Unable to read dbf file as dbase file
Author Message
 Unable to read dbf file as dbase file

Hello,

I have a file (inq.dbf) that was created with Clipper.  I can read the file
with the DBU utility and can create another file with it.  However I cannot
read either file as a dBase file or FoxPro file using ODBC into Access or
Excel.

Is this a special non-dbase file structure or is there something I can do to
convert it into normal dBase?

Thanks,
Tom deBettencourt

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Unable to read dbf file as dbase file
If you have memo fields in the table, then get rid of them and try to link
to it using Access. You don't have to use ODBC.

HTH, Igor

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have a file (inq.dbf) that was created with Clipper.  I can read the
file
> with the DBU utility and can create another file with it.  However I
cannot
> read either file as a dBase file or FoxPro file using ODBC into Access or
> Excel.

> Is this a special non-dbase file structure or is there something I can do
> convert it into normal dBase?

> Thanks,
> Tom deBettencourt

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Unable to read dbf file as dbase file
There is one byte in the header which is different between pure dBase
style DBF's and Clipper DBF's.

Take a look at the Oasis for some documentation.

Or if you are ready to try a bit of hacking - here is a head start:

   Create an empty table with both.  There should be one or two fields
   doesn't matter but the structure should be exactly the same.

   Open each table with a hex editor.

            dBase      Clipper
  9th byte  41h        42h
 53rd byte  01h        00h

Make one change and then the other to see which is the one needed to be
able to read the Clipper created DBF with dBase.

Hope this helps.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Unable to read dbf file as dbase file

Quote:
>There is one byte in the header which is different between pure dBase
>style DBF's and Clipper DBF's.

The very first byte in a DBF file needs to be 03 in order for Clipper
to be able to read the file as a database file. I use a hex editor...

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Unable to read dbf file as dbase file
Thanks for your help.  I got rid of the memo fields and was able to open it.

Tom deBettencourt

Quote:
> If you have memo fields in the table, then get rid of them and try to link
> to it using Access. You don't have to use ODBC.

> HTH, Igor

> > Hello,

> > I have a file (inq.dbf) that was created with Clipper.  I can read the
> file
> > with the DBU utility and can create another file with it.  However I
> cannot
> > read either file as a dBase file or FoxPro file using ODBC into Access
or
> > Excel.

> > Is this a special non-dbase file structure or is there something I can
do
> > convert it into normal dBase?

> > Thanks,
> > Tom deBettencourt

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. need to convert a DAT file on cobol a DBF file on dbase

2. DBU DBF FILE nad FOXPRO 2.6A dbf file

3. Question about dBASE 2.4a DBF files

4. Fujitsu PowerCOBOL: Accessing Dbase files (.DBF) Thru ODBC

5. Open DBF (dbase) files with tcl

6. module for accessing dBase (.dbf) files?

7. unable to open files read only in c55 beta

8. APL reading dBase files

9. Read from a dBase.IV file

10. Reading text file into DBase?

11. Reading DBASE files