Weird Win 2K indexing problem
Author Message
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem

Hi folks,

I have a hot key ALT+R to allow a user to reindex the files. This
procedure is also invoked when restoring files. Under Windows 95, 98 and
NT 4 SP6A, it works perfectly, creating all 14 .CDX files.

Under Windows 2000 Pro, final build with all patches, if I erase all of
the .CDX files and start the program, all 14 are created. If I then do
an ALT+R, only 10 of the 14 are created. Invoking ALT+R a second time
will create all 14. If I restore the database files, only 10 of the 14
are recreated. This is the scary situation.

Now, here's the interesting part. There are  main tables and 4 history
tables, one for each main table. It's the 4 history tables that are not
being created.

Standalone machine, all .CDX files are erased before recreating. I
stepped through the code and when it's failing and all of the code is
being run properly, but no new temporary or zero-byte files are created
while the indexing is in process, and of course, no .CDX file either. I
watched the folder from another window.

This really smells like some kind of weird file handle error, but
there's no DOS ERROR 4 being popped. CONFIG.NT has its default of 40. If
I change it to 201, there's no difference.

Clipper 5.2e
Causeway 1.32
Comix 3.00.09

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I did a search in the Microsoft KB and it referenced a CONFIG.DOS file
for a similar problem with WordPerfect for DOS. Is CONFIG.DOS some kind
of WordPerfect file,'cause I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere
else.

Thanks,

Ray

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem

Quote:
>Hi folks,

weird scenario description removed...this is a family show if you
please!

Quote:
>This really smells like some kind of weird file handle error, but
>there's no DOS ERROR 4 being popped. CONFIG.NT has its default of 40. If
>I change it to 201, there's no difference.

>Clipper 5.2e
>Causeway 1.32
>Comix 3.00.09

>Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hi Ray,

Time to call in Mulder and Scully.

Quote:

>I did a search in the Microsoft KB and it referenced a CONFIG.DOS file
>for a similar problem with WordPerfect for DOS. Is CONFIG.DOS some kind
>of WordPerfect file,'cause I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere
>else.

It is in the root directory on my Win95 system....not anything to do
with WordPerfect...maybe OSImperfect though <g>

My small contribution...hope it helps.

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
(affordable source recovery available)
(Fix1900 utility available)
(custom hardware interfaces)
www.irvis.nl

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem
Hi Ray,

We have just converted our system from NTX to Comix.  One problem we
encountered between the two drivers was that occassionaly when creating
temporary index files, the comix (CDX) files are reported as 0 bytes when
viewing in another window.  The system still seemed to work ok, but if a
system crash occured, we would get corruption detected errors when the
system tried to create the same temporary file.  Placing a commit after the
indexing seemed to make sure the file was flushed out to the server.

Just a thought,

Dan

Quote:
> Hi folks,

> I have a hot key ALT+R to allow a user to reindex the files. This
> procedure is also invoked when restoring files. Under Windows 95, 98 and
> NT 4 SP6A, it works perfectly, creating all 14 .CDX files.

> Under Windows 2000 Pro, final build with all patches, if I erase all of
> the .CDX files and start the program, all 14 are created. If I then do
> an ALT+R, only 10 of the 14 are created. Invoking ALT+R a second time
> will create all 14. If I restore the database files, only 10 of the 14
> are recreated. This is the scary situation.

> Now, here's the interesting part. There are  main tables and 4 history
> tables, one for each main table. It's the 4 history tables that are not
> being created.

> Standalone machine, all .CDX files are erased before recreating. I
> stepped through the code and when it's failing and all of the code is
> being run properly, but no new temporary or zero-byte files are created
> while the indexing is in process, and of course, no .CDX file either. I
> watched the folder from another window.

> This really smells like some kind of weird file handle error, but
> there's no DOS ERROR 4 being popped. CONFIG.NT has its default of 40. If
> I change it to 201, there's no difference.

> Clipper 5.2e
> Causeway 1.32
> Comix 3.00.09

> Any thoughts are appreciated!

> I did a search in the Microsoft KB and it referenced a CONFIG.DOS file
> for a similar problem with WordPerfect for DOS. Is CONFIG.DOS some kind
> of WordPerfect file,'cause I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere
> else.

> Thanks,

> Ray

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem
CONFIG.DOS is CONFIG.SYS for your
dos window in 95->2000.

What you put inside configures your dos
window environment albeit with a few caveats.

Warmest regards,
Eu-chong

| Hi folks,
|
| I have a hot key ALT+R to allow a user to reindex the files. This
| procedure is also invoked when restoring files. Under Windows 95, 98 and
| NT 4 SP6A, it works perfectly, creating all 14 .CDX files.
|
| Under Windows 2000 Pro, final build with all patches, if I erase all of
| the .CDX files and start the program, all 14 are created. If I then do
| an ALT+R, only 10 of the 14 are created. Invoking ALT+R a second time
| will create all 14. If I restore the database files, only 10 of the 14
| are recreated. This is the scary situation.
|
| Now, here's the interesting part. There are  main tables and 4 history
| tables, one for each main table. It's the 4 history tables that are not
| being created.
|
| Standalone machine, all .CDX files are erased before recreating. I
| stepped through the code and when it's failing and all of the code is
| being run properly, but no new temporary or zero-byte files are created
| while the indexing is in process, and of course, no .CDX file either. I
| watched the folder from another window.
|
| This really smells like some kind of weird file handle error, but
| there's no DOS ERROR 4 being popped. CONFIG.NT has its default of 40. If
| I change it to 201, there's no difference.
|
| Clipper 5.2e
| Causeway 1.32
| Comix 3.00.09
|
| Any thoughts are appreciated!
|
| I did a search in the Microsoft KB and it referenced a CONFIG.DOS file
| for a similar problem with WordPerfect for DOS. Is CONFIG.DOS some kind
| of WordPerfect file,'cause I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere
| else.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Ray

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem
Hi Ray,
Are you DBF files Large. Is you program compiled  to run in DOS protected
mode. I may have a similar problem unger NT SP6a and Win 2000 where indexing
causes a crash without an error message of any sort and the amount of
extended memory in the DOS box reduces from 15MB to 900k after the crash.

Cheers
Roger Harris

Quote:
> Hi folks,

> I have a hot key ALT+R to allow a user to reindex the files. This
> procedure is also invoked when restoring files. Under Windows 95, 98 and
> NT 4 SP6A, it works perfectly, creating all 14 .CDX files.

> Under Windows 2000 Pro, final build with all patches, if I erase all of
> the .CDX files and start the program, all 14 are created. If I then do
> an ALT+R, only 10 of the 14 are created. Invoking ALT+R a second time
> will create all 14. If I restore the database files, only 10 of the 14
> are recreated. This is the scary situation.

> Now, here's the interesting part. There are  main tables and 4 history
> tables, one for each main table. It's the 4 history tables that are not
> being created.

> Standalone machine, all .CDX files are erased before recreating. I
> stepped through the code and when it's failing and all of the code is
> being run properly, but no new temporary or zero-byte files are created
> while the indexing is in process, and of course, no .CDX file either. I
> watched the folder from another window.

> This really smells like some kind of weird file handle error, but
> there's no DOS ERROR 4 being popped. CONFIG.NT has its default of 40. If
> I change it to 201, there's no difference.

> Clipper 5.2e
> Causeway 1.32
> Comix 3.00.09

> Any thoughts are appreciated!

> I did a search in the Microsoft KB and it referenced a CONFIG.DOS file
> for a similar problem with WordPerfect for DOS. Is CONFIG.DOS some kind
> of WordPerfect file,'cause I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere
> else.

> Thanks,

> Ray

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem
In the past I have used the environment setting:

SET CLIPPER=E0;

To fix weird indexing problems.

I'm not running or have not tested this with Win2000.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem
GEC

Config.dos is used by the system (95/98 only) when you boot into DOS mode,
it has nothing to do with DOS windows.

Eg
This how you can get memory management in Win95/98 booting into DOS mode and
not have it interfere with normal windows bootup.

Config.sys
--------------------------
FILES=200
BUFFERS=40

Config.dos
--------------------------
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
FILES=200
BUFFERS=40

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Quote:
> CONFIG.DOS is CONFIG.SYS for your
> dos window in 95->2000.

> What you put inside configures your dos
> window environment albeit with a few caveats.

> Warmest regards,
> Eu-chong

> | Hi folks,
> |
> | I have a hot key ALT+R to allow a user to reindex the files. This
> | procedure is also invoked when restoring files. Under Windows 95, 98 and
> | NT 4 SP6A, it works perfectly, creating all 14 .CDX files.
> |
> | Under Windows 2000 Pro, final build with all patches, if I erase all of
> | the .CDX files and start the program, all 14 are created. If I then do
> | an ALT+R, only 10 of the 14 are created. Invoking ALT+R a second time
> | will create all 14. If I restore the database files, only 10 of the 14
> | are recreated. This is the scary situation.
> |
> | Now, here's the interesting part. There are  main tables and 4 history
> | tables, one for each main table. It's the 4 history tables that are not
> | being created.
> |
> | Standalone machine, all .CDX files are erased before recreating. I
> | stepped through the code and when it's failing and all of the code is
> | being run properly, but no new temporary or zero-byte files are created
> | while the indexing is in process, and of course, no .CDX file either. I
> | watched the folder from another window.
> |
> | This really smells like some kind of weird file handle error, but
> | there's no DOS ERROR 4 being popped. CONFIG.NT has its default of 40. If
> | I change it to 201, there's no difference.
> |
> | Clipper 5.2e
> | Causeway 1.32
> | Comix 3.00.09
> |
> | Any thoughts are appreciated!
> |
> | I did a search in the Microsoft KB and it referenced a CONFIG.DOS file
> | for a similar problem with WordPerfect for DOS. Is CONFIG.DOS some kind
> | of WordPerfect file,'cause I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere
> | else.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Ray

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem
Hi Dan,

Quote:
> We have just converted our system from NTX to Comix.  One problem we
> encountered between the two drivers was that occassionaly when
creating
> temporary index files, the comix (CDX) files are reported as 0 bytes
when
> viewing in another window.  The system still seemed to work ok, but if
> system crash occured, we would get corruption detected errors when the
> system tried to create the same temporary file.  Placing a commit
after the
> indexing seemed to make sure the file was flushed out to the server.

Thanks for the thought. I ran into exactly this issue sometime ago and
also discovered the same fix. Unfortunately, the dbcommit() is there.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Ray

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem
Hi Roger,

Quote:
> Are you DBF files Large?

Tiny, less than 100 records max.

Quote:
> Is you program compiled  to run in DOS protected mode?

Yes, Causeway 1.32

Quote:
>I may have a similar problem unger NT SP6a and Win 2000 where indexing
> causes a crash without an error message of any sort and the amount of
> extended memory in the DOS box reduces from 15MB to 900k after the

crash.

Unfortunately, it works perfectly under Windows NT 4.0 SP6a.

Thanks for the reply!

Ray

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Weird Win 2K indexing problem

Quote:
> In the past I have used the environment setting:
> SET CLIPPER=E0;
> To fix weird indexing problems.

Thanks for the response. The program is linked with Causeway 1.32, so it
doesn't use expanded memory.

Ray

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win 2K app problem

2. MASM problems in Win 2k.

3. sys.argv problem in Win 2k

4. Problem - Running Dbase/Clipper Indexing on a Pentium in Win 95

5. CFD and Win 2k group > 64K

6. Clarion for dos 3009 & win 2k

7. Non CW Question : Win 2k Adv Server keeps rebooting

8. NT4 Workstation / Win 2K Pro Registry Setting Required

9. Win 2k and clarion dos ctrl-esc key

10. YAWin2KQ (Yet Another Win 2K Question)

11. Dos App running on Win 2K

12. win 2000, 2K and screen