisbon, Portugal

>    http://www.terravista.pt/enseada/1143

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:12:24 +0100, Pedro Jesus

Quote:

>> On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:23:46 +0200, "Chris & Jenny Osborne"

>> >After linking the .OBJ files with exospace run the following program - the
>> >following parameters helped me:
>> >optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024

>> SUCCESS=optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024

>> And after a successful link, optedit would run.

>What will be the solution for Blinker 4.1 ?

Blinker 4.1 has a stack command.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
      WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

Quote:
>On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:12:24 +0100, Pedro Jesus

>>> On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:23:46 +0200, "Chris & Jenny Osborne"

>>> SUCCESS=optedit <your exe's filename> -nobanner -extramin 1024

>>> And after a successful link, optedit would run.

>>What will be the solution for Blinker 4.1 ?

>Blinker 4.1 has a stack command.

>---

>             WWW   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~philb/
>      WWW Mirror   http://www.*-*-*.com/
>        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

>      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Hi ,  i  have 7 large systems linked in Cipper 5.3B, Exospace, and i have a
lot GPF problems.
I'm already using the OPTEDIT -Extramin 4096  command.   It helped me for a
little, but now i'm still having these GPF.    It seems that GPF principaly
occurs with big EXE, but i remarked that when using the de{*filter*} (CLD) , it
doesn't occurs each time.
Is Blinker 4.1 the solution?   I would like your opinion on that.

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

Quote:

>I started using Blinker at version 1.0, so I'm no expert on Exospace,
>but the latest version of Blinker is very stable and I haven't
>experienced anything like what you complain of here.

>Exospace is a dead product. It was bought by CA and after that there
>was little or no development. No changes for years.

>Blinker is about to go into version 5.0. Jud Cole is still actively
>developing it, and reacts to problems relatively quickly.

>It is one of the best investments you can make if you are serious
>about programming in Clipper. If you call yourself a professional, it
>is a must.

>Whether or not Blinker could be the solution lies more with what is
>causing the GPF. Blinker may or may not be a solution. Are you using
>any older libraries which are from pre 5.3 days?

>You can download a free version of Blinker to test with at the Blinker
>site.

Yes, i'm using clipper tools 3.0 with  the patch (patch30b.zip) that i found
on the Oasis.   You said that the solution lies more with what is causing
the GPF.   That's my bigest question what is causing these GPF,  it happend
at different places in different programs.    For exemple i had a GPF in a
program that rebuild all index of the system, when i linked in CLD the GPF
did not happend.   So i put a .5 second delay between each files rebuild
index, and the GPF is gone, even without CLD.    Weird is'nt it.   I don't
know why but i worked, but i still have many GPF at other places.   I'm
using win95 with a Novell 4.1 network.   I'll try the free version of
Blinker to test.   Do you think that clipper tools could be the problem ?

(P.S.  Exuse my poor english i'm normaly speaking french.)

Thanks for your supoprt.
Fran?ois Gagnon

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:28:57 GMT, "Fran?ois Gagnon"

Quote:

>Hi, i have 7 large systems linked in Cipper 5.3B, Exospace, and i have a
>lot GPF problems.
>I'm already using the OPTEDIT -Extramin 4096  command.   It helped me for a
>little, but now i'm still having these GPF.    It seems that GPF principaly
>occurs with big EXE, but i remarked that when using the de{*filter*} (CLD) , it
>doesn't occurs each time.
>Is Blinker 4.1 the solution?   I would like your opinion on that.

I started using Blinker at version 1.0, so I'm no expert on Exospace,
but the latest version of Blinker is very stable and I haven't
experienced anything like what you complain of here.

Exospace is a dead product. It was bought by CA and after that there
was little or no development. No changes for years.

Blinker is about to go into version 5.0. Jud Cole is still actively
developing it, and reacts to problems relatively quickly.

It is one of the best investments you can make if you are serious
about programming in Clipper. If you call yourself a professional, it
is a must.

Whether or not Blinker could be the solution lies more with what is
causing the GPF. Blinker may or may not be a solution. Are you using
any older libraries which are from pre 5.3 days?

You can download a free version of Blinker to test with at the Blinker
site.

---

             WWW   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~philb/
      WWW Mirror   http://www.*-*-*.com/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

Quote:

>I started using Blinker at version 1.0, so I'm no expert on Exospace,
>but the latest version of Blinker is very stable and I haven't
>experienced anything like what you complain of here.

>Exospace is a dead product. It was bought by CA and after that there
>was little or no development. No changes for years.

>Blinker is about to go into version 5.0. Jud Cole is still actively
>developing it, and reacts to problems relatively quickly.

>It is one of the best investments you can make if you are serious
>about programming in Clipper. If you call yourself a professional, it
>is a must.

>Whether or not Blinker could be the solution lies more with what is
>causing the GPF. Blinker may or may not be a solution. Are you using
>any older libraries which are from pre 5.3 days?

>You can download a free version of Blinker to test with at the Blinker
>site.

Like i told you in the previous news i had downlaoded  the demo version of
Blinker, and i stil got some GPF problems.   It seams that the problem is
realy Clipper 5.3B.   Now i'm thinking to going back to 5.2E, which seams to
be a preaty much stable version.   But i have just one question, i'm using
dbfcdx and dbfntx rdd.   Is the dbfcdx rdd working good with clipper 5.3E?

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

Fran?ois

There are problems with the DBFCDX driver (SIXDRIVER V1) in 5.2e (reading
from this NG over the last couple of years).
Don't ask me to document them though, as I've nevere used it.
I've only ever used the commercial versions of SIXDRIVER (V3.02 latest) &
COMIX (V3.09 latest).

If you are going to purchase Blinker V4 then get the commercial version of
either COMIX or SIXDRIVER as well.

I can recommend either.

I do my DOS programming in Clipper 5.2e (deleted 5.3 a couple of months
ago) and find it very, very stable.

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

http://www.brutecom.com.au

Quote:

> >I started using Blinker at version 1.0, so I'm no expert on Exospace,
> >but the latest version of Blinker is very stable and I haven't
> >experienced anything like what you complain of here.

> >Exospace is a dead product. It was bought by CA and after that there
> >was little or no development. No changes for years.

> >Blinker is about to go into version 5.0. Jud Cole is still actively
> >developing it, and reacts to problems relatively quickly.

> >It is one of the best investments you can make if you are serious
> >about programming in Clipper. If you call yourself a professional, it
> >is a must.

> >Whether or not Blinker could be the solution lies more with what is
> >causing the GPF. Blinker may or may not be a solution. Are you using
> >any older libraries which are from pre 5.3 days?

> >You can download a free version of Blinker to test with at the Blinker
> >site.

> Like i told you in the previous news i had downlaoded  the demo version
of
> Blinker, and i stil got some GPF problems.   It seams that the problem is
> realy Clipper 5.3B.   Now i'm thinking to going back to 5.2E, which seams
> be a preaty much stable version.   But i have just one question, i'm
using
> dbfcdx and dbfntx rdd.   Is the dbfcdx rdd working good with clipper

5.3E?

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:09:16 GMT, "Fran?ois Gagnon"

Quote:

>Yes, i'm using clipper tools 3.0 with  the patch (patch30b.zip) that i found
>on the Oasis.   You said that the solution lies more with what is causing
>the GPF.   That's my bigest question what is causing these GPF,  it happend
>at different places in different programs.    For exemple i had a GPF in a
>program that rebuild all index of the system, when i linked in CLD the GPF
>did not happend.   So i put a .5 second delay between each files rebuild
>index, and the GPF is gone, even without CLD.    Weird is'nt it.   I don't
>know why but i worked, but i still have many GPF at other places.   I'm
>using win95 with a Novell 4.1 network.   I'll try the free version of
>Blinker to test.   Do you think that clipper tools could be the problem ?

Try Blinker first.

Have you updated to vrdrupd.zip? (not needed on OSR2)

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
      WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

Quote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:09:16 GMT, "Fran?ois Gagnon"

> .   So i put a .5 second delay between each files rebuild
> >index, and the GPF is gone, even without CLD.    Weird is'nt it.   I don't
> >know why but i worked, but i still have many GPF at other places.   I'm
> >using win95 with a Novell 4.1 network.   I'll try the free version of
> >Blinker to test.   Do you think that clipper tools could be the problem ?

> Try Blinker first.

> Have you updated to vrdrupd.zip? (not needed on OSR2)

> ---

>              WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
>       WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
>         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

>       I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

It happen also with Blinker.

Best Regards,

   Pedro Jesus
   Lisbon, Portugal

   http://www.terravista.pt/enseada/1143

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:27:36 +0100, Pedro Jesus

Quote:

>> .   So i put a .5 second delay between each files rebuild
>> >index, and the GPF is gone, even without CLD.    Weird is'nt it.   I don't
>> >know why but i worked, but i still have many GPF at other places.   I'm
>> >using win95 with a Novell 4.1 network.   I'll try the free version of
>> >Blinker to test.   Do you think that clipper tools could be the problem ?

>> Try Blinker first.

>> Have you updated to vrdrupd.zip? (not needed on OSR2)
>It happen also with Blinker.

OK, so in your case, it's not the linker. It's probably some C code
that is not protected mode compliant. GPF's don't happen by accident.
Every one I've ever tracked down was some non-compliant C code.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
      WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

Quote:
>On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:09:16 GMT, "Fran?ois Gagnon"

>Try Blinker first.

>Have you updated to vrdrupd.zip? (not needed on OSR2)

I tried Blinker and i stil got the problem.    I looked on the Oasis and i
found two different patches for clipper tools 3, CT3P.ZIP (12/15/93) and
PATCH30B.zip (09/01/95).   I had use PATCH30B but i didn't use CT3P.
Should i use CT3P.zip patch  or is it incorporated in PATCH30B?   And,
finanly, no i didn't updated to vrdrupd.zip, what does it change?

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.3B Exospace/GPF SOLUTION

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:24:43 GMT, "Fran?ois Gagnon"

Quote:

>>On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:09:16 GMT, "Fran?ois Gagnon"

>>Try Blinker first.

>>Have you updated to vrdrupd.zip? (not needed on OSR2)

>I tried Blinker and i stil got the problem.    I looked on the Oasis and i
>found two different patches for clipper tools 3, CT3P.ZIP (12/15/93) and
>PATCH30B.zip (09/01/95).   I had use PATCH30B but i didn't use CT3P.
>Should i use CT3P.zip patch  or is it incorporated in PATCH30B?   And,
>finanly, no i didn't updated to vrdrupd.zip, what does it change?

CT3P makes your Clipper tools protected mode capable. Without that
patch, you will have nothing but problems when using CT in protected
mode.

vrdr(2)upd.zip corrects a flaw in Windows 95 (prior to OSR2) when
using NT as a server. Data gets lost and files get corrupted. This
patch fixes the problem.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
      WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. GPF Clipper 5.3b/Exospace HEEEEELP

2. 5.3b + Clip Tools 3.0b + Exospace = GPF errors

3. 5.3b + Clip Tools 3.0b + Exospace = GPF errors

4. CLIPPER 5.3B / EXOSPACE Vs BLINKER

5. Help on Exospace & clipper 5.3b

6. Clipper 5.3b/Exospace app terminating

7. GPF Clipper 5.3a, CA-Tools 3.0b and Exospace

8. GPF in Clipper tools + exospace

9. Clipper 5.3 + Exospace + 3rd party library = GPF!

10. GPF w/ Clipper 5.3b and Blinker 5.1

11. Clipper 5.3b/Win2000 mouse causes GPF.

12. Getting GPF in XP even with Blinker 6.0/Clipper 5.3b