YAWin2KQ (Yet Another Win 2K Question)
Author Message
 YAWin2KQ (Yet Another Win 2K Question)

Hi All;

I've scanned Google but can't find an answer to this specific
question:

Will a clipper call to "Run()" with parameters work under Win2K?  My
apps are {*filter*} with calls to run() like: "Run( Pkzip -ex cTarget
cSource )".

I'm told that this will fail under Win2K as a DOS session cannot load
another DOS session - has anyone tested or encountered this?

TIA,

Scott

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:23:50 GMT
 YAWin2KQ (Yet Another Win 2K Question)

Quote:
>I've scanned Google but can't find an answer to this specific
>question:

>Will a clipper call to "Run()" with parameters work under Win2K?

Scott-

Take a look at SWPRUNCMD, it is a Blinker function.  I have used it to launch
Wordpad from a Clipper 5.2e running on W2K.

HTH,

Paul

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:35:15 GMT
 YAWin2KQ (Yet Another Win 2K Question)

Quote:

> >I've scanned Google but can't find an answer to this specific
> >question:

> >Will a clipper call to "Run()" with parameters work under Win2K?

> Scott-

> Take a look at SWPRUNCMD, it is a Blinker function.  I have used it to launch
> Wordpad from a Clipper 5.2e running on W2K.

> HTH,

> Paul

Thanks, Paul. Any experience with calling another DOS app with SWPRUNCMD under W2K?

Scott

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:13:17 GMT
 YAWin2KQ (Yet Another Win 2K Question)
From memory, I have tested this under Win2K and it is certainly much used
under Windows NT4.

FUNCTION NTCmdRun(cCommandLine)
IF NT_WORKSTATION
    RUN ("CMD /C " + cCommandLine)
    RETURN .T.
    ENDIF
else use Blinker's SWPRUNCMD().

The CMD /C spawns a new command session that terminates on completion of the
command line.  By default COMMAND.COM is called by RUN or SWPRUNCMD, but
this does not seem to cope with 32 bit commands and long file names.
CMD.EXE seems to behave better.

John Davis.

Quote:
> Hi All;

> I've scanned Google but can't find an answer to this specific
> question:

> Will a clipper call to "Run()" with parameters work under Win2K?  My
> apps are {*filter*} with calls to run() like: "Run( Pkzip -ex cTarget
> cSource )".

> I'm told that this will fail under Win2K as a DOS session cannot load
> another DOS session - has anyone tested or encountered this?

> TIA,

> Scott

Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:53:15 GMT
 YAWin2KQ (Yet Another Win 2K Question)

Quote:

> Hi All;

> I've scanned Google but can't find an answer to this specific
> question:

> Will a clipper call to "Run()" with parameters work under Win2K?  My
> apps are {*filter*} with calls to run() like: "Run( Pkzip -ex cTarget
> cSource )".

> I'm told that this will fail under Win2K as a DOS session cannot load
> another DOS session - has anyone tested or encountered this?

> TIA,

> Scott

Hi Scott,

Following is a code snippet that is compiled with 5.3b and Blinker 6.0
It runs it under DOS 6.2, W95, W98, WNT4 and W2K. Has not been tested with ME or XP.

cZipFile := "20020201.ZIP"
cFileSpec := "*.DBF"
cRunString := "PKZIP -3 -EX " + cZipFile + " " + cFileSpec + " > NUL"

IF SwpRunCmd( cRunString, 0 )
   // pkzip errorlevel check
   IF ! SwpErrLev() == 0
      // pkzip error
      // "PKZip ErrorLevel: " + Str( SwpErrLev() )
   ENDIF
ELSE
   // swap error
   // "Major: " + Str( SwpErrMaj() )
   // "Minor: " + Str( SwpErrMin() )
ENDIF

Good luck

Robert Mitchell

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:23:17 GMT

1. Non CW Question : Win 2k Adv Server keeps rebooting

2. YANQ: Yet Another Newbie Question (Gen/Win 3.1/DOS)

3. Win 2K app problem

4. CFD and Win 2k group > 64K

5. Clarion for dos 3009 & win 2k

6. Weird Win 2K indexing problem

7. NT4 Workstation / Win 2K Pro Registry Setting Required

8. Win 2k and clarion dos ctrl-esc key

9. Dos App running on Win 2K

10. win 2000, 2K and screen

11. SCSI pass thru - Linux, Win NT/2K/XP

12. REXX and WIN 2k