DataEase problem - <Argh><HELP!>
Author Message
 DataEase problem - <Argh><HELP!>

I have a local client who has a rather complicated system running on a
Novell 3.x LAN that is apparently written in a dialect called
DataEase <?>.

The datafiles appear to be standard dBase III .dbf files, from what I can
tell.

Their problem is that the vendor they got this dog from is now defunct
and they have no source <groan>.  The system requires several minor
changes if it is to be continued, and I don't fancy a complete rewrite in
FORCE or Clipper due to the complexity.

Can anyone give me any info on DataEase?  Is it a true compiled product,
or a p-compiled product such as Clipper or Fox whose source can be
recovered in situations such as these?

Where can info be gotten on DataEase?

TIA for any and all advice;  these guys are really in a _bind_.

Rgds
Herb

Sun, 29 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 DataEase problem - <Argh><HELP!>

Quote:
>Their problem is that the vendor they got this dog from is now defunct
>and they have no source <groan>.  The system requires several minor
>changes if it is to be continued, and I don't fancy a complete rewrite in
>FORCE or Clipper due to the complexity.

What you need is ACCESS to the database with some thing like with level 1 or
10 (I do not remember which one is better) security with ability to change
forms, reports etc.

Once you are in, just change forms/reports etc to suit your requirements.

Rao
rao

Sun, 29 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 DataEase problem - <Argh><HELP!>
Quote:
>I have a local client who has a rather complicated system
running on a
>Novell 3.x LAN that is apparently written in a dialect
called
>DataEase <?>.

>The datafiles appear to be standard dBase III .dbf files,
from what I can
>tell.

>Their problem is that the vendor they got this dog from
is now defunct
>and they have no source <groan>.  The system requires
several minor
>changes if it is to be continued, and I don't fancy a

complete rewrite in

Quote:
>FORCE or Clipper due to the complexity.

Since I've faced similar situations, I recommend to you
that you recommend them 8-)
to think seriously about this mess and spend the needed
amount of money to rewrite the application (sooner or
later they'll have to do it). And, this time, taking care
to choose some platform that offers much support.
May be they can live with a few minor changes for some
time, but in some moment, they gonna need to revamp the
entire app.

Hope this helps (altought is not what your ask for). Good
luck.

Merino Aller & Asociados                       Callao 232, 6to.11
Research & Development Manager            (1022) Bs.As, Argentina

Sun, 29 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. ><><><><>Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp on INT 14!><><><><><>

2. <<<<<YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT >>>>>>>>>> 2103

3. >>>HELP, DECOMPILER<<<

4. <><><> FLOODFILL <><><>

5. <<<XXX Password>>>

7. <<<XXX Password>>>